Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The West Virginia legislature has introduced a bill in the House to ban aftermarket pipes, and require the OEM mufflers not be excessively loud.

The lead sponsor of the bill is Rep. Gary G. Howell. His page and contact info is linked here. His email is [email protected], and his office phone is (304) 340-3192. Send him an email to let him know we don’t support this type of action.

I’ve copied the actual contents of the proposed bill. Please read, comment and take appropriate action if you reside in WV.

WEST VIRGINIA LEGISLATURE

2016 REGULAR SESSION

Introduced

House Bill 2150

2015 Carryover

(By Delegates Howell, Hamrick, J. Nelson, Statler, Walters, Arvon, Blair, Kessinger and Kurcaba)

[Introduced January 13, 2016; referred to the

Committee on Roads and Transportation then the Judiciary.]

A BILL to amend and reenact §17C‑15‑34 of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, relating to motor vehicle equipment; prohibiting the modification of mufflers resulting in excessive noise levels; and providing an exception.

Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia:

That §17C‑15‑34 of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, be amended and reenacted to read as follows:

ARTICLE 15. EQUIPMENT.

§17C‑15‑34. Mufflers; prevention of noise, fumes and smoke; violations.

(a) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Such The muffler shall be the muffler originally installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or, if a replacement, the equivalent thereof. No A person shall may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(b) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(c) A person may not modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner so that the exhaust system emits in excess of ninety‑five decibels as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Standard J1169 (May 1998). It is not a violation of this section, unless proven by proper authorities, that the exhaust system modification results in noise amplification in excess of ninety‑five decibels under the prescribed SAE test standard.

(d) A court may dismiss any action for which a person is prosecuted for operating a vehicle in violation of subsection (c) of this section if it is found that the defendant had reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this section.

NOTE: The purpose of this bill is to prohibit the modification of mufflers resulting in excessive noise levels. The bill also provides an exception.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Best of luck with that. I'm in Missouri, and our politicians basically couldn't care less about such trivial things. Localities may vary on the subject, though.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
ANY representative that has time for such menial things like micro managing the motorcycle industry sure isn't doing the job they should be doing of controlling big government. They are part of the problem and best to vote them back out to remind them who's boss.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Here in Maryland we do have a law that is I believe around 76 decibels but I hear what has to be much louder on the road and I ride with one of my bikes having what is advertised as a 102 decibel "racing" exhaust without being stopped. I guess it depends on how obnoxious you are with it.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
In most areas, it's simply not enforced much. Of course, they have a permanent valid reason to pull you over at any time or even write a ticket if they feel like it.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Make light if you want but our touristy town (and all the surrounding communities that I'm aware of) have been waiting for years to start enforcing the sound ordinances, but have been waiting for the momentum to start state wide. No one wants to be the first and be called {gasp} anti motorcycle. We even have the motorcycle noise signs (combined with truck engine braking to soften the blow) made up already. So we can put them up at every entrance to the city at a moments notice. Never say never. Remember smoking in public places?

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Loud

86 or there about, is often the level. 95 is likely reasonable. However the fuzz will probably not get equipped with a decibel meter. Hence the lack of enforcement.

Unkle Krusty*

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
We've been through this before, no matter how much they spend, they can't duplicate the above on the road. They'll be limited to checking for the stamp, and there will always be someone who will modify their stock cans.
Unless they impound, there are also smart arses
<<<<<<<<<<< who own a second set of cans, just in case they get sent to get the DB tested at a private source.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
And my wife thought I was crazy for keeping the stock mufflers.:D

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Forget terrorism and the thug life, lets go after motorcycles that make a little noise.

Never be enforced, they couldn't handle the backlash.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
We blame the politician instead of the real problem. Overall society hates loud exhaust systems. If you took a vote from general society it would go against bikers. Some riders take it to extremes. A louder than stock exhaust isn't a problem. An exhaust much louder than stock becomes a problem. I'm not one to do the complaining, but I still personally don't get the reason for a super loud exhaust. What exactly is the point of it? A moderate exhaust sounds great and powerful, can add a lot of power, and usually doesn't trigger pushback from non bikers.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
We blame the politician instead of the real problem. Overall society hates loud exhaust systems. If you took a vote from general society it would go against bikers. Some riders take it to extremes. A louder than stock exhaust isn't a problem. An exhaust much louder than stock becomes a problem. I'm not one to do the complaining, but I still personally don't get the reason for a super loud exhaust. What exactly is the point of it? A moderate exhaust sounds great and powerful, can add a lot of power, and usually doesn't trigger pushback from non bikers.
I'm with you. Both, my truck and Mustang have less than stock exhaust on them. The truck's tailpipe rusted off, and I decided to have it replaced with duallies with reduced muffler. Liked it so much, I went ahead and had them do the same to the Mustang.

However, the people that get glass-packs? That's just pointless, and obnoxious.

I actually had a guy that worked with me for a while, that had a glass-pack on his truck, and he brought it in, and revved it a few times, and looked at me with a smile from ear to ear, "Yeah! How about that, huh?"

He seemed...less than satisfied...when I just shrugged my shoulders, "My truck would sound a lot like that, too, if I took the muffler off. What's your point?"

I just don't get it, myself.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Been Riding all over this country for years and never had a problem with aftermarket pipes as long as don't act like an idiot over revving in Urban locations .. Guys they get for doing that don't have a lot of sympathy for ..

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
That's the trick, Joe. In general, 90% of rules and laws are made because of 10% of the people. It is minority of riders that are obnoxious with their bikes. But those are the ones that ruin it for everyone. My Sportster is probably the loudest of my 4 bikes, followed by the old CB750. The key is not to be an idiot with the throttle when you're in a populated area.

This is no different than kids with their huge, powerful audio systems in their cars. (I was guilty of this back in my youth.) The best thing ever is listening to some ass that owns an unbaffled bike complain about the kids taking laps around town with their booming stereo system cranked up.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Some pipes are excessive, no matter how the bike is ridden. A former co-worker had drags on his HD, and you had to shout over it when it was idling, even 100 feet away, and I could hear him going down a 40mph roadway over a mile away, even though it was just cruising. I put louder-than stock pipes on my bikes and, if they are more than I like, I add plugs to reduce the outlet area enough to keep my ears working after a long ride.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Forget terrorism and the thug life, lets go after motorcycles that make a little noise.
Um, the proposed bill addresses "motor vehicle equipment". Not just motorbikes. In fact, motorbikes are not mentioned anywhere in the proposed bill.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, motorbikes are being treated fairly, exactly the same as cars, pick ups, etc.

I like Eye's suggestion, ask the ticketing LEO to describe the SAE Standard J1169 (May 1998) and in particular the relevance of the cancelled revision of 2007.

As well, SAE J1169/1998 doesn't apply to motorcycles. The standard refers to -

"measuring the exhaust sound level of passenger cars, multipurpose vehicles, and light trucks under stationary conditions."

That may get someone off having a modified exhaust an their bike. A motorbike cannot be tested against SAE J1169/1998, it applies only to passenger cars, multipurpose vehicles and light trucks.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Um, the proposed bill addresses "motor vehicle equipment". Not just motorbikes. In fact, motorbikes are not mentioned anywhere in the proposed bill.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, motorbikes are being treated fairly, exactly the same as cars, pick ups, etc.

I like Eye's suggestion, ask the ticketing LEO to describe the SAE Standard J1169 (May 1998) and in particular the relevance of the cancelled revision of 2007.

As well, SAE J1169/1998 doesn't apply to motorcycles. The standard refers to -

"measuring the exhaust sound level of passenger cars, multipurpose vehicles, and light trucks under stationary conditions."

That may get someone off having a modified exhaust an their bike. A motorbike cannot be tested against SAE J1169/1998, it applies only to passenger cars, multipurpose vehicles and light trucks.
Yep, you yourself should be worried more about a little noise than the influx of Muslims and your government taking over your country. Great choice!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.