Motorcycle Forum banner

We lost another rider (from the world, not the forum)

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Klrlindy63 
#1 ·
On Tuesday I was riding through town and happened upon a guy on a black GSXR with a white helmet and red shoes. As normally happens when two sportbike riders meet, we had a bit of fun. When I got to where I was going, we waved goodbye and went our separate ways.

About 5 hours later, I was headed home and rode up on a bunch of police cars, fire trucks and a couple ambulances. I watched them load a black GSXR on to the back of a flatbed tow truck. As I got closer, I saw a pair of red shoes scattered on the road and I saw the paramedics load someone into the ambulance with a white helmet on. According to a news article this morning, he was hit by an SUV turning left who didn't see him. He didn't make it...

#5 ·
true. sorry buddy.

I walked into the local MC store the other day. There were about 8-10 sports bikes parked outside. I remember thinking as I went past them .. odds are that they wont all be here by the end of the year. I know that does sound harsh ... but its the way that the odds work out. Just like with your friend.
The only thing you can do - is take this as a LESSON and step up your own training and skill level. I've been doing the same thing this past week.

cheers,
dT

#9 ·
The only thing you can do - is take this as a LESSON and step up your own training and skill level. I've been doing the same thing this past week.

cheers,
dT
Very true. I've had closer calls this year than any other year riding EVER. IN one of those encounters, the guy pulled out in front of me so close that my right mirror scraped along the side of his SUV. It was only training, skill, and the muscle memory that comes from the two, that saved me there.

#10 ·
Prayers for you and his family. It's good to know he had some joy on his last day in this world.

We tell our kids that if anything happens to us while we are on our bikes to remember that we were doing something we really enjoyed and were happy at our final moment. In my opinion you can't ask for much more.

#11 ·
"the guy pulled out in front of me so close that my right mirror scraped along the side of his SUV"

any time we have a seriously close scrape like that ... or someone puts their bike down ... we "stand down" for a short period of time and re-evaluate. Im definitely NOT saying you did anything wrong ... sounds like you made all the right moves. But that was very close. Its worthwhile to stop, evaluate what happened, and really ask yourself what other drivers are doing. Maybe some sort of change in riding habits ... might improve safety in the future.

It's not a put-down on the rider.
Just a recognition that the "street game" out there is constantly changing.
so we have to evolve as well.

ADAPT AND SURVIVE!!!

cheers,
dT

#14 ·
The left hand turner's scare me. Was almost wiped out by a kid in a lowered Nissan with the fart can stickin out the back, he turned left right in front of me. Not sure how I stayed on the bike, but after a long skid (both wheels) I found myself facing the opposite direction. Had a few words with the young man, at which he confessed he just didnt see me. My guess is that with the early morning sun and me riding a straight line at him, that I just blended into the back ground. I now move around in my lane when I have an approaching left turner. (I think Capt Crash has a video on this, or the English guy does, dont remember his name)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.