Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a sub divsion of Cincinnati, Ohio (Anderson township) and i want to bring my 1975 Suzuki TS185 enduro to ride around my streets. its a 2 stroke screamer so would get some attention but would i get in serious trouble for riding it around the streets (without licensing and street legal lights) even if i maintain the speed limit and stop at all stop signs? could i get my license held off? (im only 16)

·
Banned
770 Posts
If your lucky a cop will just tell you to go home and not ride it on the street anymore.

Worst case scenario, they right you a hefty ticket and depending on the local laws might be able to impound the bike for a day or 2 if they really want to be dicks.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
This totally depends on your locale and the particular cop that catches you.

I started riding at 8 years old and even though I have plenty of property to ride on, it didn't take me long before I started venturing beyond it. Probably by the time I was 13 I was regularly riding all around town, mostly on farm roads but frequently on back roads. When I was 16 I had a DR350 that was once street legal but not anymore by the time I got it. I didn't have a license either (not till I was 18). But I still took that on the road, rode it to school sometimes, the store, the beach...

I was lucky to get away with all the things I did, and it's largely because all the local cops grew up out here doing the same things 20-30 years ago so they had mercy on me.

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
At least, put the street legal lights on it and wear ATGATT.
More likely than not, they WILL take the bike AND deter you from getting ANY kind of license for a year or more.. :frown:

Eric

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
At worst you will get towed, thrown in jail and ticketed for the following: no license, no insurance, no headlight, no tail light, no turn signals, no registration, no inspection, no street legal tires, no horn, No license plate, and probably an emissions ticket. But you never know the cop might be nice about everything.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If you want to have a license in the near future stay off the streets with an illegal bike. The TS was originally street legal, so if you have a title you could get lighting back on it and have a really fun vintage type dual sport. Go on the net and look up the TS185. A friend had one and it was a great ride.

Just be sure to either get the baffle in the stock pipe or put a silencer on it. Otherwise the cops may be the least of your worries, the neighbors may be.

·
Banned
770 Posts
This makes me think.... I've thought about getting a cheap "stunt bike" sometime maybe next year (you can get used ZX6R's and crap with missing fairings and bars welded to them for under a grand sometime). And im planning on not even insuring it because it wont be street legal (no headlight most times)..... I should probably buy a truck first LOL.

Or maybee just get an old enough one that I can put cheap ass liability on.

·
Blood Type: 10W 30
389 Posts
I might have an extra tach if that will help.

Ebay is your friend man. I got all my blinkers/lights for under a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
This makes me think.... I've thought about getting a cheap "stunt bike" sometime maybe next year (you can get used ZX6R's and crap with missing fairings and bars welded to them for under a grand sometime). And im planning on not even insuring it because it wont be street legal (no headlight most times)..... I should probably buy a truck first LOL.

Or maybee just get an old enough one that I can put cheap ass liability on.
Does it make much sense to have liability insurance on a bike that won't be street legal? (unless you're just planning on riding the non-street-legal bike on the road regardless... in that case, yes, you want liability insurance).

I figure if you're going to be stunting in a controlled, lawful manner, you aren't going to be putting any other people at risk.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
OP, I don't think you should take that thing on the streets. Anderson is a little more sparsely populated than other parts of Cincy, but you're not out in the country yet.

Yesterday I got to a 4 way stop, and as I started to go a 16yo coming up to my left on a PUCH was trying to stop. His legs came flailing out, front wheel was wobbling all over.. He was wearing a wife beater, shorts and flip flops.. Granted that thing can't get much speed going but eating pavement even at 15-20mph wearing that get-up will leave a nice mark.

The kid shouldn't have been out there. Even though that machine has pedals it still has a 49cc engine and in Ohio you need a license for that.

Do you even know how to ride a motorcycle? Beyond the law coming down on you, you could get hurt. Food for thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP, I don't think you should take that thing on the streets. Anderson is a little more sparsely populated than other parts of Cincy, but you're not out in the country yet.

Yesterday I got to a 4 way stop, and as I started to go a 16yo coming up to my left on a PUCH was trying to stop. His legs came flailing out, front wheel was wobbling all over.. He was wearing a wife beater, shorts and flip flops.. Granted that thing can't get much speed going but eating pavement even at 15-20mph wearing that get-up will leave a nice mark.

The kid shouldn't have been out there. Even though that machine has pedals it still has a 49cc engine and in Ohio you need a license for that.

Do you even know how to ride a motorcycle? Beyond the law coming down on you, you could get hurt. Food for thought.
Yeah i have beer riding motorcycles for about 6 years now. before the TS185 i rode CT70. and i think your right it wouldnt be worth it to get my license upheld for a year. Im selling some of my guns and im going to buy the street legal parts. ive already got a tach but i need a speedo, battery, headlight, taillight, turn signals, and a new inner tube for the rear tire.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might have an extra tach if that will help.

Ebay is your friend man. I got all my blinkers/lights for under a hundred bucks.
i really appreciate the offer but the only part my bike has to be "legal" in is fact the tach. Yeah i know i love good ole ebay i spend over 200 bucks buying a headlight, tail light bracket, transmission, battery, and handlebars for my CT70. The only problem is i dont have a job and these parts are very expensive because of the rarity. i still need the speedo, headlight, tail light, battery, turn signals, an air filter, and possibly a new carb. thats why im selling my guns :)

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Yeah i have beer riding motorcycles for about 6 years now. before the TS185 i rode CT70. and i think your right it wouldnt be worth it to get my license upheld for a year. Im selling some of my guns and im going to buy the street legal parts. ive already got a tach but i need a speedo, battery, headlight, taillight, turn signals, and a new inner tube for the rear tire.
You dont' have to have a working tach, or speedo to be street legal, at least not here.

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
You dont' have to have a working tach, or speedo to be street legal, at least not here.
Most States just require a Headlight, turn-signals and one mirror.
It is not uncommon to have your pure MX/dirt bike converted by a local dealership here.
Just to AVOID getting fined if you happen to ride/cross a street.
Cost is usually about $100-200 including a title for registration.

Eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
It doesn't seem like a good idea, legal or not. You would deffenatly want the visibility that comes with street lights on your bike. Im sure you would get into quite a bit of trouble, your better off waiting a little while. Its safer!

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's cool.
Ride like a squid.
Wheelies, speed limit + 50.
et cetera.

Hopefully you'll be off the streets for a long time while you recuperate.

·
Banned
770 Posts
I didnt mean to thread jack.... I meant either getting a newer bike cheap that been stripped and converted with no insurance at all, or finding an older sport bike thats street legal and converting it while keeping it legal with cheap liability on it.... I wouldnt put liability on a bike I couldnt ride on the street.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
You don't need a tachometer to be street legal. Many models of bikes don't even have them at all. (Cruisers mostly)

Some localities require a speedometer though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not an attorney or a cop, so I'm just giving my opinion when I say that RexMitchell's response seems just about right on the money... It probably does depend to some degree on the attitiude of the officer who pulls you over, but that said-- do the potential long-term negative repercussions for getting caught outweigh the fleeting fun of those rides?

In my state, you can be driving a completely legal car or motorcycle, with-- of course, all the lights, state inspection stickers, etc... But if that car has a lapsed registration, they'll fine you big time for that infraction alone.

If you got stopped on the bike you're describing, you'd be lacking EVERY SINGLE THING that cop would want to see... No plates, no registration, no inspection, etc., etc...

A cop pulling you over may be inclined to give you a break, but we live in a highly litigious society-- and the officer knows if he cuts you loose and by some chance you get in an accident and someone gets hurt, he could very well end up in trouble himself for failure to stop a crime that he knew was in progress... By letting you go, in effect, he'd be endorsing your right to cruise the streets with an unlicensed, unregistered vehicle.

If you were a 10 year old on a mini-bike cruising some dead-end back street, you'd probably get a verbal warning and your parents would get an earful... but I'm thinking a cop might be tougher on a teen.

I don't think I'd take the chance.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I live in a sub divsion of Cincinnati, Ohio (Anderson township) and i want to bring my 1975 Suzuki TS185 enduro to ride around my streets. its a 2 stroke screamer so would get some attention but would i get in serious trouble for riding it around the streets (without licensing and street legal lights) even if i maintain the speed limit and stop at all stop signs? could i get my license held off? (im only 16)
Saw this happen in a courtroom [I was in for speeding] YOU not having a motorcycle learner's permit can be as much as 1000 bucks --judge read this to him,and the guy about crapped his drawers.... This is a new law in Ohio.
Your bike with no license and insurance is probably around 200. I don't think you can even get street insurance on a bike that is not titled for the street. The fact that you will have to get a special class of insurance for two years or so,after being caught without it,and you will pay thru the nose in higher premiums, is a big cost to you as well.
Ohio is really cash hungry right now due to the recession. Your choice your consequence

1 - 20 of 28 Posts