Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday I rode the Goldwing to a car dealership and bought a new work vehicle - had to get the bike home somehow....

Rode it up on their alignment rack, they raised the rack up, then we backed the bike into the new van.

It worked!

:coffee:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Just remember to not sit up TOO SOON and let her rip.:D

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
When we towed my Valkyrie back from KC, we realized we didn't want to try to ease the Fat Lady down the relatively short ramps we had, and our winch has no reverse. Solution: find a parking lot with a hump in the middle, back the trailer up to it, and ease the beast down a much shallower angle. Surely, there's a hill you can back up to, so you can ride it away.

·
8,572 Posts
Crusty, that looks just like my past 1981 Yamaha XS1100, with the Vetter fairing with lowers!!!!! What a bike!

Sam:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Laramie

Porky:
That is the 1980 XS1100 I inherited from dearly departed Larry early this year.
Had been sitting for about 20 years. Have had it running. Needs brakes mostly.
It will be the fair weather cruiser and show bike.

Metaldoc:
Roll the bike to the back of the van, connect one sky hook, drive the van forward and connect second sky hook, drive van away.
But a good wide ramp will work and be easier. I brought Laramie home in an open utility trailer. Had no brakes.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old staging planks make for great improvised ramps. I backed up to a hill at my place and wheeled it off - actually, that was easier than backing it into the van from the alignment rack! Never try that!

On the bright side, I shut down the entire service department with the show - many hands make light work.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Your post reminded me of my Dad who 40 ago was into RVs when he discovered motorcycles. (He had bought a Kawasaki 75 to get around the campground but soon was riding it around town.) His second bike a Honda 350 needed a crane to get it onto the RV rack. But it is surprising how often you can find a ramp/crane/ pallet jacket or whatever when you need it. But soon the RVs were gone and he converted to wings which he rode until he was 84.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts