Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and have been lurking the site for sometime now. After visiting this site I have noticed that most of you wear helmets, some full-faced, some skull cap types. I recently sold my bike before the winter to dwell on what kind of bike to get next, but I always wore a full-faced helmet while riding my 2008 Kawasaki zx6, because it offered next to nothing for a windscreen.

My question is for you is that you can post down below, "What kind of helmet do you use and what type of bike do you ride?"

I also made a survey at SurveyMonkey to find out more information on the subject. It's only 6 questions, so it should only take a minute or two to fill out. Thanks in advance, and I will be sharing my survey results in this post when I hit my quota of 50.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QF5JKVF

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I wear a half helmet with a shorty shield right now, but I am looking for a full faced helmet. I just haven't found one yet that seems to fit my style. Half helmet has its advantages, but it also has many disadvantages too. The bad azzed butterfly who committed suicide on my face tonight went out of this world giving me a one two punch in the face and leaving a big red mark. I ride a Suzuki S40 650.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here in Wisconsin we get some very large 'June Bugs,' and at 65mph can be extremely painful to be hit in the face with. Could even cause a crash if distracted enough by it. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I ride a Suzuki SV650 and wear a full face. Not only do l feel safe, but l also like the warmth that a full helmets provides whern it is cold out...l live in Seattle, which is chilly and wet, even when it isn't raining

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I ride a Yamaha Road Star 1700, and since I have a windshield I don't worry much about bugs (besides, protein is protein ;)) and I wear a half helmet

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a ton for the responses. I want to post this in a more populated area of the forum. Where would be the best place that wouldn't break any rules?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You could try general discussions, off topic, helmet, but you are likely to encounter us again. When I log on, I click the new posts at the top of the page and it shows posts from all the areas so no matter where you post, I'll see it if I'm interested in it.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I usually wear a half helmet with sunglasses. I ride a touring bike with a windshield, or a hot rod without one.

I've been hit with bugs and stuff that have left marks but that's just a part of riding. One of the worst times was when a big ole fat bug hit the corner of my mouth and about half of him splattered all over the inside of my mouth. Gag city. The other was when a huge prairie grasshopper or something hit my glasses and there was so much bug goo I couldn't see out of one side at all and the other side was almost covered too. I had to stop and clean my glasses. Yuck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I ride a Star Raider cruiser, and have a 1/2 helmet as well as a modular helmet.

If the weather's nice I'll always use the 1/2, otherwise the modular helmet has better weather protection. I know modulars don't provide the same accident protection a fullface one would, but I'm sure it's going to help in a crash better than the 1/2

What's the point of the survey? You should buy whatever helmet YOU want to wear. Or do like I did and buy a couple different ones

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The survey is to find out who wears a helmet and your view on helmets laws. I'm asking the question in this forum to see who on what type of bike wears what type of helmet.

So far people with windscreens usually opt in for the 1/2 helmet. Then you got people like @eye m no angel and Goliath who don't mind eating a bug or two, which is interesting to me.

I only need a few more survey takers. I'm compiling data for a helmet safety proposal to try and show people the dangers of not wearing a helmet. The survey is only one part of it.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I ride a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 700 and have put a wind shield and hard saddle bags on it. When it's cooler or might rain I wear a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield. When it's warmer I wear a 1/2 helmet with flip down sun shades.

I also ride on the back of a Victory Vision when we tour. When we go on a trip, I wear the 3/4. If I get too hot I pop out the ear pads so the breeze can help cool me down.

I completed your survey.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I usually wear a half helmet with sunglasses. I ride a touring bike with a windshield, or a hot rod without one.

I've been hit with bugs and stuff that have left marks but that's just a part of riding. One of the worst times was when a big ole fat bug hit the corner of my mouth and about half of him splattered all over the inside of my mouth. Gag city. The other was when a huge prairie grasshopper or something hit my glasses and there was so much bug goo I couldn't see out of one side at all and the other side was almost covered too. I had to stop and clean my glasses. Yuck.
I have been pretty lucky and not eaten too much big stuff, but l haven't ridden a lot outside of the city. Back in the day, however, my brother-in-law came across a handful of songbirds and one of them ended up hitting him square in the face and got itself lodged in the tiny little crack he had left open on his visor. He said it was all he could do to pull over safely, aand the way he told it, l kept getting this vision of him grabbing the bird but coming up with nothing but feathers every time :)

·
Nightfly
4,029 Posts
To be honest, most of the people l regularly see on this forum have commented
I have to echo what Eye said. Those of us who choose not to wear a helmet know full well the danger. As someone who values choice over government regulation, I can't help but think you would approve of a 50 state federal mandate that would take the choice away from many riders.

The government disapproves of cigarettes yet taxes the hell out of them. So it's not about the governments concern for our health, it's about the money they make by taxing cigarettes, taxing anything that moves. Perhaps a tax on helmet-less riders would allay your fears.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I wear a full face and gave up using my modular simply because it made me (and my loved ones) more comfortable. It is difficult when wearing glasses.

I ride a BMW F800ST. I do not like windscreen if it is above 55 degrees F, so I have the small screen on the bike at present.
When I rode the Sportster 48, I rarely used a screen.

Needless to say, I have had quite a few bug splats on my helmet. I prefer not to eat them. I get plenty of protein with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
:biggrin:

C

·
0 Posts
I usually wear an open face helmet and sometimes wear a full face when its cold out. Every once in a while though, I don't wear one at all because it is a choice in our state. And yes, I am fully aware of the dangers not wearing a helmet which is why I wear one most of the time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts