Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I am looking at getting my first bike in a few months so...it needs to "fit" these specs (any ideas suggestions for my first bike?) : 6' 3" 250lbs, i dont like cruisers or choppers, i would like a sport bike but i want something comfortable for longer trips, so i am thinking a dual sport like the KLR 650. I need something that will get ME up to speed in...shorter than a 250cc will take 250lbs to 60mph. so what engine size do you think i need? I know all the experienced folks say "you shouldnt get a fast bike as a first bike!" so i will try to follow that. anyway...summing it up: carry 250 lbs to 60 mph in under 8 seconds but not a 1200cc sport bike, not a chopper/cruiser, Dual sport/sport but not enduro, comfortable for long trips.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Honda CB500F
Suzuki VStrom 650
Yamaha SR400 (a little pricey IMO, though)
Yamaha R3

The KLR650 could be a good choice if you are wanting to do off-road? Definitely not the best choice for street riding. You can ride it on the street, but having ridden lots of "dual sport" bikes, I much prefer to take them off-road. Actually, I'd rather have a straight trail bike for that, but I digress. I am not a huge fan of dual sport, because most seem to do neither street nor dirt all that well.... YMMV. And I doubt seriously you'd want to take long trips on a KLR...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Thanks for that. I think out of those that you gave me, the Vstrom 650 is my favorite. it has the perfect amount of sporty-lookingness and off roadishness to it lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
There's a guy who lives about 30 miles north of me who rode his Vstrom 650 from here in North Carolina up to Maine and back this past August. So I know they can do road trips!

Thanks for that. I think out of those that you gave me, the Vstrom 650 is my favorite. it has the perfect amount of sporty-lookingness and off roadishness to it lol

·
Ace Tuner
2,946 Posts
I agree with rje58 about a dual sport.
If you're going to ride in an area where you will be running on pavement and off road all in the same day that would be my only use for a dual sport.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I own an old 500cc V-twin "standard" that meets your requirements on acceleration. Mine is a Honda model CX-500-C but lots of bikes out there can meet your needs without costing an arm and a leg and not putting you in great danger by having too much power for a new rider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts