Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,440 Posts
What we think doesn't matter, it is what you think that counts. I did notice that there was no mention of mileage, or pictures of the left side

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looks live a very nice bike and a nice price.

As mentioned, it doesn't list mileage. Looks like it has been taken care of, unless it was recently fixed and everything was replaced?

If there are any doubts, i'd pay to have the bike inspected by a motorcycle mechanic before purchase just to cover all basis.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've always liked the Katanas. I know that they are very forgiving. I believe Kawasaki discontinued this model years ago. It looks good though. It's a 2002 so I'm betting it does have high mileage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is high mileage bad? What does high mileage mean for a bike? I texted the number given to set up a time to look at it. So what if the left side is scratched or dented?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Age doesn't necessarily reflect mileage. There's a lot of bikes that just don't get ridden much. Of course, sitting around too much can have it own problems.

Ad does say good tires, but I'd find out how old they are. IF you have to buy new tires right off, the deal is not as sweet.

·
American Legion Rider
18,498 Posts
Is high mileage bad? What does high mileage mean for a bike? I texted the number given to set up a time to look at it. So what if the left side is scratched or dented?
It's personal preference but I'd rather have one that has mileage than one that has sat and not ridden. They need to be used to keep working properly.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You see a lot of bikes in this age range with 15k-25k miles on them. Somewhere in that range would be considered average. Bonus if it has less than 15k. But if the miles are too low you can run into problems, especially if the bike is carbeurated and not fuel injected. My friend has a 1998 with a carb on it; not sure if or when they switched over. If the bike only has 7k miles, for instance, it could have sat with gas in it for long periods of time.

I would also be leery of left side damage, since they took several pictures but neglected to take any of that side. It wouldn't necessarily make it unrideable, but the bike would obviously have much less value if it had been crashed, right?

I would also question if it has a clean title or a rebuilt title. Me personally, l never buy anything with a rebuilt/salvage title, no matter how good the deal. They are hard to sell. Many people neglect to share this information and then try to act like they "thought they told you" or "didn't know that" when you discover it at the time to change the title over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the person selling it did not get back to me on it. I have a buddy who is trying to sell a 2012 ninja 650 for a decent price i am going to look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Looks very clean and the price is right. I am leery of ads on CL and have found far too many scammers there. The Katana is a great bike but the blow fish look body work is just not to my liking. Best to see the bike in person.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Suzuki

I've always liked the Katanas. I know that they are very forgiving. I believe Kawasaki discontinued this model years ago. It looks good though. It's a 2002 so I'm betting it does have high mileage.
Why would Kawasaki put a Suzuki label on the tank? Or maybe it is a Suzuki and not a Kawasaki, and maybe Kawasaki discontinued some other model years ago. Maybe the Pope really is a Catholic.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts