Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've become the statistic. Picked up the bike yesterday wrecked it today. :frown: and I'm not a new rider. Just new to Harley. So it was towed and I spent 5 hours in the ER getting evaluated. No broken bones just possible tendon and ligament damage to the knees and scrapes. Had all the PPEs on. Bike on the other hand....

So I've read comprehensive and collision covers repairs up to the value of the bike. Wondering if this is true.. (Anyone had experience)? I want to get back on that bike as soon as I heal! It was my fault for taking turn too fast. Please let me know if anyone had experience with comp/collision and what I should look out for (any "hidden" fieprints)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that Ylwf3vr but glad that you are OK - a bike can be repaired or replaced. I don't know what to tell you about your insurance coverage, too many variables with companies and options to guess.
Can you tell us what happened ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, sorry to hear that Ylwf3vr but glad that you are OK - a bike can be repaired or replaced. I don't know what to tell you about your insurance coverage, too many variables with companies and options to guess.
Can you tell us what happened ?
It was turns back to back. Hit the first smooth but didn't see the second turn and went in too hot. When I realized I crossed over the yellow double lines I stood it up to prep to go into the field. I should've leaned it more and held on. Good thing traffic was light. No oncoming traffic.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
Man that sucks, roads slick in Hawaii? Your insurance is the only one that can tell you what is covered. The sportster?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man that sucks, roads slick in Hawaii? Your insurance is the only one that can tell you what is covered. The sportster?
It wasn't slick. There were some pebbles on the road but totally my fault for not looking ahead. Yep my sportster :(

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Damn... sux that this happened to you, but, as Ratchet stated, bikes can be replaced, you CANNOT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn... sux that this happened to you, but, as Ratchet stated, bikes can be replaced, you CANNOT.
Thanks guys. Yeah I had Kevlar jeans on which prevented majority of the scrapes. Bike fell on my leg as it skidded so didn't protected me from that. I'll recover and hope Progressivr will fix it. I want to get back on two wheels.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and really glad you weren't hurt worse. Keep the anti-inflammatory and pain relievers on hand for tomorrow.

Have you reported the accident to your Insurance Company yet? Please let us know what happens. Some of us might learn that we need to increase our coverage. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and really glad you weren't hurt worse. Keep the anti-inflammatory and pain relievers on hand for tomorrow.

Have you reported the accident to your Insurance Company yet? Please let us know what happens. Some of us might learn that we need to increase our coverage. Good Luck to you.
Yes I started a claim but as its Sunday the claim rep will call me tomorrow. Yeah I'll keep you all in the loop!

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
My only Insurance Coverage Story can pass on is the Victory Kingpin Tour I had was Valued at $8500 .. Repairs were $6,000 so they chose to Total rather than Repair it Forgot what the Percentage of Value was but seems like if it was 60-70% Total it rather than Repair it .. Glad you are Okay for the most part and unfortunately this does happen when ride a Motorcycle ..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident and glad to hear you're not badly hurt. I've had two minor accidents in the past few years, both my fault for inattention. The first one I used insurance and had to pay a deductible, the second I chose to pay out of pocket so as not to have the insurance premiums go a lot higher than they already have. Insurance companies are supposed to count claims against you for a certain number of years but they have much longer memories than that.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Most policies have a deductible which has to come out of pocket.

It's good to hear you were protected by your gear and came out ok. There are plenty of other motorcycles out there to replace the one you have if it comes down to that.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I try to warn people of the dangers of a new to them bike. Really need to take some extra time to learn everything about that new machine. Certainly glad you are here to tell about it. Far too often folks don't get that lucky.:thumbsup:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Sorry to hear about a hard lesson, but thankful you survived it intact.

Curves can get you even when experienced and careful. Last night coming home from a church service I was zipping around a familiar tight curve on blacktop when I spotted the faintest trace of gravel. The front wheel slid a freckle before getting a fresh bite of clean road, but it did startle me a bit. Wouldn't take much to cause a wreck.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The front wheel slid a freckle before getting a fresh bite of clean road, but it did startle me a bit.
That will cause a natural adrenaline surge. Scary stuff.

It's a good idea to not get too comfortable even with very well-known roads. Crashes almost always happen when we forget to be on alert.

What scares me is when I can't remember riding part of my commute because it is so familiar. I hope I was paying attention at the time!

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
What scares me is when I can't remember riding part of my commute because it is so familiar. I hope I was paying attention at the time!
Been there too many times. Get to work and go how did I get here and not go through "x" town. Had to but sure couldn't remember it.:(

1 - 20 of 67 Posts