Motorcycle Forum banner

181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you hover your mouse over the flag it will show the users location if they choose to share it.
This is true, and it's also true that when viewing the forum on my Android phone I can touch the user's name and a small window pops up with his location (if he entered it). So yes, the information is available.

However, the principle of easy access to the most important data, if applied here, would indicate that the user's location is available without the reader having to do anything else. This is why you hide little-used functions in an obscure menu somewhere and put often-used functions out front on the toolbar.

As @hogcowboy said, user's location is more important than user's post count. I agree.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Can you also add the members location under their avatar area instead of or in addition to their post count. In addition to would be best. Most or many think the post count is of lesser value so if you have limited space then I think we would prefer you sacrifice post count in favor of location. It's just another item that has been getting a few complaints even though that info is readily available with a cursor hover over the avatar/member name. And I have to agree the location tells more than post count at a glance.
If you hover your mouse over the flag it will show the users location if they choose to share it.

Some additional updates have been made to the user profile pop up also this week.

View attachment 60184

Jeff M
My very first sentence states clear that this is a request to ADD the location instead of the post count or in addition to. Do we have a language barrier? If you can't accept this request for additional function here, just where do you want this request then? I thought I stated very clearly that we all understand that info is available by hovering the mouse. Of course you will now have to "click to expand" to see that we already know this. So where the heck do we request additional function or a change to function rather than get grade school education about function????

·
Administrator
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
This is true, and it's also true that when viewing the forum on my Android phone I can touch the user's name and a small window pops up with his location (if he entered it). So yes, the information is available.

However, the principle of easy access to the most important data, if applied here, would indicate that the user's location is available without the reader having to do anything else. This is why you hide little-used functions in an obscure menu somewhere and put often-used functions out front on the toolbar.

As @hogcowboy said, user's location is more important than user's post count. I agree.
My very first sentence states clear that this is a request to ADD the location instead of the post count or in addition to. Do we have a language barrier? If you can't accept this request for additional function here, just where do you want this request then? I thought I stated very clearly that we all understand that info is available by hovering the mouse. Of course you will now have to "click to expand" to see that we already know this. So where the heck do we request additional function or a change to function rather than get grade school education about function????
Updates and changes to the site are not made on the fly, its simply possible for me to be able to jump on every request made on our network. The design and dev teams do the work and make changes based on your collective feedback. We have updates rolling out related to this all and should be coming soon. We roll out updates once a week across the entire network. Some updates will have noticeable changes, some are only security related. For now, please keep up with the constructive feedback so I have more data to share with the dev teams.
-Philip

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Well there you go gang, no longer expect me to pass on your requests to the gods. Bitch or how ever you want but I am not your focal point. If I report even if a thousand of you want something it will be only one request.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
But, but you do it so well Larry and we all know you carry a lot of weight :)

Reactions: hogcowboy

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
But, but you do it so well Larry and we all know you carry a lot of weight :)
And that weight is off my back now. Whew...what a load of crap. ??????

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
If you insist on having half the usable screen filled up with
advertisements and other junk that 98% of the members
couldn't care less about, could you at least make the editor
a true WYSIWYG editor so when we PREVIEW something
to input we know exactly what it will look like.
PLEASE

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
How about you let us directly input problems
to this infamous problem report rather than
filtering them. Maybe the folks that actually
make the program changes can see and hear
what is happening in the real world.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Maybe rather than use this thread to report problems
everyone should use the Report feature where it is
now hidden by the three dots at the top of any post?
At least then those that can make changes will see it
rather than have problems hidden in posts the admins
never see.

That sounds like an excellent way to report ANY
problem the members might have. Can you make
a global announcement to that fact admins? I can't
but at one time could with vBulletin. The moderators
can then ignore those they have no control over which
will be about 90% of them if not more.

·
Administrator
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
@hogcowboy

Thanks for the input and feedback, we have some additional design changes coming down the line in Q1 2020 that will address much of what has been mentioned in this thread. I have alos responded to the error about the flags in the other thread.

never see.

For this, the report feature is to alert admins to spam, rule violation, or any other issues that might need mod attention, not specifically bug reporting.

The new Admin CP portal will be rolling out this month to give you a lot fo the Admin access back, standby for updates.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
PLEASE
This is something that is on the roadmap for Q1 2020 also.

Jeff M

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
hogcowboy said:
never see.

For this, the report feature is to alert admins to spam, rule violation, or any other issues that might need mod attention, not specifically bug reporting.
Didn't take long to get my hands slapped there. So don't use the REPORT button to report yet another bug gang. Use that We've gone live - Community Feedback thread I guess. At least until I get frustrated again and suggest you use the REPORT button because that thread gets ignored or you fail to use that thread so no one sees your problems. Communication, key to a lot.

Reactions: mo admin

·
Administrator
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Didn't take long to get my hands slapped there. So don't use the REPORT button to report yet another bug gang. Use that We've gone live - Community Feedback thread I guess. At least until I get frustrated again and suggest you use the REPORT button because that thread gets ignored or you fail to use that thread so no one sees your problems. Communication, key to a lot.
I apologize we have had some slower response times over the holidays but

We are back at full power for getting replies out sooner and bug squashed.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
PLEASE
I assume you've used the "Preview" option, are you finding that that's not WYSIWYG?

Reports are for unwanted content, and keeping it as such means that there is less work for site staff like yourself to sort through.
As for reporting problems, the best and fastest way for us to get working on it is doing more than letting us know it is broken. Tell us what happened when you ran into the problem, tell us how you'd like the feature to function, tell us what you're not seeing. That way we can best direct you to a missing feature, or develop the feature ourselves. There's more than one way to bake a cake, and I want to ensure that when we take your suggestions that you help us choose the right ingredients for what you're looking to see/do.

-Gerrit

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
I assume you've used the "Preview" option, are you finding that that's not WYSIWYG?

Reports are for unwanted content, and keeping it as such means that there is less work for site staff like yourself to sort through.
As for reporting problems, the best and fastest way for us to get working on it is doing more than letting us know it is broken. Tell us what happened when you ran into the problem, tell us how you'd like the feature to function, tell us what you're not seeing. That way we can best direct you to a missing feature, or develop the feature ourselves. There's more than one way to bake a cake, and I want to ensure that when we take your suggestions that you help us choose the right ingredients for what you're looking to see/do.

-Gerrit
Q.I assume you've used the "Preview" option, are you finding that that's not WYSIWYG?
A. Correct. It doesn't even come close to what actually gets displayed. Sometimes I go to great lengths to get something to look just the way I want a post look and PREVIEW looks good then when actually posted, all that junk on the right totally screws up the whole perfectly arranged post. It's all about wrapped lines I think but not sure.
  • I'll give you an example with screenshots showing what I might want this answer to look like, then show you how it gets butchered.
  • I think I can anyway. I'll need some ordered or unordered lists to show worst case but even regular paragraphs will show how things get messed up due to almost half the screen used to something other than thread or post content.
  • And yes, I'm rambling just so I can demonstrate.
  1. Got to have ordinary long sentences in order to
  2. demonstrate.
  3. As in mixed lengths of short and long lines of text.
  4. Especially for the ordered lists.
  5. Those can demonstrate how PREVIEW and what
  6. is actually displayed can be drastically different
  7. depending on length of sentence.
And whatever rambling there might be. I'll also try to highlight things by changing colors. So "light mode" will be what is typed. "Dark Mode" will be what Preview displays. And my changed dark mode with be what actually is displayed.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Q.I assume you've used the "Preview" option, are you finding that that's not WYSIWYG?
A. Correct. It doesn't even come close to what actually gets displayed. Sometimes I go to great lengths to get something to look just the way I want a post look.
And PREVIEW looks good then when actually posted, all that junk on the right totally screws up the whole perfectly arranged post.
  • It's all about wrapped lines I think but not sure.
  • I'll give you an example with screenshots showing what I might want this answer to look like, then show you how it gets butchered.
  • I think I can anyway. I'll need some ordered or unordered lists to show worst case but even regular paragraphs will show how things get messed up due to almost half the screen used to something other than thread or post content.
  1. And yes, I'm rambling just so I can demonstrate. Got to have ordinary long sentences in order to demonstrate. As in mixed lengths of short and long lines of text.
  2. Especially for the ordered lists. Those can demonstrate how PREVIEW and what is actually displayed can be drastically different depending on length of sentence. And whatever rambling there might be. I'll also try to highlight things by changing colors.
So "light mode" will be what is typed. "Dark Mode" will be what Preview displays. And my changed dark mode with be what actually is displayed.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Well, I'm going to suggest that there have been some software updates since I posted the original complaint or request for change. It was a very simple thing to get a really screwed up post using ordered and unordered lists. I had to work hard to get just minor differences just now. One thing that made doing this was yet another bug or something we need to warn our members about and that if you have a nice long post and say your eyes are going blurry because you are in "light mode" and you decide to change to "dark mode", you lose everything you've typed. That got me twice trying to get you examples and differentiate preview and originally typed posts by switching between the two modes. I also wanted to show the final of each using my colors to prove I wasn't messing things up and my switching doesn't do that since it's outside XenForo. So I'm not sure it's worth much to work on preview and what actually gets posted. I've got 6 screenshots showing how things changed or didn't change but to be honest, I think if I post them here it will just get confusing. Maybe a PDF if you want to see it. What do you think? I mean, just the two finals here is confusing.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Here's a PDF with all of them. 1-3 are asis. 4-6 are edited with different sentence lengths and ordered and unordered lists. 1-2 are light then dark mode and 3 is my color overrides. 4-5 are the edited versions in light then dark mode and 6 is my color overrides. That's if my PDF link even works. I never know with some of this "free" hosting stuff.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Can we make the smilies bigger? :)
I hate to rain on your parade but I doubt they will go that route no matter how much we would all like our big smileys back.
Now I’m not speaking for the administrators by any means but one of the major reason for going with the new format was to get the forum compatible with cell phones and the hundreds of tiny emojis they have.
But I certainly don’t care about phones anyway and would love getting our hard fought for big emojis back. So y’all keep reminding them that this site is special and deserves special consideration. ??? And there’s one of those phone reasons for ya.

181 - 200 of 237 Posts