Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:71baldboy:I've moved up to my next ride. I'm the newest owner of a 1999 Road Star Silverado. I'm loving this thing. It's been cold here (indiana) so I've only put about 150 miles on it so far. I'm pleased as punch with this thing. I've never driven anything with this kind of power to weight ratio. I do have a few projects planned for it. I'll be installing a cigarette lighter/charge port, new rear brakes, and repairing or replacing the fuel sending unit. I'll try to get some pics posted on these.

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,513 Posts
that's the double twin right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's the double twin right?
I'm not sure what you mean. The R* is a V-twin. Alot of people think it is a V-four, but it's not. I think it's because it has 2 plugs per cylinder. According to my service manual, Yamaha did it this way to get a faster burn rate for the 800cc in each cylinder.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
nice looking Roadie, I love mine.....it's a '08 Silverado S 1700....my next mod is the air cleaner and removing the AIS from it.....

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Great looking bikes guys. Congrats to both of you. I've liked them since they came out...they come with so many of the things I want on a bike. The stripped down bikes are nice, but I appreciate all the bells & whistles so much more. But then I like touring on a bike.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,513 Posts
I though all the Roadies were 4 cyls.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Does your road star take a while to warm up...like backfiring?
I don't know about his '99 (but I doubt it) but my '08 fires first time every time....in fact I just started it this week for the first time in a month and a half, I connected the battery tender to it about 4 days earlier, and when I went to start it, bam first hit it started right up and the idle dropped in about 15 seconds....I'll be changing my oil next week sometime and checking the brake fluids and doing some other spring maintenance on it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I start it right out of the heated garage, I don't even use the choke. Most of the time when its started cold outside I only use half choke. I usually shut the choke off within a few seconds. I do have a TINY flat spot in the throttle just off of the pilot circuit for about 10 minutes until it gets up to full opperating temp. Mine is a 99 though, so 14 years and 42k miles on a motor made of various metals is bound to need some time for things to heat to thier proper temp so they can all work in unison.

·
Registered
23 Posts
goliath 616

A 2008, can I assume that its fuel injected then? Mine starts well (carburated) but needs time before moving any where. I havent yet licenced it for the year as I just bought it recently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also mine Has 47 k on it and is not stock. 42 mikuni, patrick racing breather and 3" hard krome long shots. No fuel pump and I dont think it has a working tps. I am mostly concerned that if I am parked somewhere for a time where it cools down as to how long I will be before I can take off.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
yes mine is fuel injected, and I have Hard Krome K2 exhaust on mine, and an air breather is coming up right quick also....

·
Registered
23 Posts
It supposedly increases 10-12 hp and torque substantially. The previous owner of mine said he had it dyno'd at 73 hp and 107 ft lbs of torque. They are starting to clean the sand/gravel off our roads here now so it wont be long before I get a cruise in.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I'm going to start cheap lol and just put a K&N filter on it with the stock box, if I like the way things go I'll look into a more open design

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
if anyone is interested in a site that is dedicated to the Road Star, send me a PM and I will get the info to you, I have learned a lot about how to, and how not to modify my bike there, and there are some good resources there for parts as well

1 - 20 of 36 Posts