Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather was beautiful here in central KY yesterday. It was sunny, 65 degrees and not much wind. I got out and rode a lot.

Question, What kind of coat do you wear in the spring while riding?
J

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,937 Posts
I have a Tourmaster textile jacket that I wear in Spring and Fall, and keep the liner zipped in until the temps reach about 70 degrees. From about 70 to 80 I wear the jacket without the liner and with the vents unzipped. But once it gets over about 80 degrees I switch to a mesh jacket to optimize airflow or just wear a t-shirt and take my chances. I have a few lightweight nylon long sleeve t-shirts that I wear in really hot weather, say over 90 degrees. My skin stays covered from the sun but the air goes right through to keep me relatively cool. Of course that means no protection in case I go down, but I accept that as part of the balance between fun and safety. When I see the rider on a sportbike in full racing leathers in 95 degree weather, with a full face helmet and visor down, armored gloves and heavy riding boots, I always think "to each their own, but I would rather not ride than be that miserably hot".

Reactions: Jayrider

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Tourmaster textile jacket for the really chilly days.

My leather Victory jacket with a hoodie underneath most of the time.

Of course our spring riding starts when the roads clear off and it's at least 45* (We are just waiting for a good rain to rinse the sand/salt off the roads)

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Winter is the oiled cotton jacket, big enough for extra gear. Does not leak.
Spring, the Alpine Stars textile jacket, still with the warm liner, but that will come out soon. Next will be the leather jacket, and sometimes the old Barbour oiled cotton jacket. Often depends which bike I am riding, and where I am going, and how far.

UK

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If the temps are still cool enough like its been this week, then I wear my Tourmaster Asphalt jacket. When it gets warmer, I wear a mesh jacket.

Reactions: Jayrider

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
I suppose answers are different depending not only on what "spring" is in your climate, but also depending on what scoot you ride.

The choices will need to be quite different for a person on a stripped down café racer out in the wind, as opposed to a rider on tourer with a fairing, heated grips and seat, etc.

·
Visionary
5,255 Posts
Variable temps this time of year make it tough but I found a good solution...
I've been wearing a really light textile and mesh jacket, too light for the cold weather, in the AM when I ride into work. It's often 30 degrees or lower at 4am but with my electric liner under that jacket it's warm enough. Riding home it's 30 degrees warmer, the thin electric liner either goes in the saddle bag or stays on me but not turned on, and I'm comfortable in 60-70 degree weather.
This works on a fully faired bike, if your out in the wind I don't think this will work in temps that low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts