Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about starting my daughter on a scooter and finding a junker to get running. I have seen a few that you sit on like a motorcycle with pegs. But both my Daughter and I really don't like flat footing on a normal scooter. It just feels very awkward to me.

I saw an older Yamaha on Craigs list once but the person never responded to me..... Just curious if you guys have any thoughts or advice about what to look for.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,092 Posts
Not many scooters fit that description. The only ones that do that come to mind are things like the Honda Big Ruckus (floorboards), Honda PCX (floorboards), or a moped like a Tomos.

There are also underbone motorbikes out there like the Honda Super Cub, Yamaha U7E, Sym Symba. These machines are neither motorcycles, nor motored bicycles, nor scooters, sitting something as an in between. They have manual transmissions with automatic clutches, pegs, low displacement engines, and narrow wheels.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also find it awkward. What helps some on my Genuine Buddy 170i is using the pillion foot rests which puts my feet directly below me. Pretty sharp knee bend though so I can't do that too long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
.....There are also underbone motorbikes out there like the Honda Super Cub, Yamaha U7E, Sym Symba. These machines are neither motorcycles, nor motored bicycles, nor scooters, sitting something as an in between. They have manual transmissions with automatic clutches, pegs, low displacement engines, and narrow wheels.
Miss Mercedes is exactly correct. The Underbone style is also known as a "Step-through". Check my profile pic. Marketed to younger college students and women, it is a motorcycle with the motor between your legs, but the tank is under seat and not between the bars and rider. The Honda Cub or Super Cub are still built today. You can get a brand new 2019 - 125cc for about $3,500. But the vintage style are 50cc, 70cc, 90cc, and 100cc. The same bike but ruggedized is called the "Trail". The Trail comes in the same small displacement ranges as the Cubs.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miss Mercedes is exactly correct. The Underbone style is also known as a "Step-through". Check my profile pic. Marketed to younger college students and women, it is a motorcycle with the motor between your legs, but the tank is under seat and not between the bars and rider. The Honda Cub or Super Cub are still built today. You can get a brand new 2019 - 125cc for about $3,500. But the vintage style are 50cc, 70cc, 90cc, and 100cc. The same bike but ruggedized is called the "Trail". The Trail comes in the same small displacement ranges as the Cubs.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with!
This might be a good way to start my daughter off on. Personally I don't really want one... LOL. But I also have to think of how to start the kids off in a safe way...... It might behoove me to look into these. Thanks for the tips guys!!!!!

And even though I say I don't really want one, in all reality I like anything with an engine and wheels, so...... I'm sure I would like it just fine. LOL. Just want something more eventually. It probably wouldn't be bad for me to get my feet wet on one of these either but I think I could probably handle more power right off the bat. But I've ridden before. And they haven't. We've been riding bikes and it dawned on me yesterday that the fact that I'm having to explain how bike gears work to my daughter, because I just cleaned up a mountain bike I got for free for her. I only needed to put innertubes on it and I cleaned the heck out of it. Anyways.... She had been used to riding my cruiser bike and now that she's got gears it's all new to her. If gears on a bicycle are a learning curve for her, I guess that might be a clue about how to go about starting her on something with an engine strapped to it..... I would like for her to learn how to drive a manual machine...... but I guess I may need to start with more baby steps.

She started on this, coaster brake, I ride this one mostly too:

Then I got this one cleaned up, my neighbors were moving and it was sitting for free. I learned how to get rust off rims though... well, most of the rust, LOL.

Us motorcycle shopping, dreaming. We can't afford any of these at this point:

wishin really badly I was this guy. Can you imagine riding on a beach????? On such a cool custom machine?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Maybe sit on a few scooters before deciding that the seating position would not work for you. Just looking at one doesn't give you a good assessment. I ride a Goldwing, but I also own a new Honda PCX150. Sitting on the PCX feels very natural, even if very different from sitting on a motorcycle. And riding this little scooter is immensely fun. I bought it as a second bike for running around town on errands and as a way to try to get my wife started on riding. But she had trouble learning throttle control, often rolling ON the throttle when reaching for the front brake lever, and I think she has given up on riding. But I love riding this scooter and the seating position feels very comfortable and secure. And not needing to shift gears makes riding this scooter incredibly easy and intuitive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look up that model. A scooter would be a good way to get the kids involved and just stay on the safer low traffic streets in my neighborhood and such. I keep going back and forth about if I want to ride fully in the world. Once you get out of the subdivisions around there there is a lot of traffic. I live in between two cities and even though were out of them, mostly everyone is commuting up to Milwaukee or Racine. It has not helped that there is a LOT of constrution around us lately and things have been very tough, driving wise. It will probably smooth out by the end of the year but it's giving me some pause as to how much I want to ride out in the world.

At least a scooter could be fun in the neighborhood and teach the kids how to ride on something with two wheels and an engine. We've all been riding bikes this year though.

·
1,092 Posts
Sounds like you live in the Wisconsin city I lived in a few years ago and visit on a regular basis. :D There are some great riding roads out there should you decide to get fully into riding on the road. A low displacement scooter will be great for neighbourhood and city streets. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Northern Racine, just south of the County border of Milwaukee Racine.... In a nice, landlocked neighborhood right off Lake Michigan. There are quite a few roads around here with not a lot of traffic. But then there are also roads with lots of traffic. 32 and especially 31. And right now theres tons of construction and very hard to drive around.

BUT, our subdivision is not affected by the thru traffic and many places around here aren't. I also have this dream to have a motorcycle to ride down to the lighthouse on a nice night. It's SO peaceful there.

So yeah... a scooter may be a good place to start. I think I'd really like a small dual sport eventually, because I have a few friends with big yards. But then again I actually like cruisers. They are the most comfortable to me. LOL. Maybe a dual sport cruiser????? :O

I see that you are just over the border in Illinois. My Dad's side of the family is from Illinois. My Great Grandpa, who rode a Suzuki B100 in the 60's and 70's lived in Zion. My Dad is from Winthrop Harbor. But my Dad and Grandma both live out in McHenry now. Oh yeah, my Mom has family on her side in Wilmot too. We have family all around that area.

Thanks for your input. My wife even said she MIGHT be interested in getting on a scooter. In the meantime we are all just enjoying bicycle riding in our subdivision.

Oh, I do have a scooter shop right down the street from us and he even said he's got a shipping container full of projects I could maybe pick one out and try to fix up for cheap. If there is such a thing. LOL.

·
1,092 Posts
Ha! Funny enough I actually live in McHenry right now. :) I thought you were in Kenosha based on your description but looks like I got it just a tad south. I frequent Zion during the summer for Illinois Beach State Park, then Kenosha and Racine as I have good friends out there. Shipping container full of projects? Don't say that to me, I finally got rid of all my scooter projects! :D

A 150cc scooter could definitely handle 31 traffic. They're usually good for 60-65 mph and have more than enough pep. Cruisers are a fun way to eat up a ton of miles and I guess if you really wanted, you could just put ADV tires on one! ;) I love this dual sport Goldwing and kinda want to copy it. lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
You mean like the Cushman Eagle. https://nationalmcmuseum.org/2017/08/04/1961-cushman-eagle/ Specifically designed to evoke the look of the big american iron of it's day.

These were a bit before even my time, but they were tons cooler than the mini bikes my friends were riding. If you can find one at an affordable price, and restored it, I suspect you would realize a much better return on your invested time, than with most scooters. They reliably bring $4K + in good restored condition here in the midwest. Don't be tempted to use a Harbor Freight or a Honda utility engine though, although you could, because that will cut the value in half.

There's a guy locally whose uncle built up one of these Cushmans with a Vanguard V-twin. He said his uncle would ride the thing cross country, on the freeway to attend Cushman meets. Good Fun!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those Cushman's are the beginning of my interest in motorcycles. An older kid I knew got a Cushman scooter around 1966 & I saw him all over town on it. He thrashed it too, seems like he went 60 mph everywhere. It looked like a blast to ride & I imagined having a scooter. Soon bought a minibike & by 16 I earned enough to buy a used Honda SL100, the first of 8 bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts