Motorcycle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Administrator
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I notice almost if not all you solutions to problems are for those using computers or laptops.
This is true, I like to wager that a majority of mobile use is a secondary viewing, but we can absolutely update the tips to also include mobile users so to not leave them out. Though most of the useability remains the same, hovering the cursor may be the only change, but that functionality usually can be replaced by tapping that location in stead.

So tell me administrators, does everyone that does this new ‘FOLLOW’ thing automatically get access to everything I post? Or anyone else for that matter. Just wondering where privacy enters or if it does.
The best way to think of the follow option is like a subscription, you can use to help filter out content and see when more content is added to the sections. This doesn't grant you an instant stream of showcasing only content you follow, but it does help you find the content you want to follow when you're looking for it. Let me know if you want to explain this further.

I'd like the History button when viewing a post to not only show the versions as they are or were but also highlight the differences.
How would you want to display the difference? Sometimes whole sections can be edited and just showing the removed words may be easy enough to implement, but more complex changes would be harder to parse. I'd be open to seeing what this looks like to you, so I can best make this recommendation to the tech team for development.

Gerrit.

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
This is true, I like to wager that a majority of mobile use is a secondary viewing, but we can absolutely update the tips to also include mobile users so to not leave them out. Though most of the useability remains the same, hovering the cursor may be the only change, but that functionality usually can be replaced by tapping that location in stead.

The best way to think of the follow option is like a subscription, you can use to help filter out content and see when more content is added to the sections. This doesn't grant you an instant stream of showcasing only content you follow, but it does help you find the content you want to follow when you're looking for it. Let me know if you want to explain this further.

How would you want to display the difference? Sometimes whole sections can be edited and just showing the removed words may be easy enough to implement, but more complex changes would be harder to parse. I'd be open to seeing what this looks like to you, so I can best make this recommendation to the tech team for development.

Gerrit.
I'm sure my way is too simple but can you just place the two together like is happening now but put the changed words in bold or in some color, red or yellow maybe. If there is a third edit and fourth, yes, I've done it already, just keep changing the color of the words that change for each iteration. When I was still working in software we called that SMOP. Taking bets you know what that still means today. It's never as easy as the end user sees it.

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
Do you also want WISH LIST items here as well? If so the...

Wish List Items

1. I'd like the History button when viewing a post to not only show the versions as they are or were but also highlight the differences.
Item #2
  • I'd like to know exactly which forum I'm about to post something in all the times. It takes time to compose so posts and I get called away too. So when I'm about to hit the send button, I'd like to confirm I'm about to post in the forum and thread I was composing the post for, in the first place. Just to double check or possibly copy/cut and move to a different forum/thread. Y'all may not care where stuff goes but I do and I think a few other members might like that too. It even looks like you have been working on getting that to work as there was nothing a few days ago.
Example follows...

Item #3
  • Remove or move the search box so the information below isn't covered partially by the boxed area. Or possibly change the opacity of the box.
Example...

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
Item #2
  • I'd like to know exactly which forum I'm about to post something in all the times. It takes time to compose so posts and I get called away too. So when I'm about to hit the send button, I'd like to confirm I'm about to post in the forum and thread I was composing the post for, in the first place. Just to double check or possibly copy/cut and move to a different forum/thread. Y'all may not care where stuff goes but I do and I think a few other members might like that too. It even looks like you have been working on getting that to work as there was nothing a few days ago.
Example follows...

Item #3
  • Remove or move the search box so the information below isn't covered partially by the boxed area. Or possibly change the opacity of the box.
Example...

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
Item #3

Allow .gif files to function as intended by design. Not function while in edit mode only. It's rather worthless if you have to ask the members to look at each post in edit mode so they get the full experience and impact intended of their usage.

Example of a .gif file in a post where they don't work unless in edit mode. Added as a photo would normally be added using the Insert Image button...

Now go to Reply with Quote or similar functions of edit and it will work as intended. Worthless like this.

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
Item 2 has been resolved by the administrators and item 3 resolved by removal of an extension to block ad tracking I had running. Why that one was affecting the screen makes no sense but those two items are fixed to my satisfaction. So anyone with an extension or plugin called AdNauseam, I suggest you disable it or remove it entirely.

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
This happens in certain situations dependant on the browser, add ons or plug ins you have. Please let me know if you have anything that would be blocking scripts or affecting ads, these tend to be the main culprits.

-Gerrit
I'm pretty darn sure I found MY culprit Gerrit. I posted that possibility in one of the other threads. I apologized a well but missed this one. It looks like AdNauseam. Was stomping on things. Makes no sense to me because is supposed to stop tracking, not change screens. But I've removed it and warned others about possibly it causing problems for them as well and suggest it be removed. Again, sorry about that. Too many changes and all was well in the other format so never gave it a thought that something on my end was affecting this new format. I hope stuff like this isn't pushing folks over the edge and not giving this a chance until we are all on the same page again.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
An issue I have, is the previous forum had a mark by threads that one had contributed to; now I don't see any indication that I have added to a thread. Am I just missing it?

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
An issue I have, is the previous forum had a mark by threads that one had contributed to; now I don't see any indication that I have added to a thread. Am I just missing it?
I know what you are talking about. I control my own colors so mine changes if I've looked at the post but I too don't get the change I used to get if I actually posted to the thread. I miss it too. I have to turn my controls off all the time to confirm things that are possibly missing and this is one of them. Would be very much appreciated if you can implement this again admins.

·
American Legion Rider
18,097 Posts
Item #3

Allow .gif files to function as intended by design. Not function while in edit mode only. It's rather worthless if you have to ask the members to look at each post in edit mode so they get the full experience and impact intended of their usage.

Example of a .gif file in a post where they don't work unless in edit mode. Added as a photo would normally be added using the Insert Image button...

Now go to Reply with Quote or similar functions of edit and it will work as intended. Worthless like this.
Here in the following is an example of why allowing .gif files to function when in read mode is very much needed. This is an animation to show function that helps explain something to a members problems. A case where a picture is worth a thousand words. Or in this case, a moving picture.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think this is how it works. Click your avatar in the upper right corner (the one next to the hamburger button {sorry couldn't resist}), then click "following". It will take you to a page showing all the threads you are subscribed to. And the ones that have new content since the last time you viewed will show up brighter.
= 3 dots

·
Administrator
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

Depending on your preference settings, this can be accomplished.

Step One: Check your preference settings by clicking on your account settings under your avatar near the upper right hand side of the community.

That will bring you to a new page with some left-side navigation. Select preferences.

Step 2: Make sure you have a checkmark in "Automatically watch content you interact with" and then click save.

Step 3: Now when you check popular or new posts you will see an "eye" under the title area.

It will also show on the thread list within a forum section.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

You can also try the following.

How To Find Subscribed Threads
Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
While that is one way, that is not what I want. I don't want to subscribe to threads, then view a separate list of those. Then I open a subforum, and see the list of threads, I want to know if I contributed to any of the newly updated threads, which may be old enough I don't recall them by title. This is the way the old format worked, and I liked it, as I could go directly to one of those threads from the list, without creating dozens of subscriptions that I may never review, i.e., threads that I have decided to abandon for whatever reason.

·
Administrator
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
While that is one way, that is not what I want. I don't want to subscribe to threads, then view a separate list of those. Then I open a subforum, and see the list of threads, I want to know if I contributed to any of the newly updated threads, which may be old enough I don't recall them by title. This is the way the old format worked, and I liked it, as I could go directly to one of those threads from the list, without creating dozens of subscriptions that I may never review, i.e., threads that I have decided to abandon for whatever reason.
If you are looking for an indicator that you have posted in a thread, this can be accomplished a couple of ways.

Depending on your preference settings, this can be accomplished.

Step One: Check your preference settings by clicking on your account settings under your avatar near the upper right-hand side of the community.

That will bring you to a new page with some left-side navigation. Select preferences.

Step 2: Make sure you have a checkmark in "Automatically watch content you interact with" and then click save.

Step 3: Now when you check popular or new posts you will see an "eye" under the title area.

It will also show on the thread list within a forum section.

Another option for this.

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
This is the same as previously posted. So, only if I go to the popular or new posts pages will I get an indication I have added to a thread, not on the list of threads under the various headings, like 'Motorcycle Repair'?

Also, I don't see either of the items you show under item #3 above, on any of the pages I've looked at.

As an aside, I often get a security error message when I attempt to post replies to any thread.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
An update: after making those selections, I now get the little eye symbol as shown, but only on threads I've added to after I made the changes. Threads I had previously posted to, do not show the eye. So, only from today forward, and older threads will still be unknown as to whether I have added to them. Guess that's better than nothing; I still miss the old function.

As to the security error, I just noticed it occurs after a message at the bottom says 'The active user has changed', whatever that means.

·
Administrator
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
This is the same as previously posted. So, only if I go to the popular or new posts pages will I get an indication I have added to a thread, not on the list of threads under the various headings, like 'Motorcycle Repair'?

Also, I don't see either of the items you show under item #3 above, on any of the pages I've looked at.

As an aside, I often get a security error message when I attempt to post replies to any thread.
It also displays on thread listings within a forum.

Have you checked your settings as I mentioned in the instructions?

In regards to the error message, have you already tried clearing your cache, logging out and back in again? Are you blocking any cookies/scripts etc in your browser?

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
As soon as I begin typing in the quick reply box, the active user message appears. If I click the close X on the bar that displays the message, it disappears, but I still get the error message: "Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again. ".

My browser (newest Firefox) has all cookies enabled for the session only, excluding for tracking and 3rd party ones, and those that are blocked by Privacy Badger; all cookies are deleted when it is closed. As I said, I changed the settings, and get the eye on threads I posted to after the change, but old threads, no, unless I post to them again.

·
Administrator
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
As soon as I begin typing in the quick reply box, the active user message appears. If I click the close X on the bar that displays the message, it disappears, but I still get the error message: "Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again. ".

My browser (newest Firefox) has all cookies enabled for the session only, excluding for tracking and 3rd party ones, and those that are blocked by Privacy Badger; all cookies are deleted when it is closed. As I said, I changed the settings, and get the eye on threads I posted to after the change, but old threads, no, unless I post to them again.
It sounds like something is keeping you from staying logged in. I am guessing it is related to some part of what you are blocking.

- Cricket

121 - 140 of 186 Posts