Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for 3 years now. Started at 15 and am now 18. I've been riding the ever so common ninja 250. Unfortunately I think it's time to part with it. I am very interested in getting a used bike. I have been looking around the past few days and have decided on a 600cc. Only problem is which 600 should I get? Ive tried comparing the Suzuki gsxr600, Kawasaki Ninja 600, Honda CBR600, and Yamaha R1 600. I've sat on the CBR600 and Ninja 600 and I like the feel, but are the others any better? I need help please! Speed is no issue, so comfort would be my selling point. City driving is 95 percent of my commute and gas isn't an issue so any suggestions on the best? I know there are different versions of each 600 but you don"t have to be to specific. And I would really love a bike that looks amazing stock so I could make it my own. All comments are very appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
How about cost... as in insurance cost! Any of the inline 4 supersport bikes will have a hugely increased insurance cost. Also, I would be hesitant to recommend one of them to someone so young. Yes, you may be mature and skilled enough to handle a bike in that class... but, where as I do not know you, I have to make my judgement call on the cautious side.

Have you considered the GS500?

·
10,756 Posts
At 18 insurance is going to certainly be an issue. I would call your agent and get some quotes. I know when I looked at the differnence for my son who is 17, it was huge between bikes of different sizes.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
I have no doubt in my mind you are skilled enough to handle any one of those bikes, but like Anime said- your 18. And since we do not know you for real, 18 year olds tend to be reckless on sportbikes. Insurance companies know this and Your insurance will be pretty pricey, even more so if you have points on your record. Do you think youll be able to afford those insurance costs?

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
A 10 year old 600cc supersport would be about 3x as much for me to insure than my Bandit 1200, and I've been riding for 4 years and am 26. Your insurance will be astronomical.

·
Registered
357 Posts
600s are def no gos. You want the 600 ergos without the 600 insurance get something like a Suzuki SV650, or a Kawi ER-5/ER-6N and some clipons

Just be careful, the speed is addictive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's the purpose of the bike? Commute, toy, track or just the next step of the learning curve?
What do you like about the bikes you've mentioned throwing a leg over? Is comfort, seat position, wind protection, styling important to you and in what order?
The worst is buying a bike and then not liking it or if it ends up not being what you wanted. You can ride a fast bike slow, but you can't ride a slow bike fast. If you'll be riding 2 up, that's also something to consider. At your age, price will play a part because if you can't pay the full cost up front, you'll probably be stuck with full coverage insurance which will kick your butt!

As far as the 4 sport bikes in the 600 class you've mentioned, I love them all! The difference in performance and abilities are hard for any but the professional racers to search out, so focus on styling, ergonomics and adjustability of the suspension. Market presence can play an important part too. WHEN you go down, you'll have to replace parts. A bike well liked and owned will have more plentiful and less costly replacement parts.

Good luck!

-Jonny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts