Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing advice on buying a Battery Tender for my 2000 vZ800 Suzuki Marauder
I am in need of one quick (weather is dipping into the 20degree range this week)
I have very limited funds so something in the lower price range but effective.
The bike is in a garage attached to our home but not heated and she tends to be cold natured to start off.

any suggestions/ advice on what type would be best for me in these conditions would be appreciated

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
If you trust your bike and garage to inferior Chinese battery chargers, by all means get the Harbor Fright model. It's cheap enough. I personally recommend the Battery Tender Jr. Compare reviews and decide for yourself.

Battery Tender: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S[/ame]

Cen-Tech: http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I found out something abour "cold natured " bikes. It seems to me that some of them do not allow sitting for very long at all until the gasoline in the carbs goes stale. My two problem bikes are a 450 nighthawk and the CB750 and the carbs are very similar. Drain the carb bowls completely dry and then run fresh gas in from the tank. I also put fresh gas in the tank and added Berryman's which is similar to Seafoam.

The 750 starts at 32 degrees better than it did in the summertime. Barely touch the button and Vroom. Just unreal,as it took me two years to discover this
I have also made a tent of sorts by draping a tarp over the bike and adding a little electric heater sitting on a steel chair directed at the carbs. Make sure that there is some air movement and openings in the tarp so as not to get gasoline fume build up and blow up the garage!

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
I've heard bad things about inexpensive tenders as well, overcharging, leaking battery acid all over, etc.
I also recommend the Battery Tender Jr.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. i was worried about these very issues. I appreciate all the input
and the suggestions about the cold nature issue. I will try this.
this is the second day i havent been able to crank her
and i am going to get one this afternoon.
Our forecast for the next few days have lows in the 20 degree range.
what really sucks is i havent met anyone here (Maryland) yet so I cant call my buddys to come jump it and help me get her warmed and charged up :) so i appreciate the advice
Juju

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so having said that.
If my battery is weak from the cold?. will the float charger help any?
I used one last winter but only for 3 or 4 days at a time. not constantly.
Can you leave it connected for long term?
It is a fairly new battery so it should last all winter. but If I wear it down trying to start it I'll end up probably having to buy a new battery.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Do NOT use a float charger, use a tender, which is a very different animal. Float, or trickle, chargers run a minimum amount of current through a battery, which is usually too much to maintain a small motorcycle battery. A tender will stop the current altogether when it sees the battery will not benefit from any more charge, and start it again as the battery self-discharges.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
k, thanks. that was what was confusing me on the different products.
I bought a tender this evening.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Ride it tomorrow, and then again on Thursday. The temps will be in the 40s both days, then improve again next week.

·
Premium Member
6,545 Posts
Charger.

Mine is a Guest 3 stage automatic 1.25 amps. Cost $14.95 at the boat show.
I connect the battery for the Suzuki about this time of the year, and put it back in the bike in the spring.
Now and then I might charge the big Yamaha battery, depending how often I run it.
A charged battery should be at 12.75 volts. Half charged is 12.25 volts, and should be charged at that level. So I wander around and check all the ones that have been sitting. Truck, tractor, boat.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Juju, when it comes time to park the bike for a long length of time, you could also pull the battery out and keep inside, someplace out of the way and warm with the tender on it....

my shed is unheated but we usually get a few days a month I can ride, if I see a long stretch though, I'll pull the battery and bring it in the house

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Or get the $30 dollar Battery Tender Junior and it will last as long as you do.
At the risk of sounding like an "Echo".....I agree with Eye
I have a Battery tender brand, its still going after quite a few years.
Oh yea Eye sent ya an email asking a question sir.:biggrin:
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
WintrSol, I have a maintenance free gel battery I think. YTx12-BS. but it seems i remember my ex looking into it at one point to see if it needed maintenancing.. he said it was fine at the time (6 months ago or so)
did you mean the water in the battery?

Goliath616 I need to ride as often as i can, even during the winter. Because at present it is my only transportation other than getting a ride from my son in law. :(
So taking the battery out would have to wait till snow hits the ground at least.
Thankfully I work at home so commuting is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
If you do have an AGM battery, there would be no water to check. I have them in both my bikes, and find a tender really isn't needed over winter. That's not to say I don't hook them up from time to time, but the tenders always go green within a minute, even after a couple months. If yours is losing charge, you either have a current leak in the wiring, or the battery is failing, as AGM batteries have very low self-discharge.

·
Premium Member
6,545 Posts
Alone

thanks guys.
what really sucks is i havent met anyone here (Maryland) yet so I cant call my buddys to come jump it and help me get her warmed and charged up :) so i appreciate the advice
Juju
I hear you. I left the farm 200 miles inland, and moved to an island. I have to plan ahead for trips to the city for supplies. Did not know anyone when I got here.
This is a big stretch from the days I was on the mainland, and in the bike business, and racing. Knew almost everyone from Vancouver BC to Portland OR. As long as they had something to do with bikes.I just recently got the cable connected, so now I can be a bigger nuisance to all.

Think it was Brenda Lee that sang "All alone am I "
Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts