Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a weird one this morning, and it got me thinking about all the odd behavior that cage drivers exhibit around motorcycles, I guess we upset them somehow, and they either get timid, or aggressive, or just plain weird, when all they need to do is just drive normally.

First this morning's road story;
I was cruising down the Interstate around 4:40 this morning on the way to work, it's 65 mph 4 lanes at that point, I was in the center right going 70. Right and left lanes are empty, center left has a car slowly overtaking me, going maybe 73 he's been in that lane a while and slowly closing, so steady I assume he was on cruise control. I'm expecting a no issues pass, but no... 30 feet behind me, he signals right, crosses behind me into the right lane, accelerates HARD past me, signals left, crosses 50 feet in front of me, and settles back in the center left lane going 73 again. WTF?

This driver didn't bother me or get in my way, I took no action other than watch closely and shake my head, but I can't imagine WHY he did that? I wonder if they pass cars the same way?

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
He was probably texting an just caught something near his front end and went around. Probably didn't even notice there was no one in his lane. Just you in the next but he panicked. Texters do some of the weirdest things!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Maybe he needed to get to the shoulder for some urgent reason (like he dropped his precious phone between the seat and console), then changed his mind (i.e. he was able to fish it out).

There ya go, mystery solved. :icon_cool:

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Don't tell cagers to drive normally around bikes........that means trailing at .5 sec

When a car comes up behind you, obviously wanting to go faster than you, you get to a passing zone, pull over to the right and slow down, what do they do?.........sit back there, you have to point to the dashed lines on the road before they realize they are in a passing zone. Same thing happens when I come to a passing lane, pull into the right lane and they almost always pull in right behind me.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
People have been trained to get in line and follow. We no longer teach people to think and be independent.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Don't tell cagers to drive normally around bikes........that means trailing at .5 sec

When a car comes up behind you, obviously wanting to go faster than you, you get to a passing zone, pull over to the right and slow down, what do they do?.........sit back there, you have to point to the dashed lines on the road before they realize they are in a passing zone. Same thing happens when I come to a passing lane, pull into the right lane and they almost always pull in right behind me.
anybike... you hit the nail on the head. This has happened to me more often than I can recount and it drives me crazy! Just recently a lady stayed right on my butt for ten miles, even when I slowed in safe passing areas. I finally pulled onto the shoulder at a stop sign and waved her around and she hesitated like she was afraid to be in front of me. :rolleyes:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Oh that was bad. I got it though.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts