Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that doesn't likely seem like much for most of yas, but it was kind of a big thing for me. I've had the bike maybe a couple of months, and this was only the third time out, both of the other rides were maybe a half hour or so. Finally got a full faced helmet, some gloves and a seat pad to make the ride more comfortable. The bike still stumbles and bumbles at slow speeds, so I don't really trust it yet, afraid of it stalling or something and getting stranded. But I knew a friend was home from work and I had someone to call if that happened, so dumped most of a can of seafoam in the tank, put on my leather vest, and hit the road. Was out for a couple of hours, only went maybe 45 miles total, but there was road construction, farm field debris, and two towns, so the bike and I had some good getting to know each other time.
Found a parking lot and practiced some u-turns and circles at slow speeds; stopped at a store and practiced backing into a good parking spot, shutting it off and going in for a bottle of water; stopped for gas and even had a minor "grab the escape route" incident when a car decided to pass me then cut in on me due to an oncoming car they hadn't seen. By the time I got home I was feeling more confident in my returning skills and a little more trusting of the bike. It still doesn't like going slow, but didn't seem like it was going to quit on me.
The bike does like going fast. Had to keep checking my speed and slowing down, I was hitting 65+ without half trying. I'm going to have to try one of those throttle lock things. 30 years ago it wasn't an issue but my old arthritic hands go completely numb after a bit and not being able to shake out the throttle hand and get some feeling back in it is a problem.
I've been putting some break loose juice on the engine guard bolts every time I walk by, hopefully this weekend I'll get time to see if I can break them loose at all and install the freeway bars I bought. Also going to try changing the oil. Big project will be trying to figure out how to replace the footpegs with some boards. And maybe some day I'll get the chrome cleaned up.
But overall I'm happy with the bike. A 2001 that I picked up pretty cheap, showing just under 2,500 miles on the odometer. Do I believe it? Not sure, but it doesn't look or act like a beat up old bike, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
Just feeling good about the ride.
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
On The Road Again!
4,672 Posts
Owned it a couple of months, and this is only the third time out??
That is not the way to become a good rider.
You should be taking a ride every day that the weather is good.
Even a short ride is better than no ride. You have to do it often
enough that it becomes second nature. You need to do it without
thinking about it.
Good luck with it.

Reactions: Paula HD

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
209 Posts
Eh, go at your own pace. If you make yourself go out because you think you have to, that takes the fun out of it, especially as we get on in years. Go out when you feel like going out. It’s not a competition, it’s supposed to be relaxing enjoyment. Keep doing what you’re doing … you’ll be fine.

And nice looking bike, btw. Glad you’re enjoying it!

·
Visionary
5,822 Posts
Sounds like the stumbling at low speed is probably due to dirty carbs from disuse. Your on the right track with the seafoam, use plenty and keep riding it but if that doesn't do the trick you might have to pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly. Nothing worse than sitting for carburetors, 2000 miles in 20 years..that bike needs some exercise!

Reactions: Hearbroken

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,160 Posts
Welcome to the club. Enjoy the rides at your own pace, don't let anyone push you into doing more than you are comfortable with. At some future point going 65 mph will not seem fast at all, and then you will know you are getting to be more of an experienced rider. Get some storage, even just throw-over nylon saddlebags so that you have a place to keep some essentials with you at all times, such as a rainsuit. For arthritic hands, getting a bike with real cruise control can be an enormous improvement in the fun of riding.

Reactions: Hearbroken

·
Zip
2,981 Posts
I'm going to have to try one of those throttle lock things. 30 years ago it wasn't an issue but my old arthritic hands go completely numb after a bit and not being able to shake out the throttle hand and get some feeling back in it is a problem.
Something like this might also help: Amazon.com: Alpha Rider Cruise Throttle Assist For 7/8" Handlebar Universal Motorcycle Throttle Mounted Assist Oil Control For Street Bike Sport Off Road Scooter Naked ATV 22MM Handlebar : Automotive

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, definitely taking my time and riding when it feels right. Part of the problem is the county decided to mill and repave my road this summer, so I didn't even try to fight that mess. They're out there again today, making a racket and blocking my driveway with trucks. Plus I'm working overtime for a bit, so recreational time has been scarce.
The new smooth asphalt is what got me going fast without realizing it. I'm cautious, to be sure. 30 years ago, after riding for maybe six years or so, I sold my bike and quit riding after picking up a rider who had just been hit by a car and had both a leg and an arm torn off. (I was an EMT). So I have experience, but it was a long time ago and I'm trying to be smart because I've seen the consequences.
No overnight trips. Since losing my husband I've hardly been able to set foot out of the house, so just going for an occasional ride around the neighborhood is a big step.
I have some saddlebags picked out, will probably order them this week. The seat pad took priority for these old bones. Roger that palm rest looks like a good idea, have you tried one? I might look into that.
Hoping the seafoam works, I've bought the manual and been reading up on it and syncing those carbs is likely beyond my skill set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know that doesn't likely seem like much for most of yas, but it was kind of a big thing for me. I've had the bike maybe a couple of months, and this was only the third time out, both of the other rides were maybe a half hour or so. Finally got a full faced helmet, some gloves and a seat pad to make the ride more comfortable. The bike still stumbles and bumbles at slow speeds, so I don't really trust it yet, afraid of it stalling or something and getting stranded. But I knew a friend was home from work and I had someone to call if that happened, so dumped most of a can of seafoam in the tank, put on my leather vest, and hit the road. Was out for a couple of hours, only went maybe 45 miles total, but there was road construction, farm field debris, and two towns, so the bike and I had some good getting to know each other time.
Found a parking lot and practiced some u-turns and circles at slow speeds; stopped at a store and practiced backing into a good parking spot, shutting it off and going in for a bottle of water; stopped for gas and even had a minor "grab the escape route" incident when a car decided to pass me then cut in on me due to an oncoming car they hadn't seen. By the time I got home I was feeling more confident in my returning skills and a little more trusting of the bike. It still doesn't like going slow, but didn't seem like it was going to quit on me.
The bike does like going fast. Had to keep checking my speed and slowing down, I was hitting 65+ without half trying. I'm going to have to try one of those throttle lock things. 30 years ago it wasn't an issue but my old arthritic hands go completely numb after a bit and not being able to shake out the throttle hand and get some feeling back in it is a problem.
I've been putting some break loose juice on the engine guard bolts every time I walk by, hopefully this weekend I'll get time to see if I can break them loose at all and install the freeway bars I bought. Also going to try changing the oil. Big project will be trying to figure out how to replace the footpegs with some boards. And maybe some day I'll get the chrome cleaned up.
But overall I'm happy with the bike. A 2001 that I picked up pretty cheap, showing just under 2,500 miles on the odometer. Do I believe it? Not sure, but it doesn't look or act like a beat up old bike, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
Just feeling good about the ride.
View attachment 74612
Sounds like you are enjoying your bike in spite of the quirks. You don't have to get your bike out there every day. Some people, like myself, can't ride every day for one reason or another, weather, jobs etc. but I have been riding for 14 years, took the MSF course and practiced in parking lots, at slow speeds, on the highway, when I was ready to go the next step. People say 1,000 miles clocked is what you need to feel comfortable, but it's really individual. There is no time limit or pressure. You decide what is right for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, definitely taking my time and riding when it feels right. Part of the problem is the county decided to mill and repave my road this summer, so I didn't even try to fight that mess. They're out there again today, making a racket and blocking my driveway with trucks. Plus I'm working overtime for a bit, so recreational time has been scarce.
The new smooth asphalt is what got me going fast without realizing it. I'm cautious, to be sure. 30 years ago, after riding for maybe six years or so, I sold my bike and quit riding after picking up a rider who had just been hit by a car and had both a leg and an arm torn off. (I was an EMT). So I have experience, but it was a long time ago and I'm trying to be smart because I've seen the consequences.
No overnight trips. Since losing my husband I've hardly been able to set foot out of the house, so just going for an occasional ride around the neighborhood is a big step.
I have some saddlebags picked out, will probably order them this week. The seat pad took priority for these old bones. Roger that palm rest looks like a good idea, have you tried one? I might look into that.
Hoping the seafoam works, I've bought the manual and been reading up on it and syncing those carbs is likely beyond my skill set.
Dear Heartbroken...I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. My deepest condolences. I lost my husband ten years ago and I also barely left the house the first four years that he was gone. We were together for forty-four years. They would want us to be happy, so please do whatever makes you content. Take care.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bobbie. We had only a short time together and I feel cheated out of the years we should have had. So yeah, very hard to leave the house or even just live. Riding the motorcycle at least takes a lot of concentration and distracts my mind for a bit. Two wheel therapy.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Dear Heartbroken...I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. My deepest condolences. I lost my husband ten years ago and I also barely left the house the first four years that he was gone. We were together for forty-four years. They would want us to be happy, so please do whatever makes you content. Take care.
This year will be my 42nd year with my wife, and I just want to confirm what you said, if I go before my wife does, I want her to find and do things that will make her happy. We'll meet up again, later on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a email my wife sent to are church pastor. Talking about my first Goldwing a 1982.A funny story. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

PT,
PRAY PRAY PRAY Pete is taking the cycle out .... oh my gosh PT I can't stop laughing... he has that old racing helmet on.... it even has his name on it... now people will know who he is LOL LOL LOL ... it is so big... hey I can actually look at him on that beast and he looks little LOL LOL LOL ... when he first tryed to put it on that middle kick stand (I think thats what you call it) he had troulbe it was so heavy... all I could see is it falling and smashing into the side of my car... LOL LOL LOL he sat in the driveway for a while before he tryed it... tell me he wasn't scared ... his face said it all.... I just wish i had the movie camera going it is so funny... just picture him with a racing helmet on that he wore way back when he was a young whipper snapper.. it looks to small... like its just sitting on top of his head... like one of those toupee's... his name on it ... I expect any moment for someone to knock at the door and say I found this guy sitting along the curb beside this cycle.. I figured he belonged to you .. his name was on hs helmet... he keeps going around the block... I hear him out there... he probably can't turn in the driveway so he is gonna keep going around til he runs out of gas LOL LOL LOL ... gonna go look for the movie camera ....

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,099 Posts
This is a email my wife sent to are church pastor. Talking about my first Goldwing a 1982.A funny story. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: View attachment 74708

PT,
PRAY PRAY PRAY Pete is taking the cycle out .... oh my gosh PT I can't stop laughing... he has that old racing helmet on.... it even has his name on it... now people will know who he is LOL LOL LOL ... it is so big... hey I can actually look at him on that beast and he looks little LOL LOL LOL ... when he first tryed to put it on that middle kick stand (I think thats what you call it) he had troulbe it was so heavy... all I could see is it falling and smashing into the side of my car... LOL LOL LOL he sat in the driveway for a while before he tryed it... tell me he wasn't scared ... his face said it all.... I just wish i had the movie camera going it is so funny... just picture him with a racing helmet on that he wore way back when he was a young whipper snapper.. it looks to small... like its just sitting on top of his head... like one of those toupee's... his name on it ... I expect any moment for someone to knock at the door and say I found this guy sitting along the curb beside this cycle.. I figured he belonged to you .. his name was on hs helmet... he keeps going around the block... I hear him out there... he probably can't turn in the driveway so he is gonna keep going around til he runs out of gas LOL LOL LOL ... gonna go look for the movie camera ....

View attachment 74708
Now that is love

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
My wife rode all over the place with me. We would take our summer vacations on the bike. Sometimes, on long, boring stretches of highway, she would take a nap. I'd never know she was asleep until we stopped somewhere and she told me.

My wife does a lot of praying, but when I think of her praying while we were anywhere on the bike, it was in Yellowstone National Park. We were staying in our tent and she was praying we wouldn't see any bears. We saw lots of elk and buffalo, but no bears!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts