Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship:grin:

In 1966, right before 'Uncle Sam' called me to duty, I attended the NHRA 1/4 mile drags @ Lions drag strip in Long Beach, California and saw the 'Hawaiian' set a new world record @ 7.51 seconds at 251 MPH:surprise:

Things have sure changed for bikes and 4 wheel conveyances :wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Lions Drag Strip? One of the best and perhaps most famous strips.....ever! I first started going there in the late 50's, up until the time I went into the Army. Loved that place! Beautiful cars and bikes, but I never saw anything like that. That's a piece of art.

·
Nightfly
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right before I was drafted in 1964, I drove across country in my 1960 Triumph TR3 and was able to attend one of the races at the famed drag strip. But like all too many drag strips... people moved into the surrounding area, knowing that it was a race track, and demanded the government shut it down because of all the noise complaints. A much smaller local 1/8 mile strip has been fighting that for years and are still, somehow, holding on.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
@Tobacco Road - our favorite dragstrip of the 60's & 70's was Connecticut Dragway. Sadly, it is long gone. Here's a link of historical drag strip listings by state.

As a kid, I lived 12 miles from Seekonk Speedway, a 1/3 mile oval track that ran stock cars. We never had air conditioning, so on a summer night laying in bed with the windows open I could hear the stock cars. It thought it was great, but I was 12 miles away!

·
Registered
781 Posts
@Tobacco Road - our favorite dragstrip of the 60's & 70's was Connecticut Dragway. Sadly, it is long gone. Here's a link of historical drag strip listings by state.

As a kid, I lived 12 miles from Seekonk Speedway, a 1/3 mile oval track that ran stock cars. We never had air conditioning, so on a summer night laying in bed with the windows open I could hear the stock cars. It thought it was great, but I was 12 miles away!
Thanks Oz, for the link. It's a shame so many of these old strips are gone, but looking thru the California section brought back so many good memories. Although I only drag raced in Long Island NY, while I was in the Army, I did race my FKE Cart at Riverside, Ontario, and a couple of others around SOCAL. And not to steal the thread, we must not forget Ascot park for MC racing. :smile:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
I went to all of those race tracks in Southern CA and raced 1/4 mile motorcycles and cars, my last one being a 1968 Ford King Cobra, Mustang GT500 at Orange county raceway in about 1971 or so. Motorcycles were raced at Lions in Long Beach. Ontario and Riverside raceways were all closed down due to Urban sprawl:surprise:

We have a 1/4 mile track nearby that is seasonal, way out in the country but I still hear about people complaining about the noise from 10 miles away:sad:

The NHRA and other racing bodies just barely defeated a bill that would have forced even track and drag strip vehicles to meet street decibel sound levels and also to outlaw ANY performance and noise enhancing equipment from being sold.:sad:

Sam:nerd:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
I raced at Aquasco in southern MD in the 60's. I live a mile or so (as the crow flies) from Capital Raceway. There are home in my neighborhood that are a 1/4 mile from the track. I have raced there as well about 10 years ago. I can sit out on my back porch on a Friday or Saturday night and tell you if it is a big block or an import going down the track, v-twin or crouch rocket pick them out as well. People that have lived here for a while don't mind, but new comers complain. We tend to remind them it was here long before they moved in.

Reactions: ketchboy and Porky

·
Nightfly
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey John; You may remember 78-80 Drag strip and Mason Dixon as well. I forget their exact location but I'm sure they were not too far from you. I attended both many times during the day. My drag strip of choice, and the one closest to me, was York US 30 In Thomasville Pa. Just West of York, PA. That closed many years ago but was a great strip during the hay days of the 60's and early 70's.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
The dragstrip I went to and actually competed was the Kansas City Timing Association Drag Strip, now no longer exists. Went to the Kansas City International strip once too but didn't compete there and I moved from the area shortly after in 69. It was new back then. I don't think it's operational now either but not sure.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Hey John; You may remember 78-80 Drag strip and Mason Dixon as well. I forget their exact location but I'm sure they were not too far from you. I attended both many times during the day. My drag strip of choice, and the one closest to me, was York US 30 In Thomasville Pa. Just West of York, PA. That closed many years ago but was a great strip during the hay days of the 60's and early 70's.

Never been to either. 78-80 closed to the public several years ago. It is still there and is used by the show Motorweek on PBS. I believe Mason-Dixon is still open.

I was living in No. VA in the 60's so I used to go to the 1/8th mile in Manassas as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.