Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
so i own an ktm enduro 690 , year : 2008 .
around a half a year ago i had done work on engine , with included camshaft , crankshaft , cluch and few more parts . well recently i have done regular maintenance work on the bike and have notice a kind amount of metal wear on the drain oil plug , well i have decided to changed the oil and run a 1k k/m more and then perform the maintenance again with oil filter filter's change , o-ring changes , air filter changes . when i have opened again there were again a noticeable kind of wear . as i have not pictured it , i will include an image with similar wear amount of kind .

it the first maintenance work that i have been doing or watching closely on it , so don't exactly know what was before that (relied on service ) .
please help me to understand , how bad that is ? what should i expect ( i mean with of the parts can make that kind of metal pieces wear ) .

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello,
so i own an ktm enduro 690 , year : 2008 .
around a half a year ago i had done work on engine , with included camshaft , crankshaft , cluch and few more parts . well recently i have done regular maintenance work on the bike and have notice a kind amount of metal wear on the drain oil plug , well i have decided to changed the oil and run a 1k k/m more and then perform the maintenance again with oil filter filter's change , o-ring changes , air filter changes . when i have opened again there were again a noticeable kind of wear . as i have not pictured it , i will include an image with similar wear amount of kind .

it the first maintenance work that i have been doing or watching closely on it , so don't exactly know what was before that (relied on service ) .
please help me to understand , how bad that is ? what should i expect ( i mean with of the parts can make that kind of metal pieces wear ) .
(also have to mention that by meaning similar amount , i mean provisionally as my oil drain plug much less wide than this ) .

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Wow.
Sorry that seems like a lot to me personally. I have used magnetic plugs on known failing engines and not seen that kind of particulate accumulation. My thoughts would be (those who know me I am a fan of this as of recently) do a compression test, and see where you are at, those don't look like particulates from bearings to me. Have you talked to the person who done the build for you? When the work was done was the motor properly broke in? Also might consider dropping the oil pan and cleaning it out real good. It is possible to be from the said break in and just sitting in the pan, possibly. Other than that I really don't have much to offer you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow.
Sorry that seems like a lot to me personally. I have used magnetic plugs on known failing engines and not seen that kind of particulate accumulation. My thoughts would be (those who know me I am a fan of this as of recently) do a compression test, and see where you are at, those don't look like particulates from bearings to me. Have you talked to the person who done the build for you? When the work was done was the motor properly broke in? Also might consider dropping the oil pan and cleaning it out real good. It is possible to be from the said break in and just sitting in the pan, possibly. Other than that I really don't have much to offer you.
Thank you ,
i will go to the engine building bike and will search for details . in parallel checking regarding oil pan

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
all in one
When you have all in one there will be more debris on a magnetic drain plug than if you have separate oils. The reason is that gears and chains will wear more than engine bearings. (Which is why I'm not a fan of one oil for all. That's a lot more abrasive material circulating through close tolerance bearings.)

What you're showing is your drain plug after 1000km? That doesn't look good, but since your bikes uses one oil, it will look worse than if you had separate oils. As others have mentioned, a lot depends on how the engine was broken in after the work you had done. I would be concerned, but I wouldn't panic.

Change the oil and filter, ride it carefully for another 1000km, and check it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you have all in one there will be more debris on a magnetic drain plug than if you have separate oils. The reason is that gears and chains will wear more than engine bearings. (Which is why I'm not a fan of one oil for all. That's a lot more abrasive material circulating through close tolerance bearings.)

What you're showing is your drain plug after 1000km? That doesn't look good, but since your bikes uses one oil, it will look worse than if you had separate oils. As others have mentioned, a lot depends on how the engine was broken in after the work you had done. I would be concerned, but I wouldn't panic.

Change the oil and filter, ride it carefully for another 1000km, and check it again.
well thank you for the detailed pointed . the plug is not main the picture is from an internet as i have not pictured it, my plug much smaller then that one but the proportion between my plug and this plug and metal material pieces somewhat similar as well as the type of the shaves . as i saw other types of metal material stuff that may show up . so wanted to know more data on what indication i should have base on type of pieces and amount .

i think i will change map to a more softer one and run 5k more at calm condition want to see if there are any change . as you said it all in one .

i want to exclude the option it being performed by my style of riding , typically wheelies time to time with a regular speed of 135¬140 km/h. ( and adding to it my weekend dirt rides )
maybe i do put on a single engine too much load .

let me know if you think differently and have arguments .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts