Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m 6 foot and I weigh 350 pounds and I’m interested in getting my first bike but I don’t know what to get because of my size. I want to get a reliable sports bike or cruiser that can do highway speeds easily for a long period of time any suggestions.

·
Very Famous Person
9,724 Posts
--

I'm a large amount of biker myself, so I understand your situation. If you consider the position of riding for a long time in a stretch, you'll probably be more comfortable on a bike that lets you sit more upright. Most "sport bikes" are the type that put you into a lean forward position with more pressure on the boys, too. So you would more likely be happy on a cruiser. There are many out there in the 900-1600 cc range that are several years old, not Harleys, that aren't so expensive. One like that would serve the purpose. The exact brand isn't so important if it's from a manufacturer that has dealers in your area. Not that you have to buy from a dealer, although that's not a bad idea.

In several years you could move to something more desireable, but you won't know for sure what you will want until you've ridden for awhile. It's possible that with the experience in a beginner's riding course, you may have enough skill to get by on a first bike larger than those provided in the courses. Then time in some parking lots will give you enough confidence to get out on the back roads. Then will come traffic, then freeways. Don't start out on a road trip.

--

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I'd go to all the dealers in your area. Sit on as many bikes as you can and see what fits you. It's hard for me to imagine you would be comfortable on a small bike, I think a larger bike with a larger saddle would be more comfortable.
And don't avoid the Harley dealerships, they take trades of most all makes and models and although my experience with Harley is rather limited, I was encouraged to sit on any bike that caught my interest when I was looking.
Good luck finding your bike!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I read a lot of reviews and recommendations before I got back into riding.
Funny thing. I found lots of advice for good bikes starter bikes for little people,
Not many recommendations for bigger guys.

The usual advice is get a small used bike to learn on. From almost everybody, including the instructor.

I did find the MSF course useful. In addition to learning the basic safety requirements to riding.
I got to try a bunch of different bikes. I found out quickly Honda rebels were to small and uncomfortable for me at 5 11. I had to sit on the rear seat. There was a bigger guy than me who picked one out for the whole course. So I guess it’s a personal thing.
While I found the CRF 250 dual sport way more comfortable and easier. Taller upright seating position. I could flat foot easily.

I went and sat on a couple of mid size Honda adventure bikes. I almost bought one.

In the end I ignored the by a small used bike advice. I bought a Triumph Street Twin 900.
It’s often said to be a great first bike for little people.
Even so I find it comfortable. I like being upright. It felt familiar. To the bikes I rode 35 40 years ago. It’s a Standard Classic. Easier to ride than the bikes I rode on the MSF course.
I’m 5 11, I’ve ride it round town lots. I’ve also enjoyed a few road trips. With a couple of consecutive 500 mile days.
Standard you get buffeted at highway speed. I’ve never ridden any other kind of bike so. I don’t know any better.

Big thing it’s only 198kg or just over 420 pounds. Not a heavy bike.

To me it was a big bike. I think of it now as a nice little bike I really enjoy.

A big cruiser is like 900 pounds.
I have made a few errors. Gas station, my back ally. Even getting it in and out the garage.
I could recover the 400 pounds before I dropped it.

It’s my first bike in over 30 years. I’m not sure I got the right bike. I still wonder if I should have got a mid size adventure bike.

Part of the fun, deciding what bike to get next.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The great thing about a standard is they are so easy to make them "your" bike with the accessories "you" want. They're easy to work on because almost everything is right there in the open.

They may not have the performance other purpose built bikes have, but they can provide just as many thrills, and most street riders *can't ride at their bikes performance limits anyway.

*(UK exception.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not that it's too comparable but I'm about 6'3" and 260. I just recently got an old 400 for a pretty good deal. It's got a sportier build (for the year) but still offers an upright riding position that I find much easier to learn on (new rider here as well). My skill definitely doesn't exceed the capabilities of the bike and it offers plenty of giddy up, so don't necessarily think you have to go 1000+ cc right away.

It all comes down to what's your budget and as others have said, what's comfortable for you. If you do get a used bike be prepared to do some work or have work done. You'll have days that you'd rather be riding but instead you're learning how to chase Gremlins with a used bike if you do the work yourself. A lot of the guys here are extremely helpful if you do go that route. And once you get one you'll be planning what to get next. I've got a small fleet of small boats so it's only logical that a small fleet of motorcycles is next on the list 😅.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts