Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...yep. I dropped my bike. First time since I started riding, oh, 7 years ago?

Luckily I dropped it into soft dirt, and there's no damage other than my pride. As I was getting on it to move it back to our back patio it started slowly leaning to the right. Try as I might, I couldn't correct it, and when I knew the inevitable a quickly hopped out of the way and let it drop down lightly on the ground. Well, as lightly as a 500 lbs motorcycle can be laid down.

The good news is that I had watched videos of how to pick bikes up, and easily walked it back up and onto the side stand.

As I examined the site of the unfortunate event, I believe I figured out what happened. The bike was more or less all on the concrete sidewalk, but the rear tire was right on the edge. I believe as I stood the bike upright, it rolled over and was mostly hanging off the sidewalk, thus levering it to the right.

Oh well, no longer can I say I've never dropped my bike!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It is good to hear that you and the bike were not damaged.
A 500 lb bike had better be easy to set upright, that is a lightweight in my world. My bike weighs in wet at about 900 lb and can be a challenge to set back on the stand. The backing into it method does still work though. I intentionally lay mine on the tip overs for some maintenance functions so I know what it takes to stand it up when I am done. It is still easier than working on things from the left side while the bike is on the kick stand.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you factor the much higher center of gravity and ground clearance of the Bandit compared to most cruisers, in terms of difficulty of picking up its probably right up there with 800 lbs cruisers. After all, the Bandit has a whopping 6.5" taller seat than your Vision. ;)

Once I get my Goldwing up and running I'll put it on its side intentionally and see how it compares.

·
Very Famous Person
9,842 Posts
... I intentionally lay mine on the tip overs for some maintenance functions so I know what it takes to stand it up when I am done. It is still easier than working on things from the left side while the bike is on the kick stand.
--

Off the subject, but I can't bend down on that side so well either, so I use my bike jack a lot. That makes it much easier.

--

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yeah, when you get one of those sudden shifts in the point of balance there's usually not much you can do other then try to make the fall as gentle as you can. Good thing no damage was done.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...Oh well, no longer can I say I've never dropped my bike!
Umm well, congrats on the no-consequence motorcycling checkpoint :p yes you can NOW stop wondering when the 1st drop is going to occur :D

It's just like when someone gets a new car and sweat-and-worry about getting that 1st scratch or dent in it! I've seen people so aggravated by it, that I've volunteered to go give their car a kick so they could relax.. :p but they never seem to appreciate my generous offer lol

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I dropped my old Goldwing, It went down on the right side, picked it back up, not a fun job, knew the kick stand was down so let it settle on the kickstand, it wasn't all the way down. Dropped it on the left side, now that is embarrassing. For some reason my wife thought it was hilarious, and of course that made just raised the frustration level even higher.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When my dad finally decided to give me his old Wing years ago, he pushed it to edge of the driveway and gently laid it down.

"You have to pick it up before we even discuss you riding it."

Very valuable lesson in that.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Glad it didn't get all screwed up. And, hey, if you can go another 7 years without a fall, and the next one is as harmless as this one was, l bet you'll take it :)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Welcome to the Club .. 45 Years of riding now and done it a few times, only once did a drop do any damage and even then wasn't bad .. I suppose there may be a few that never have but it sure ain't me ..

·
American Legion Rider
21,265 Posts
Does dropping it in the grass while taking it around the house to wash count? :)
Yes. It's all about balance. Where you lose that balance is beside the point. You lost focus. A tricycle will go over if you aren't paying attention. There is never a time when you can relax with a bike. Every bike has a point of no return. Never ever go there. Lesson learned where you don't get hurt is a bonus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts