Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have recently bought a Honda CBR 600 F4 PC35 1999. It's a great bike but I have noticed one thing. When you accelerate to the red line you usually hear this characteristic exhaust sound.

My bike sound's like this:

(it's not my bike).

I'm not sure if it's normal, but shouldn't it sound like this?

It's not my bike either, but I do have a gianelli exhaust and it sounds like the one from the first link. I do have to sync carbs and adjust valve clearance, but I'm not sure that's the problem.

I hope I'm clear - I'm not a native speaker.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
welcome to the forum rogigor.
Both of those videos sound just fine. The difference in the pipes and the way the second person closed the throttle so quickly would account for the sound differences.

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
Noise

Would be different if the engine was taken to red line, and left there for a while. But the engine is not under load, so the sound you hear going ringy dingy in neutral is not the true sound.
The spark may also start to retard at red line, causing the engine to run crappy, if you go just beyond that point. Honda is telling you to grab a higher gear.
If you are going beyond red line in top gear, I will assume 6th, then raise the overall gear ratio.

When tuning a chain saw, you go WOT, wide open throttle, and adjust the hi speed jet for maximum revs and crispness. Then back off the adjusting screw to richen it, which also makes the engine sound a bit crappy. But if you do not richen it at WOT, you will have no cutting power.

Long post to say, what it sounds like in neutral does not matter.
What it runs like at WOT in top gear is what matters.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have done a lot of reasearch in the meantime. Maybe I was not fully clear - I was wondering why my bike does not produce this characteristic sound when revving to the redline. Turns out it's typical for all CBR f4 (not F4i) models. I mean you can hear the sound but it's not as loud as it is in other models.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Are you talking about the whiny sound versus a nice rumble? Your examples both sound the same to me so I guess I'm not getting it. One just has a better exhaust set up maybe but they both sound whiny and they are just that way as far as I know. I only have one functioning ear but I don't really see a difference between the two.:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts