Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quote from the text, "......even if you have the best products in the world unless you have customer service to match – whether it’s the public, customers or even demanding media that you’re dealing with – you simply will not survive in the 21st Century. Consumers are smart, unlike me, and will walk taking their money with them."

https://rideapart.com/articles/why-this-harley-will-be-my-last

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I'd say there's something more on this guy's agenda. :coffeescreen:

He says they won't allow a test ride? You can schedule one right from their website. Maybe he meant they won't allow him to test ride the exact same bike he wants to buy.

They won't negotiate on price? That's bull$hit. Maybe he meant they wouldn't sell it for what he offered.

Didn't have the tire in stock? That can happen, and having worked at a dealership I can say that almost the next thing out of the counterman's mouth would be, "But I can get you one here in X days." So maybe he meant he was miffed because they didn't have it right THEN.

True, dealerships are independently owned, and you can find a few bad ones, but this guy then goes on to say it's a culture like that all across the dealer network. Yet he keeps going back to these different dealers all across the country because they have such lousy service and elitist attitudes? I dern sure wouldn't.

The guy says he has owned several Harley's, yet he didn't ever mention which ones, did he? Just about every hog owner I know will be glad to point out which model they own and usually start listing the modifications.

I think he's a hater that's recycling his trash.

Hey Soupy, I'll be interested to see what your opinion of the elitist attitude at the dealership here is on the 7th.:thumbsup:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,477 Posts
I have never had that issue at a dealers, I have always had pleasant sales clerks who always offer a test ride on a similar bike to the one I am looking at. Even though I tell them I am just looking and not buying.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I read about all these people going to all these dealerships all the time. I don't mean the article. I mean on the forums. People go on and on about going to motorcycle dealerships. The only time I go to any vehicle dealership is when I'm shopping to buy. Sure, that may well be a multiple dealership tour over a few weeks time, but dealerships aren't where I go to hangout. If I'm there, it's to spend money. Or get something fixed, and then I'm hoping it's not to spend money.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..............Hey Soupy, I'll be interested to see what your opinion of the elitist attitude at the dealership here is on the 7th.:thumbsup:
At the risk of being redundant, I took a trip last year to Florida, in which we chose to "stop at every HD Dealership we see," just for something to do. It's kinda like going to every Cracker Barrel we see (which we ALSO do), but for a different reason (lol).

There is no doubt that wherever you go, for whatever product, you will find folks who feel (at least outwardly) very strongly about their product, to the point of snobbery.

I have read at least one response by someone (perhaps in here) that stated that they found the Customer Service and so forth, AFTER the sale, to be less than great. THAT was discouraging, but not unexpected. Once they get your money, no matter WHAT the product is that you bought, they "have" you by the Kahoona's (sp?) and they KNOW it!

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read about all these people going to all these dealerships all the time. I don't mean the article. I mean on the forums. People go on and on about going to motorcycle dealerships. The only time I go to any vehicle dealership is when I'm shopping to buy. Sure, that may well be a multiple dealership tour over a few weeks time, but dealerships aren't where I go to hangout. If I'm there, it's to spend money. Or get something fixed, and then I'm hoping it's not to spend money.
I understand what you are saying, but it really depends on how much you love the product. I too will avoid too much "eye candy" when I realize I'm on overload; ESPECIALLY when my wallet is empty!!

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
At the risk of being redundant, I took a trip last year to Florida, in which we chose to "stop at every HD Dealership we see," just for something to do.
So watcha think? In your actual experience is there an elitist attitude and snobbery all across the dealer network?

(Not from the owners, mind you, but from the people at the dealerships. Some of the owners CAN be a little snobby.) :)

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
My two bits. I've found that forging a relationship with any dealer can make a real difference. Yes, prices can be a bit higher but in the end I've always found that if you bought there, buy your oil there and grab a filter every 3, 4 months that suddenly you're getting the "good buddy" discount. When things go wrong they "can fit you in" tomorrow. If you walk into a dealership and say, "Gimme" then you may find your attitude is reciprocated.

The only thing I buy at the HD dealership is S100 cleaner. If I walk in and pick it up, slap it on the counter and say, "give me a deal" I know that they'll point at the price tag and say, "How's retail +10% sound?" I look around (there's cool stuff!) and often talk motorcycles with the counter guys. It makes for a pleasant experience for both of us.

Yes, service folks should be polite to d*ckhead customers--but they don't have to be nice.

·
6,495 Posts
The guys a cry baby who got his little feelings hurt- Here's your warm BAA-Baa and enjoy your stupor and nap.:mad:

Almost everything he said is opposite of my experience. I've had 77 bikes total and only 3 Harleys but by far the best experiences I've ever had at a cycle dealership's sales dept or service dept has been at Harley dealers.
:biggrin:
He needs an attitude adjustment.:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not a HD fan. Never have been, likely never will be. They have a faithful following, just aren't for me.

And despite my lack of love them, the author seems a tool.

Sales guys trying to upsell? Gee, kinda their job.

Website writer not getting a call from media when it's arguably the biggest news week in years for HD? His ego sure is bruised on that one.

I didn't see anything warranting publicly dismissing HD. His arguments are no more valid than mine - shrug, just not for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Before some of you start to get your knives out and say I am nothing but a whining journalist let me make a few things clear. Every time I purchased a Harley-Davidson it’s been with cash. No special media rate."

First of all: There's a 'special media rate'?

Second of all: no, you're not a whining journalist. You're just a whiner.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Somebody got his feelings stuck out.I will admit that I haven't had a lot of luck with my local dealership but I have been in Harley dealerships all over the country and had some excellent service.It is a sad fact that some people just don't care and you will run into them from time to time,eat your Wheaties and deal with it!

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but it really depends on how much you love the product. I too will avoid too much "eye candy" when I realize I'm on overload; ESPECIALLY when my wallet is empty!!

-Soupy
Sometimes our words actually can come back to haunt us... ;)

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
from the article said:
It runs along the lines of ‘We’re Harley-Davidson. We can decide who to talk to and how we behave. Either accept our customer service and like it or take a hike, as we know for every person that walks away another three will be coming through the doors wanting to buy our motorcycles’.
This seems to be the attitude for several HD dealers in this area (which are all owned by the same group.) I hear many riders say that "they love you until you sign the papers and ride away." After that everything is like pulling teeth. They will fight you on warranty claims, have poor service departments, and don't give any discounts on accessories or parts.

·
American Legion Rider
18,562 Posts
In areas that have an Indian dealer the Harley dealers have changed over night. But where the Harley dealer also owns an Indian dealership, no change and the Indian dealership is just as bad. Indian is back and Harley knows it. I'll ride 600+ miles to an Indian dealer in Little Rock before I'd go to the one in Fort Worth just because of the way they treat customers in both cases.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts