Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After receiving an email from the local Harley dealer that they were doing demo rides with the Livewire today, just out of curiosity I went to take a look at them. They had six units for sale, and after looking them over, there is no way in hell this bike will be a success for Harley at the asking price of $30,000 dollars. Regardless of the technology, there's just not enough bike there for the money. Hopefully a couple of the new (gas powered) models that's due to be released in 2020 (Adventure Tourer & the Streetfighter) will be successful for them because I know this one wont be.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
The liveWire is a flop, and I don't see that changing. Two months arriving late at the dealer and the rollout is at best labeled bleak. Most orders coming into Harley are from older riders who already ride and have for years... they ain't buying no damn electric bike, one that cost as much as a small car.

The younger buyers are being put off by the high cost, which as has been stated, just a couple bucks shy of 30K. That and it's range which isn't too bad at 145 miles in the city but drops big time on the highway, about 95 miles.

The dealers that have been spoken with haven't been impressed. Sure they get inquiries from young customers but struggle mightily to translate them into sales. Key reason is price. One manager, who did not want his name revealed, said interest is very high but when you get to pricing, interest is thrown out the window.

Millennials are too strapped with student loans and have no interest in shelling out 30K for a toy. Especially one with limited range. Some Harley dealers apparently are not even going to order the bike which would require them investing in a level 3 charging station and training staff.

Harley claims to have orders for between 400 and 1600 LiveWires. Less than one percent of the number of bikes it sells per year. What is that thud I hear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have played with the idea of gettin a Zero because I’m strangely enamored with it’s stealthy silence.
Yet I just can’t justify the cost.
Electric bikes will never be successful until they are comparable in cost to the combustion engine.

I also believe that the push for more electric things, in general, is a misguided attempt at reducing harmful waste into the environment. If everyone was driving an electric car, we would be overwhelmed with used batteries and the need to increase electricity production on the grid.

But the most important thing is, I could never give up the purr of my gas powered engine or the smell of a hot bike in my garage after a ride.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Being an older rider, I just don't think I could ever buy an electric bike. I'd be watching the odometer, (range guage?) wondering if I go 10 more miles this way, can I still get home?

With a gas engine, don't worry about it, stop at a gas station and in 10 or 15 minutes, full tank of gas, keep riding, go home when I want, not when I have to.

But never say never, I bought a Harley didn't I? (But it's not electric.) :)

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
I have played with the idea of gettin a Zero because I’m strangely enamored with it’s stealthy silence.
I fully agree about the silence. I've always liked quiet bikes.
But the electric bike I'm in love with is the Lightning 218.
It's called the 218 because that's how fast it will go!!
If I won the lottery I'd have a Lightning in a heartbeat.
And you'd be attending my funeral the following weekend! :devil::devil::devil:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have no idea what they were thinking. So much time money and effort developing and bringing to market an electric bike at that price point. I would say someone needs to be fired, but it appears that this might be the result of having a bunch of yes men/women at the top, instead of someone speaking reality and truth. Or, the idea of Harley going in a completely different direction with something like this might have just been to intoxicating for those decision makers at the top to even think about it realistically. I mean, they knew what they had to sell them for before the first one was ever built.

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
So I rode this bike sometime back in July. It was an addictive experience. I did a wheelie and a burnout at the same time. The instant torque also just melts your brain. In short, it ticks every single box someone of my age wants in a bike. But $30k...

I'm not swimming in debt. I've purchased two brand new cars and I plan on buying a new bike in a year or two. But $30k. That's a lot to ask for. For 30 grand you can buy the fastest street legal motorcycle in the world and still have enough left over to buy a gently used Hayabusa AND a new Honda Grom.

And while the Zero bikes may not be known for superb reliability, they have better performance and range for a fraction of the price.

I love the LiveWire to death, but the price is all kinds of stupid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 Zero S ZF11.4. It was under $6k and had ~11300 miles. I was considering buying a new 2018 Zero S for about $12k. Out the door it was about $15k, close to my budget. $30k+tax+fees? Nonstarter for me. I think even Harley's electric bicycles are going to be around what I paid.

BC

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
The smart people in the E bike business are the folks in Oregon, that ran their bike at the IOM. Lap average of about 115 I think. There is a video of John McGinnis riding one.
Polaris bought that company. Not sure what the Polaris E bike is called. It takes smart guys to make a bike go around the IOM at 115. But otherwise it is pretty easy to make a regular bike. Kid in the city near me did that. Used a 600 Honda frame, chucked the engine and gearbox, put in batteries and an E motor.
George on my Island makes 2 and 3 wheeled E powered bikes and trikes. George made the worlds fastest peddle bike.

Another guy is riding a $5,000 E bike every day to and from work. He just bought another one for the summer, and uses the first one during the winter.

BUT. I paid $250 for my 83 XS400. Spent another $750 on bearings and tyres and racks and boxes and bars and lights and stuff.
And a battery. It works for me.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I fully agree about the silence. I've always liked quiet bikes.
But the electric bike I'm in love with is the Lightning 218.
It's called the 218 because that's how fast it will go!!
If I won the lottery I'd have a Lightning in a heartbeat.
And you'd be attending my funeral the following weekend! :devil::devil::devil:
Never heard of it so had to do a search. I have to agree, that's got to be the best looking electric I've seen. Granted I'm not looking for them all the time. Looking at the specs I see a 30 minute recharge and that's acceptable. And 100-150 mile range could be very doable. For a lot of folks 100 miles is time to take a break anyway. So maybe a 15 to 20 minute charge could easily keep you going until the next break and then take the full 30 minute charge. And I'm seeing those charging stations pop up here and there now.

So yes, that's not bad at all. Then if you really want to tick someone off, punch it a leave them behind like they were parked. Yeah, that could fun beyond words. But for $39K I gag. That's a fully loaded Indian Roadmaster. But for those money pockets out there I'm sure they are having or will have tons of fun. For a style I don't care for, I like.:thumbsup:

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Yep, it's expensive alright. But not THAT much more expensive than that Livewire thing.
But if you want to ride the fastest bike on the planet, you gotta pay!
218 mph and totally silent!!
(DROOL!!!)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
[ame]https://youtu.be/tRpMV-Gf0hA?t=2[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/3ErAqgNI58Q?t=1[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/o3DiAecsh_0?t=16[/ame]

Eye candy tastes good anytime:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I can't imagine letting the general public get their hands on a bike that will do 218mph. Surely they'll some kind of throttle limiter added that you have to figure out how to get around. Liability anyone???

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
All it would take to RUIN the Sportbike fun is for all of the Insurance companies to get together and do this:

Raise ALL premiums to say $12,000 per year:surprise:

This would end 99% of their liability because very few people could afford the coverage.:sad:

New, young and inexperienced riders, riding their 600-1000 Racebikes in street drag, could also be assessed very high yearly rates.:smile_big:

Soccer Mom's though will still be driving their BMW's, Mercedes Benz, Audi. Jaguar and similar SUV's with 500 Horsepower engines, doing 12 second quarter miles.:grin:

A solo accident at 100 mph can be just as fatal as one at 200 mph, I'm sure:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts