Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t care if a dual purpose or road bike. I don’t want a Ninja but other than that, I’m pretty open. I have had to rule out used because I have nobody knowledgable to help me buy a used motorcycle. I know there are sealer fees involved but what’s the cheapest bike that isn’t a Chinese piece of junk?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
That's a very difficult question as there are so many parameters. My son bought a new in the crate 2014 Suzuki S40 in 2017 for around $4,500 OTD. Believe it or not, dealerships have brand new bikes that are years old and you can make unbelievable deals on them. Set up a search on Cycle Trader for new bikes that are up to 5 years old and see what come up. For example: 2014 Honda CB1100EX. I know those didn't sell well and there are a few out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Aside from Vistavette's suggestion (which is excellent, there are lots of new bikes that are old unsold stock), there are a few others out there:

-- Kymco K-Pipe: +/- $2,000

Kymco is a pretty reliable brand and being a 125cc, the K-Pipe will also be forgiving to a beginner. Depending on where you live, Kymcos will also have near Honda resale value so you'll make back most of the money you spend.

-- Kymco Spade: $3,000

If a 125 is too slow, you could get a Kymco Spade which is a 150cc and is good for about 60mph. It also looks like a killer cool cafe racer.

Kymco used to (if not still does) build Honda engines. I know a guy who loves Kymcos because they're so close to Honda quality but much cheaper than a Honda.

-- Sym Wolf: $3,000

Sym is licensed to build small Hondas in developing countries. They are basically Honda, but slightly cheaper and lower displacement. The Wolf 150 is another cafe racer lookalike that'll get you to 60mph.

-- Kawasaki Z125 Pro: $3,000

If you absolutely have to go Japanese, this is your cheapest Japanese bike. It costs a stack more than the Kymco K-Pipe, but also will be of higher quality. Unfortunately like the Kymco K-Pipe, you'll be looking at a low top speed.

Anything faster and not from China will automatically be $4k and up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check out a new leftover Suzuki GW250. I've seen a few on Cycletrader.com from $2,790-3,999. They quit making them after 2017 but there's some still sitting in show rooms. Also the Suzuki TU250X. A bit more expensive but I saw a new 2016 for $3,299.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen a few good deals on leftovers. I’ll check out the Kymocs too.
Do you possibly have a link to that tu250? i did see the gw250. There’s one in a nearby state. My hesitation with that bike was the weight. I can’t flat foot it at my height and it’s over 400lbs. I sat on a CB300R and the weight of the bike felt good but I want to be a little more upright. I was also thinking about dual sport, although the new ones tend to be around $5k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts