Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me.
My KLX150 has a very weak spark and very hard starting (Kick starting)

This problem started when I pressed the electric start button 3 times consecutively. after that, the electric starter fails to start the engine(Starter motor is not energized but there is 12V+ on the starter motor terminal) so i tried to kick start it take more than 8 times of maximum effort to start the engine every time, but before that my KLX has excellent running condition.

Things i already checked:
  • check the spark plug, high tension wire and SP cup - no problem
  • Pull out my ignition coil and CDI and installed on my friend KLX - CDI and Ignition coil working fine on his bike.
  • Pull out the ignition coil and cdi of my friend klx and installed on my klx - still very very very weak spark.
  • check the rectifier/regulator based on resistance reading method stated on KLX service manual. - resistance reading is within the specs range. Voltage on battery during charging is ok.
  • Inspect the stator coil - visually no burnt coil or any physical damage. taking resistance reading based on service manual and the actual reading is within the range of the specification stated on the service manual.
  • check continuity of connecting wires and the wiring harness and in handle switches - all seems fine.
Symptoms:
  • While the motorcycle running the engine misfired and stall alot especially in low RPM and eventually the engine die sometimes. but in high speed the engine running fine. I already increased the idle and starting with full choke.
  • Very weak ignition and hard kick starting.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Battery? Maybe it's not taking a full charge? After you get it started, and warmed up, does it start easier, or is it the same?
Not being familiar with that particular bike, does it have a resistor spark plug wire?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery? Maybe it's not taking a full charge? After you get it started, and warmed up, does it start easier, or is it the same?
Not being familiar with that particular bike, does it have a resistor spark plug wire?
I think the battery is fine. every time i check the battery i got 12V+. and during idling i check also the incoming voltage from rectifier/regulator to the battery i got 14V+ if i increase the rpm i got 14.7V max.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I think the battery is fine. every time i check the battery i got 12V+. and during idling i check also the incoming voltage from rectifier/regulator to the battery i got 14V+ if i increase the rpm i got 14.7V max.
Can't help with the poor low speed running unless it is voltage related. But at 12v on the battery, that's not good. You are doing fine with 14v to 14.7v so your battery should be at least 13v. 12v is a bad battery, most likely with a dead cell and therefore not taking a full charge. Remove the battery and take it to an auto parts store and ask them to load check it. After they tell you what I have, purchase a new battery and bring it up to full charge before installing it in the bike. Then report back. Just for your information, a fully charged battery should read 13v to 13.5v, not 12v. 12v is a shot battery.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Wot HC said above.
12 volt batteries are not exactly 12 volts. They are half flat at 12.25 volts. They are fully charged at 12.75 volts. Some batteries read a bit more, or less.

UK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.