Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding European & Japanese bikes for the last 45 years, I finally bought a Harley. A FXDC Super Glide Custom, the deal was too good to pass up. Some of you know I've been looking at Harleys for the last year or two. At first looking at Road Kings, but every one that I test rode, just didn't have any real performance that I was looking for. They had all kinds of comfort, and looked beautiful, but just not enough performance for my needs. When I rode to North Carolina with two Harley buddies last November, I got to ride Mikes Dyna. Wow, that Harley had great performance and some nice comfort.

So I've kind of been keeping my eye out for one. I spotted this bike last Saturday with 6400 miles on the OD and in mint condition. I called the dealer Saturday and made arraignments to go there today to inspect, test ride and negotiate. I think that since they were a Powersports dealer (KTM, Honda & Yamaha) they were willing to come down considerably on price and even threw in free delivery for tomorrow since I was in my truck and 30 miles from home with no way to get the bike there. So now at 58, and always owning a plethora of other makes, I finally own my first Harley. I'm still Keeping the Guzzi and the Kawasaki, but now I know what it feels like to own a Harley, it feels real good. Here's some pics that I took while I was there.

Last two images are the dealer images:

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,456 Posts
Beautiful. Since I sold my Ultra Classic and got my BMW GTL I've been looking for a good deal on a clean Super Glide Custom. I've not found one that I thought was worth my time yet. Congratulations.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts

You got a keeper there. Stage 1 or 2 ???
What gives it the performance you were looking for?
I'm just wondering if you got issues possibly in your future.
Dealer additions or previous/original owner installs?
That can make a ton of difference with future issues.
Hope you have many smiles in your future though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
After riding European & Japanese bikes for the last 45 years, I finally bought a Harley.
Nice, they are fun and feel/ride like nothing else...how does it sound? Like a Harley or a sewing machine?

Do you want the shop manual?

Put this item number in the search area at ebay; if this isn't the right shop manual, check the sellers other items...he sells tons of manuals and the price can't be beat.

LOL...you're in florida? Hot, right?...wait till you feel the heat that comes off that giant air cooled engine. My gosh, my bike cooks my legs and ace in temps over 80. Those air cooled bikes run best between 50 and 75 degrees. In the 80's and 90's, if it gets too hot with traffic, you'll know it. It will feel like you're in 3rd gear but should be in 2nd, then you'll shift down and the RPMs go to the moon and you're like WTH? Check the owners manual, my Harley needs straight SAE 60 for temps over 80 degrees.

Here's the oil recommends out of my manual:

10w40 for temps below 40 degrees
20w50 for temps above 40 degrees.
SAE 50 for temps above 60 degrees.
SAE 60 for temps above 80 degrees.

Crazy heavy oil recommends, isn't it? Imagine SAE 60 in a sport bike...bet the clutch locks up.

You probably know this, but I'll say it because I often see people that don't understand. A Harley engine is like a 1950's tractor...low RPM and lots of torque...7000rpm on any other bike and you're cranking out the horsepower...7000rpm on a Harley and your crankshaft in laying in the road along with an assortment on nuts, bolts and springs. At a Harley forum, guy was complaining about severe engine vibration with his brand new Harley...long story short, it was his first harley and he was riding it like a sport bike...taking the RPMs to the screaming territory before shifting...nope, can't do that with a Harley.

PS. Stock up on "special tools" and odd sized sockets and allen/torx wrenches...I have a tool collection spanning 40 years...yet time and again I didn't have what I needed to work on the Harley. The axle bolt is 36mm..just a shade bigger than 1.25" so you can't use that 1.25" socket that you've had for 40 years...who has a 36mm socket/wrench in their tool kit? I have a big assortment of torx, but didn't have the size needed to remove the transmission dipstick....special/odd size nightmare to send the novices running to the dealer and the rest of us to Harbor Freight.

PSS. Harley threads for bolts are very weird, you'll see...hard to get started and easy to cross thread. There are 3 holes for oil changes, engine, primary, transmission...the threads leak oil, they add an o-ring to stop the leak..need to replace it every time. The size is #41 which is 9/16" OD by 7/16"ID by 1/16" thickness. 10 pack is cheap at a place like Home Depot...1 "genuine Harley" o-ring from the dealer is the same price as the 10 pack from Depot...oh, yeah, stay away from the dealer as much as possible....will rob you blind...but I'm sure you know that.

PSSS...LOL..omg...you're gonna love changing that oil filter..worst design I've ever seen. The last change, I was ready and 100% sure that, this time, it would be clean and fast...so confident in that, that I didn't put cardboard under the bike...I was not going to spill a drop of oil...I swore...well, when it was over, it looked like I set an M80 off in a pan of oil...just a terrible placement of that oil filter. Whole threads at Harley forums on "how do I" not make such a mess when changing the oil filter?"

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Nice, they are fun and feel/ride like nothing else...how does it sound? Like a Harley or a sewing machine?

Do you want the shop manual?

Put this item number in the search area at ebay; if this isn't the right shop manual, check the sellers other items...he sells tons of manuals and the price can't be beat.

LOL...you're in florida? Hot, right?...wait till you feel the heat that comes off that giant air cooled engine. My gosh, my bike cooks my legs and ace in temps over 80. Those air cooled bikes run best between 50 and 75 degrees. In the 80's and 90's, if it gets too hot with traffic, you'll know it. It will feel like you're in 3rd gear but should be in 2nd, then you'll shift down and the RPMs go to the moon and you're like WTH? Check the owners manual, my Harley needs straight SAE 60 for temps over 80 degrees.

Here's the oil recommends out of my manual:

10w40 for temps below 40 degrees

20w50 for temps above 40 degrees.

SAE 50 for temps above 60 degrees.

SAE 60 for temps above 80 degrees.

Crazy heavy oil recommends, isn't it? Imagine SAE 60 in a sport bike...bet the clutch locks up.

You probably know this, but I'll say it because I often see people that don't understand. A Harley engine is like a 1950's tractor...low RPM and lots of torque...7000rpm on any other bike and you're cranking out the horsepower...7000rpm on a Harley and your crankshaft in laying in the road along with an assortment on nuts, bolts and springs. At a Harley forum, guy was complaining about severe engine vibration with his brand new Harley...long story short, it was his first harley and he was riding it like a sport bike...taking the RPMs to the screaming territory before shifting...nope, can't do that with a Harley.

PS. Stock up on "special tools" and odd sized sockets and allen/torx wrenches...I have a tool collection spanning 40 years...yet time and again I didn't have what I needed to work on the Harley. The axle bolt is 36mm..just a shade bigger than 1.25" so you can't use that 1.25" socket that you've had for 40 years...who has a 36mm socket/wrench in their tool kit? I have a big assortment of torx, but didn't have the size needed to remove the transmission dipstick....special/odd size nightmare to send the novices running to the dealer and the rest of us to Harbor Freight.

PSS. Harley threads for bolts are very weird, you'll see...hard to get started and easy to cross thread. There are 3 holes for oil changes, engine, primary, transmission...the threads leak oil, they add an o-ring to stop the leak..need to replace it every time. The size is #41 which is 9/16" OD by 7/16"ID by 1/16" thickness. 10 pack is cheap at a place like Home Depot...1 "genuine Harley" o-ring from the dealer is the same price as the 10 pack from Depot...oh, yeah, stay away from the dealer as much as possible....will rob you blind...but I'm sure you know that.

PSSS...LOL..omg...you're gonna love changing that oil filter..worst design I've ever seen. The last change, I was ready and 100% sure that, this time, it would be clean and fast...so confident in that, that I didn't put cardboard under the bike...I was not going to spill a drop of oil...I swore...well, when it was over, it looked like I set an M80 off in a pan of oil...just a terrible placement of that oil filter. Whole threads at Harley forums on "how do I" not make such a mess when changing the oil filter?"
What year bike do you have? I road my 2009 Ultra with the same motor as this for 90,000 miles, used Synthetic 20/50 in all temps, in all three holes, and I live in Las Vegas. I never experienced any of the things you talked about, even when the ambient temps were into the 110's and the street temp at 120. The rear axle does take the 36mm, but I never needed any out of the ordinary tools to work on the bike, nor did I experience any odd threads on the fasteners etc. I did buy an oil filter wrench with a cut-out that helped with clearance. The three hole fluid change and clutch adjustment was clean and easy. The oil filter mess is easily avoided with some folded tin foil.

I agree with o-rings for the drain plugs, you can buy them in a number of places and not pay the HD premium. One thing I always did though was buy the HD oil filter. They have a drain-back valve and due to the the placement, some aftermarket filters are a wee bit longer and make changes difficult.

One point/word of caution: The Torx fasteners are often T27, not T25, and many Torx sets skip the T27. You'll assume it's a T25 and strip the head.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What year bike do you have? I road my 2009 Ultra with the same motor as this for 90,000 miles, used Synthetic 20/50 in all temps, in all three holes, and I live in Las Vegas. I never experienced any of the things you talked about, even when the ambient temps were into the 110's and the street temp at 120. The rear axle does take the 36mm, but I never needed any out of the ordinary tools to work on the bike, nor did I experience any odd threads on the fasteners etc. I did buy an oil filter wrench with a cut-out that helped with clearance. The three hole fluid change and clutch adjustment was clean and easy. The oil filter mess is easily avoided with some folded tin foil.

I agree with o-rings for the drain plugs, you can buy them in a number of places and not pay the HD premium. One thing I always did though was buy the HD oil filter. They have a drain-back valve and due to the the placement, some aftermarket filters are a wee bit longer and make changes difficult.

One point/word of caution: The Torx fasteners are often T27, not T25, and many Torx sets skip the T27. You'll assume it's a T25 and strip the head.

" I never needed any out of the ordinary tools to work on the bike"
You didn't have to buy the T27, the filter wrench, the O rings, the 36mm, the belt tension gauge, the shock adjustment tool, the special funnel to get the oil in the primary, etc...? First time Harley owners probably have to buy all those things.

Pretty amazing you don't experience heat/performance issues as they're built into the bikes computer.

When it gets hot, it gets funky and people notice it.

This site speaks of the issue for a 2007, but I have the same issues on my 2014 as well as other people I've talked with about it:

"In high temp mode the engine RPMs drops to 950 and the ECU goes to open loop mode, richening the fuel mixture to 12:1 in an attempt to cool the engine. As soon as the engine RPMs hits 1200, the ECU goes back to closed loop mode at 14.7:1 which is too lean. This means that the smallest amount of throttle will lean the engine out as long as the ECU is operating in "high heat" mode. If the bike tries to accelerate, the engine stumbles and the continuation of the lean AFR condition can drive engine temperature even higher."

2007 HD Engine High Heat Characteristics

Next time you change your oil filter, make a video...you have a secret I'd, and a million others, would love to see.

Edit> I don't live in the desert, around here, along with the high heat, comes tropical humidity...I wonder if the dry air works to your favor in that Vegas heat?

Also, what brand oil are you running?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
" I never needed any out of the ordinary tools to work on the bike"

You didn't have to buy the T27, the filter wrench, the O rings, the 36mm, the belt tension gauge, the shock adjustment tool, the special funnel to get the oil in the primary, etc...? First time Harley owners probably have to buy all those things.

Pretty amazing you don't experience heat/performance issues as they're built into the bikes computer.

When it gets hot, it gets funky and people notice it.

This site speaks of the issue for a 2007, but I have the same issues on my 2014 as well as other people I've talked with about it:

"In high temp mode the engine RPMs drops to 950 and the ECU goes to open loop mode, richening the fuel mixture to 12:1 in an attempt to cool the engine. As soon as the engine RPMs hits 1200, the ECU goes back to closed loop mode at 14.7:1 which is too lean. This means that the smallest amount of throttle will lean the engine out as long as the ECU is operating in "high heat" mode. If the bike tries to accelerate, the engine stumbles and the continuation of the lean AFR condition can drive engine temperature even higher."

2007 HD Engine High Heat Characteristics

Next time you change your oil filter, make a video...you have a secret I'd, and a million others, would love to see.

Edit> I don't live in the desert, around here, along with the high heat, comes tropical humidity...I wonder if the dry air works to your favor in that Vegas heat?

Also, what brand oil are you running?
*The T27 came in my Torx sets, cheaper sets often exclude that size.
*I did buy the filter wrench, you can do it with a general one but the HD version makes it easier
*O-rings are no different than crush washers on any bike or car when changing fluids
*The bike came with a great set of Snap-On tools, including the 36mm wrench
*I never purchased the belt tension tool. I didn't do my own rear wheel removal, so at each tire change (once per year) the belt was checked etc.
* I did buy the funnel for the primary oil, but for a long time I used a folded up piece of tin-foil
* For the oil filter, I folded up a long piece of Tim foil that guided the oil into a pan, I punctured the oil filter to drain it first. If you put the foil under the filter, the oil drains into it and into the pan. I got this off the HD forum
* I usually ran Mobile One synth 20/50. Sometimes Valvoline if the Mobile One was out.
* I didn't mean to say that I never felt any heat from my bike. The bike would turn on the rear cyl cut off, but I never had any issue with rideability or stumble. It's possible your '14 is different than my '09 96 cu in.

The low single digit humidity here must have an effect on overall performance. I ride all over the West, but it's all fairly low humidity, nothing like Florida.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I appreciate all the info & tips. Since I'm new to Harleys, I can use all the info that I can get. I do have a pretty good tool collection that also spans many years, (nothing like having the right tools). Some of the first things that I noticed, one being that the exhaust had been changed out to a two into one BUB 7 exhaust, its loud, obnoxiously loud, louder than I want, so that will probably be one of the first things that I change. It also has a really nice looking Vance & Hines VO2 Air Intake with Drak Cover, quick release windshield, sissy bar with luggage rack and a custom tach gauge. I will see what else that I can find that's not stock. It was just delivered an hour ago, so now I'm going to check all fluids, take it out for a spin and then spit & shine it when I get back. Thanks again for all the info, feel free to keep it coming too.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,503 Posts
Check with bub and see if they have a quieter set of baffles for you pipes. The two into one gives you the best torque. Take a ride across the state and visit with Eye. He can give you a lot of insight. Or you can pm me your email and I will pass it on to him.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
:surprise:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check with bub and see if they have a quieter set of baffles for you pipes. The two into one gives you the best torque. Take a ride across the state and visit with Eye. He can give you a lot of insight. Or you can pm me your email and I will pass it on to him.
I've already been to their site and they do have baffles, I'll just need to call and then order. I wouldn't mind visiting Eye. If I recall correctly, He's up there near Daytona, I'll pm you. He hasn't been around here in some time now, I miss him here, he had great humor and was always good for a chuckle, very knowledgeable too.

Just finished a pretty decent ride today and was caught in the rain on the way back, its rained here every day for the last two weeks. I gave it the works, here it is all cleaned up. Sorry about the darkness of the photos, its still very wet and overcast outside.

Reactions: BWB75 and Porky

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
So what do you think? Pretty bike, BTW!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Of course this is none of our business, and if you don't want to share it's perfectly understandable, but would you mind telling us the price of the bike? You mentioned it was a great deal. I've been keeping an eye out but pricing on these out here in the Southwest seems a bit high..or maybe I'm out of touch.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what do you think? Pretty bike, BTW!
Thanks, I really like it. Comparing it to my Moto Guzzi which is also a 90 degree V twin, but transverse mounted. The Guzzi is a shaker, the Harley shakes more. The Guzzi red lines at 8000 rpm and its an 8 valve motor, the Harley red lines at 5500 rpm. Both have massive torque. The Harley has 10 more LBS of Torque than the Guzzi, I haven't been able to find HP ratings on the Harley's Twin Cam 96 motor anywhere, but the Griso has a 110 HP rating and its a 175 lbs lighter than the Harley. The Griso is faster, but the Harley is no slouch, especially considering it weighs 670 lbs. The ride was much more comfortable on the Harley with mid controls. The Guzzi Griso has higher more rearward foot controls (European roadster style and its tough on the knees after a while in the saddle). Harley ergonomics much better with a more upright sitting position compared to the Griso's more forward lean position. Seat comfort also goes to the Harley. All in all I love the thing, but I tend to love anything with two wheels and a motor.

Of course this is none of our business, and if you don't want to share it's perfectly understandable, but would you mind telling us the price of the bike? You mentioned it was a great deal. I've been keeping an eye out but pricing on these out here in the Southwest seems a bit high..or maybe I'm out of touch.
Their advertised price was $6000 (5999), I got it for $4999. The out the door price with TTT was $5765. I think they were willing to let it go at my cash offer price because they were a powersports dealer, stuck with a Harley in their inventory. It probably also helped that I was a repeat customer, I purchased the Versys from them earlier this year.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks, I really like it. Comparing it to my Moto Guzzi which is also a 90 degree V twin, but transverse mounted. The Guzzi is a shaker, the Harley shakes more. The Guzzi red lines at 8000 rpm and its an 8 valve motor, the Harley red lines at 5500 rpm. Both have massive torque. The Harley has 10 more LBS of Torque than the Guzzi, I haven't been able to find HP ratings on the Harley's Twin Cam 96 motor anywhere, but the Griso has a 110 HP rating and its a 175 lbs lighter than the Harley. The Griso is faster, but the Harley is no slouch, especially considering it weighs 670 lbs. The ride was much more comfortable on the Harley with mid controls. The Guzzi Griso has higher more rearward foot controls (European roadster style and its tough on the knees after a while in the saddle). Harley ergonomics much better with a more upright sitting position compared to the Griso's more forward lean position. Seat comfort also goes to the Harley. All in all I love the thing, but I tend to love anything with two wheels and a motor.

Their advertised price was $6000 (5999), I got it for $4999. The out the door price with TTT was $5765. I think they were willing to let it go at my cash offer price because they were a powersports dealer, stuck with a Harley in their inventory. It probably also helped that I was a repeat customer, I purchased the Versys from them earlier this year.
Thanks. That's a good price. You got a good deal, on a really nice bike.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Although I have got where I can ride a couple hundred miles on my seat, I wondered what it would look like with a seat like yours, now I got a pretty good idea! I like it. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts