Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have been riding for awhile now and went from a klr 659 to my current softail 1300 but been lately wondering if i should go bigger i miss the turning ability the klr had but love the speed and torque of my softail the bike i am thinking of getting is the bmw s1000rr the only sport bike i am interested but cant afford to keep both bikes so i would have to sacrifice the softail for the bmw do you think its worth it ?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Hi i have been riding for awhile now and went from a klr 659 to my current softail 1300 but been lately wondering if i should go bigger i miss the turning ability the klr had but love the speed and torque of my softail the bike i am thinking of getting is the bmw s1000rr the only sport bike i am interested but cant afford to keep both bikes so i would have to sacrifice the softail for the bmw do you think its worth it ?
Do I think it's worth it? No... But what we think isn't what matters, cuz we ain't gonna be riding it. Do YOU think it's worth it??

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Bike

I would ride a bike that is similar to the BMW. You may or may not like the riding position. Would be a lot of money spent, to find out the sport bike position is not for you. Lot of guys complain their back does not like the more forward leaning position. It works fine at speeds well above the speed limit.

I have followed the other half of the local bike gang, while he was on his 88 CI HD Softail. It scoots along and goes around the corners quite well.

I have a rolling couch and a sport bike. The couch is more comfy on the freeway, the sport bike is better on the twisties and higher speeds.

Unkle Crusty*

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Did you test ride the S1000RR? It's a race bike and not very street friendly. I would not recommend a 199 hp bike for a first sport bike. The S1000R roadster version is a better street bike. It has a more upright riding position and better low and midrange torque. It's got 160 hp so I wouldn't recommend the S1000R either as a first sport bike.

Start with something under 125 horsepower and really learn how to ride it. Then you'll be ready to safely move up in power. Try a Triumph Street Triple or a Yamaha FZ-09. Both bikes have ergonomics similar to the S1000R, meaning more upright and they're also roadster styled bikes meaning no expensive plastic bodypanels to replace if you drop it.

Initial cost and annual insurance for the Street Triple and FZ-09 will be a lot less than for the S1000RR.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I use mine as a commuter. It's a workhorse instead of a luxury item.
Mine is a commuter as well. But it isn't a necessity. I could ride the bus or take my truck.

I have seen a lot of people who hem and haw about what bike they are going to get because they don't feel like they can justify the bike they really want. I am as practical a guy as they come, but when it comes to a bike, l get it...you just want that one, even if it doesn't make sense. So my attitude is, go get that one. If you discover after you bought it that it is not the bike you really want, or thought it would be, go ahead and sell it and try again. If you did your homework when you bought it and bought a good bike for a great price, it should be easy to get your money back out of.

The exception l make for this is with new riders. New riders should absolutely NOT buy the bike they think they want, at least most of the time. New riders should buy a good learner's bike, with their dream bike being a goal for the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts