Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just how many motorcycles are water cooled? And what years did they start making water cooled bikes?
(excuse:eek:ut of touch for a long long long time)

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I had an '85 Honda Sabre 700 that was water cooled, and l am sure it wasn't the first one. I would say more of the newer bikes are water cooled than air cooled. Then there are some models, like the Suzuki Katana, that are oil-cooled.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
H2o

Scott made water cooled bikes about 80 years ago.
All the modern high performance bikes need to be liquid cooled. Otherwise they would not be high performance bikes.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Yes they were but I think the point is water cooled has been around since 1908. I had to look it up too since I had and loved a Scott 3 cylinder outboard I once had. Have no idea if it's the same company but it appears to be possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scott_Motorcycle_Company

·
So long
2,739 Posts
I thought Kawasaki made a water-cooled, triple, two-stroker, back in the mid- to late-70's. It was called, "the Water Buffalo". When I Google'd for it, I found nothing but two-stroke Suzukis... Here is a 1974 Suzuki "Water Buffalo", they were made from 1972-1978:

http://www.classicsportbikesforsale.com/water-buffalo-1974-suzuki-gt750/

Cheers!
:coffee:
You're thinking of the 1972 Kawasaki GT750 triple two-stroke nicknamed the widow maker, but unlike the Suzuki water buffalo it was aircooled.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Water does a much better job of cooling than antifreeze, so it's safer to say water cooled. The antifreeze lowers the freezing point and raises the boiling point, but as the mixture percentage of antifreeze to water increases, the specific heat capacity lowers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm a sucker for odd stuff and I had a 72 Suzuki Water Buffalo, what a piece of junk it was, it had a separate tank that held the oil and pumped it to the bearings and cylinder walls so you didn't add oil to the gas. The big problem was it had sump that caught unused oil and somehow sucked it up and burned it for added oiling if you were climbing a hill which caused it to smoke like hell until the excess was burned.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I don't know of any manufacturer that has gone completely over to water/antifreeze cooling. There might be some obscure specialty company that has but all of the bigger companies still have non-liquid cooled engines in the mix.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
If u have a air cooled dirt bike...n....
U drive it in deep water.....
That makes it a water cooled bike....
Right.....
Am i right.....
:coffeescreen:
Stop looking at my ass...

·
On The Road Again!
3,841 Posts
The very first Goldwing in '75 was liquid cooled.
That's the first water cooled bike that I remember, although there may have been earlier ones.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason I asked was because this 83 Venture Royale I got my hands on is watercooled...

I have always wanted one of those two wheeled, go anywhere, easy on the gas, impress everybody things....
This is a full street touring, never go off the asphalt,
be comfortable
and don't have any accidents thing.s...
are these related in anyway?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts