Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 125, I was riding along a dual carriageway doing 75mph and all of a sudden my bike decided to drop speed. I dropped down a gear and made it to somewhere safe to stop, after the jolt my bike started randomly ticking, I got home at low speed with this ticking. I checked my oil levels and they were low. So I refilled the oil the ticking persisted and is more persistent when revving the bike. I was riding at about 10,000rpm in 5th gear when my bike jolted and the ticking began. It's loud and sounds like metal clashing off of metal and instantly jolted and speed decreased. What could be the issue?

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Start with the valves. Overhead CAM (most are)? Check the cam chain tension. If you use a mechanic's stethoscope, or a long screwdriver against your ear, you can zero in on the loudest source of the noise, and from that, try to guess what is making it.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Ticking sound is OFTEN a spark plug wire that has broken down or come loose and is arc'ing to nearby metal.

Loss of power would go right along with that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
have a gander in the dark to see if if the spark plug leads are arcing as wandenelson said and i thought the same with the loss of power

1 - 4 of 4 Posts