Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was COLD this morning at 30 degrees and 25 windchill factor but the light snow that was in the forecast, turned out to be like 1/8 of an inch:)

So I though that now is a good time to drive due south 70 miles into Arkansas to maybe test drive the 2020 Indian Springfield's and the new Challenger! Right before I left though, I decided to call the salesman I know at the dealership, Heritage Indian and tell him I'm on my way:) I feel a pause and then he says that it's not a good idea today as it's snowing fairly hard down there:(

It seems like every time I can take off work to shop Motorcycle's, the weather SUCKS!!!!

I've got an appointment for this coming Saturday morning when it's supposed to be 65 degrees---Yeah right:)

All of our tree's in the area are budding and the winter wheat is a foot high so spring can't be too far off!

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts
The weather gods and just making you wait until that perfect day. It was just too darn cold to get out there and enjoy what these touring bikes have to offer. If I didn't have a gem of a bike, I can almost guarantee I'd be test riding that Challenger. But I'm not taking the bait. They named that for a reason and I'm just going to fall for it. I know what happen when I went to the Indian dealer with a complete open mind the last time. Nope, ain't gonna fall for it a second time. Nope nope nope. But I really do want to take a test ride. I can't afford yet another bike though as I know darn good and well that Challenger will get me thinking. Nope, not gonna do it. If I say enough maybe.........

·
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like the only way I'm going to be able to sell my Scout is to trade it in for another Indian Larry, with customer loyalty incentives and sales discounts and a $750 Indian Gift card thrown in, it is an attractive incentive to trade up:)

Both Indian and Harley will give me almost as much as I paid for the bike!

Decisions-decisions:)

Sam

·
Visionary
3,151 Posts
I've sat on a challenger 3 times but have resisted test riding it even though they offered... I'm afraid of the possible outcome..it sure feels nice, and I was talking to 2 folks who bought them, and they sure seem happy.

One minor glitch, if you ride in the heavy rain the instruments fill up with water, not the inside, the outside, the bezels are tilted down and trap enough water that you can't read the gauges. It doesn't hurt anything but it doesn't drain till you use a rag or take the bezel off to remove the water.
Drilling a couple of drain holes or slots is the fix..but don't they test these things on anything other than a sunny day before they sell them?

The weather gods and just making you wait until that perfect day. It was just too darn cold to get out there and enjoy what these touring bikes have to offer. If I didn't have a gem of a bike, I can almost guarantee I'd be test riding that Challenger. But I'm not taking the bait. They named that for a reason and I'm just going to fall for it. I know what happen when I went to the Indian dealer with a complete open mind the last time. Nope, ain't gonna fall for it a second time. Nope nope nope. But I really do want to take a test ride. I can't afford yet another bike though as I know darn good and well that Challenger will get me thinking. Nope, not gonna do it. If I say enough maybe.........

·
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always over wax my instruments and do so quite frequently. Handlebar switches need to be covered in heavy rain also or at least when the bike is being washed. Real leather seats, saddle bags and all of the other foolish leather stuff that Indian and Harley markets, can take a real beating if not taken care of religiously. I know, I own a leather store:)

The Challenger may be high tech and a powerful new weapon in Indian's arsenal but to me it has lost its 'Nostalgic' and historical looks and just reminds me of any Victory touring bike on the road. Now the other big twins 'look the look.' and walk the walk of a beautiful example of the past blending with the future.

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts
I think they were targeting the HD Road Glide market with the Challenger. They might get a few Goldwingers as well but I don't think they were the target. And yes, the Challenger is a step away from the past and a look to the future I think. You can't stay back there for ever. They have to see what the future of Indian is going to be. It's a baby step and might be okay. Time will tell.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,034 Posts
Okay you made me go look as I was thinking the Dodge Challenger.

·
On The Road Again!
2,868 Posts
Hmm....Nice looking bike for the most part, but somehow the fairing looks too bulbous and out of place.
But what really grabs me is the seat. The driver's portion looks good, but the passenger section looks like it is tilted slightly rearward. Yeah, that'll work, hit the throttle and goodbye passenger!

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
The front fairing looks like a great white shark. You could do wonders with some graphics.
The seat is low, and the faring is high, I might need to stand up to see.

UK

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Well, it made it to 65 today. I couldn't sit in the house and look at all that sunshine without getting in it. So I got the Yamaha out and took a short little ride of about 75 miles. (Don't tell my eye doctor, he wanted me to wait a couple more days.) 😁

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
Sunshine and warming here. Have been riding the 400 all winter, except when I did not. Today I renewed the collector plate which can go on Yami with the side car Inder, or Noddy the Triumph, or Laramie the mint XS1100.

UK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts