Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bike are we talking about?

When you are stumped and need help trying to figure out what is going on with your ride...
It would be very helpful if information like the brand, model, year model, mileage and anything else you can think of about the bike is provided along with the question/s asked.
You'll get better answers that way, guaranteed.
Just a suggestion... :wink2:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
And what was going on just prior to the problem.

Such as; I was trying to do a wheelie and now my clutch won't work.
I was doing burnouts and now my tire won't hold air.
I filled up my tank last month, rode almost everyday, now it won't start.
I had been drinking and was running from the police when I hit the back of a semi. I think the tow truck driver damaged my bike. It won't start now.
I was riding my Goldwing off road and ran into a pond. Now my radio quit working.

Just having fun. Details are important when trying to diagnose a problem. :)

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And what was going on just prior to the problem.

Such as; I was trying to do a wheelie and now my clutch won't work.
I was doing burnouts and now my tire won't hold air.
I filled up my tank last month, rode almost everyday, now it won't start.
I had been drinking and was running from the police when I hit the back of a semi. I think the tow truck driver damaged my bike. It won't start now.
I was riding my Goldwing off road and ran into a pond. Now my radio quit working.

Just having fun. Details are important when trying to diagnose a problem. :)
You might think you're only having fun but I've known them to believe that the bike having been submerged was not an important bit of useful information.
:surprise:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
That's funny too! :)

I know it wouldn't be funny, at the time. Working your bu** off trying to figure out what's wrong, checking item after item, possibly replacing parts, and then the customer/owner adds "Oh I ran it into a pond last week. Is that important?" Right at that moment, you're not laughing, but when you think back to last year when it happened, all you can do is shake your head and laugh about it.

And it's still an important point to know if you're trying to help someone out. :)

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Yes it's very important but so easy to overlook when you are chasing your tail so to speak.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Once upon a time, we had an RD350 in the shop, that was not running right. There is no tuner anywhere that could have analyzed the problem, without taking it apart.
They run a 360 degree crank like most old British. Which means both pistons travel together, and fire 360 degrees apart. After removing the heads, I discovered that the pistons were about 357 degrees apart. As one piston got to TDC, the other one still had a short distance to go. To fix the problem the crank would need to be removed, and rebuilt and or readjusted.

UK

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
Umn no. You all know everything and all spew your knowledge of all your bike's all the time, you tell me what's wrong. I mean you should know them all and when I hit the starter and it does nothing and that I already tried jumping it using my Semi's 4000 cold cranking amp battery bank and smoked the charging system and that I let it set with the fuel petcock on, and it drained all of it gas into the oil and that it is hydrolocked. I mean why should I check anything first before asking? Further more you should also know I do not own a single tool, work in my apartment complex parking lot against their rules so I must sneak doing it at midnight, so I need to know every possibility what could be wrong with it right now! I do not have time for one step at a time, what is wrong with you people!

Reactions: SemiFast

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
Ok ok no one saw the humor in it, I apologize... It was meant to be satire...to bring out that we have no way of knowing what you have done stupid or spot on or the circumstance that drives your need. Beg my pard...

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
Ok ok no one saw the humor in it, I apologize... It was meant to be satire...to bring out that we have no way of knowing what you have done stupid or spot on or the circumstance that drives your need. Beg my pard...
You should have given a few of us a little more time. I saw the satire immediately and thought it was spot on. But I didn't see your post till a bit later, as I'm sure others have not. It's all good, satire makes ya think just a little more than usual.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
I just now saw it, and picked up on the satire immediately. Patience grasshopper

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait, I saw the humor in it ... it was, and is funny. Not only that but there is even a grain of real world truth in that joke like.......

A guy comes in the shop where I worked, at that time, and asked me what is wrong with his bike. I asked him in what way was it acting up.
Pointing at a bike I had pushed out that morning so I could start work he said that is his bike right there.
When I told him I did not draw that job and I had only moved his bike he explained that if I was a good mechanic I should know what was wrong with it. (By just touching it)? :confused: Lol
I resisted the temptation laugh at the guy that seemed to think a "good mechanic" could just lay hands on a bike and immediately know what is wrong with it.
Just one true story out of several. Kind of disgusting but funny none the less....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
I used to work with a navy chief engineman. He could tell you what was wrong with a diesel engine just by the sounds it made under a load.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Oh heck, I thought you were on a new kind of rant so no big deal. I never even considered it was an attempt at stand up comedy. Guess that means you better keep your day job.:rolleyes::surprise::devil:

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I stopped in at the "Motorcycle Repair" section of the forum earlier today thinking I might be able to learn something or maybe help with a mechanical problem only to come away with this same old question....

.... What bike are we talking about here anyway?

:plain:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts