Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

First, I drove until 2018 (the year, I purchased a full license) only 50 ccm - "bikes". Normally Kymco, which I make very good experiences (Nexxon 50 = 61.000 kms / 38.000 miles until engine breakdown). For living, I ride with a piaggio, which has 53.000 kms on it (33.000 miles). No problems, accept the piaggio, which receives a new cylinder head at ~ 40.000 kms (exhaust valve seat was flat).

Then I was thinkin`: "If I´m supposed to ride always those bucket slow scooters, let´s get a Honda at least". There "she" was: A 2016 Vision 50i. Fuel injection, smooth, silent engine, soft suspension, very great headlight.

The first problems starts early: Badly starter, which always gets out and in of the pinion a little bit too slow, which creates very unhealthy sounds (screeching and crashing noises). I read in german forums, they said: This is stock, that means: "Normal". I was a bit upset...

...until it turns to anger. Reason: The engine, normally a very quiet one, starts making very loud noises (made a YT video) at only 6.000 kms (about 4.000 miles). I checked the valves = Correct adjusted. Checked oil level = O.K. The engine burns also a little bit more oil than usual. As the bike´s speedometer break down at 11.000 km, I get rid of this china - made bucket heap of plastic.

Another example: My brothers VFR 800. Very early malfunction of some device on the alternator, about 20.000 kms.

Question: Is this normal? What´s your experiences with newer Honda bikes?

About the Honda cars, I once read, that those recall quote are as badly as those of "general motors", which are really bad. They said, Honda cars are "defect leader".

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Welcome to a great Forum.

More about yourself and where you live would be appreciated.

Yes, the legendary Honda quality is still there but all MFG's have quality control problems.

Honda has always used other MFG's in other countries to supply some engines, parts and entire bikes for a long time. It is globalization and is a fact of life for Honda and others to stay competitive on the world market.

You are buying a product that is the cheapest there is so maybe that is the problem? All or most of the 'Universal 50cc engines,' are made in CHINA from discarded tin sardine cans:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to a great Forum.

More about yourself and where you live would be appreciated.

Yes, the legendary Honda quality is still there but all MFG's have quality control problems.

Honda has always used other MFG's in other countries to supply some engines, parts and entire bikes for a long time. It is globalization and is a fact of life for Honda and others to stay competitive on the world market.

You are buying a product that is the cheapest there is so maybe that is the problem? All or most of the 'Universal 50cc engines,' are made in CHINA from discarded tin sardine cans:)

Of course. .

Iam 37 years old, and I live in bavaria (germany).

Whats a MFG?

My Honda Vision 50i was one of the most expensive 50 scooters, by the way. For example: My 61.000 km lasting Kymco costs almost exactly just the half of the price. ;)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
I love Scooters and have had MANY of them and I still have a Suzuki Burgman 650, my 3rd. Yamaha T-Max 500, Aprilia Atlantic 500, Honda 250, Yamaha Zuma 50cc-2 stroke and two Zuma 125's and every time I see a Vespa 300, I get erotically excited:)

None of my scooters ever had a problem at all:)

I take care of them myself and having had 87 Motorcycles/ scooters, I have to say that Maxi-scooters put a smile on my face from ear to ear, even as much as my recently past Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster.

Knowing your age and Country makes a big difference in helping and answering your questions: A 37 year old person riding a nice scooter to work or into the countryside, sorta/ kinda tells me that you aren't beating the Lil scooter to death like a 16 year old, inexperience person may do:)

MFG's is short for Manufacturers--Honda-Puch-NSU-Zundapp-Kreidler-BMW etc.

There are Sooooo many lil, Cheap 50cc scooters being sold in the United States currently and they are being marketed in most cases by dealers/ individuals that know nothing about the product nor how to diagnose and fix them.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
WELCOME ON ABOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
50 ccm in the United States? Interesting! I was there 2018 (NYC), and I didn´t see just one, noticed only a single Vespa with surprisingly big engine, compared to those, who are sold here in germany - in the whole town!

So, you´re thinking, the engine of the Vision 50i isn´t a Honda construction? When I visit "Honda USA.com", I see a 4 valve water cooled engine with only 50 ccm, very impressing! Mine was just a air cooled 2 - valve - engine. By the way, Honda deleted this 50 ccm scooter now, it starts at 110 ccm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts