Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
8,599 Posts
Never sit on your motorcycle like some of the Ironbutt crowd does, fueling right between a persons legs:frown:

Leaving a bike running is stupid.

I pray the guy makes it.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
On each pump in service stations here in New Zealand there is a sign showing what is not allowed, eg. sitting on a motorbike while refuelling, refuelling while the engine is running, using a mobile, fuelling in non-approved containers (plastic), smoking, etc.

While many may claim this is nannying and restricting the freedom of individuals, I see it as the right of the business operator to prevent loss of business because the service station burnt down.

As for this poor motorcyclist, I feel sorry for him that he has encountered Darwin's Law. But refuelling while running the engine of a motorbike is unexcusable.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't even like re-fueling to begin with. There are some mighty hot parts there. Necessary evil at best when you are on the road. But with one running is insane. Hot AND potential spark arcing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Never sit on your motorcycle like some of the Ironbutt crowd does, fueling right between a persons legs:frown:

Leaving a bike running is stupid.

I pray the guy makes it.

Sam:coffeescreen:

Did I miss where the article said he was sitting on the bike, or where it was determined that it was running?

I read it to say they were investigating reports.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Did I miss where the article said he was sitting on the bike, or where it was determined that it was running?

I read it to say they were investigating reports.
From the article
The incident took place just after 8 a.m. Thursday morning at the Chevron off of Trickum Road. Fire investigators are trying to confirm witness reports that the motorcycle was running while the man was fueling. Other witnesses reported loud music being played.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Starting out on a very cold morning I decided to let my Silverado idle while I fueled up. Maybe have a defrosted windshield by the time I got done.

THAT was the morning the nozzle didn't automatically click off. I suddenly had a gallon or more of fuel on the ground, inches from the tailpipe.

By the time my brain started working and I jammed the still-spewing nozzle BACK into the pump, the fuel hitting the nozzle receptacle and spraying back at ME!, which finally shut off the flow there was at least a 5 foot circle of fuel on the ground and at least half a gallon on my hands, sleeves, and pants.

I ran the wrong way around the island (in case it ignited in the meantime) climbed in and pulled away from the pump.

The rules aren't for the 99% of the time everything goes well. They're to save your bacon from over crisping on the 1%.

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Big spill.

Thank you for that Wade. I will add it to your resume.
So far I have not been able to do it, as in spill gas all over.

Sorry to hear about the guy in the first post.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree with you, this is not a nanny state law, this is a public safety law, designed to protect OTHERS, not just the person on the bike!

On each pump in service stations here in New Zealand there is a sign showing what is not allowed, eg. sitting on a motorbike while refuelling, refuelling while the engine is running, using a mobile, fuelling in non-approved containers (plastic), smoking, etc.

While many may claim this is nannying and restricting the freedom of individuals, I see it as the right of the business operator to prevent loss of business because the service station burnt down.

As for this poor motorcyclist, I feel sorry for him that he has encountered Darwin's Law. But refuelling while running the engine of a motorbike is unexcusable.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I never leave my engine running, or use my cell phone with the tank cap open, and I try to exercise caution when fueling my bike.

That being said, I do often sit on the bike while fueling. Because it doesn't have a center stand, it would significantly reduce the amount of fuel I could put in the tank if it were leaned over on the kick stand! And my tank only holds 3.8 gallons to begin with, which is rather small for my use.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
268 Posts
From the article
So it didn't say he WAS fueling with the engine running. It said they were investigating reports. As a former police officer, private investigator and current security director for a large public facility, I can tell you with authority that witnesses are often wrong. ;)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Starting out on a very cold morning I decided to let my Silverado idle while I fueled up. Maybe have a defrosted windshield by the time I got done.
The rest of us using your roads would appreciate it if you would clean your windows so you can see BEFORE you drive to the gas station, or anywhere else, moron.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
On each pump in service stations here in New Zealand there is a sign showing what is not allowed, eg. sitting on a motorbike while refuelling, refueling while the engine is running, using a mobile, fuelling in non-approved containers (plastic), smoking, etc.

We have those signs too. And we all know how well those signs prevent people from doing things, don't we? Kind of like the no weapons allowed signs. Not trying to be a smart butt but I think most of us have seen people doing things right under, next to and behind them.

I hope the guy survives with no lasting scars.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
...Moron.

How hard is it to kill the engine, and start it back up afterward?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Years ago I worked for a company that made gas pumps and visited many stations across the country. The stories I heard about gas pump stupidity were endless and just about every attendant had at least a few.

One of my favourites was from a 'pump jockey' in Toronto who had a customer pull in in the wee hours of the morning in a van. The attendant used to leave the pumps ready to go so a customer wouldn't have to wait if he was away from the till and when he looking out the window this idiot had the back doors of the van open and was pumping gas into a jerry can in the back of the van with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. The attendant immediately hit the "Emergency Stop" button (which shuts down all the pumps) but at the same moment he saw flames from the back of the van. The customer grabbed a blanket out of the back of the van and tried to beat out the fire but managed to get the blanket flaming. He threw the flaming blanket across into the next gas pumps and threw the flaming jerry can the opposite direction into the island on the other side. He then jumped in his van and drove it ahead a couple hundred feet away from the 3 flaming islands at the station.

The attendant, meanwhile, had grabbed the fire extinguisher and went out to extinguish the three fires at his station. When they were out, he looked over at the van and there was still flames in the back so he strolled leisurely back into the station and took his time calling 911. :wink:

I heard stories of people trying to put gasoline in open plastic pails, green garbage bags, and everything else the idiots thought would hold liquid during price wars.

Man's stupidity is endless .........

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts

Observe the flames lapping from her tank even after she walks away...

Despite my own moronic behavior that one particular morning, I've counseled several people on the other side of the island NOT to get in and out of their cars while fueling.

Of course, they just look at me like I was stupid, err, a moron, and drive away. Is it really that obvious ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I ALWAYS have one hand on the nozzle and put the other on my car/bike to make sure any static is dissipated before pumping gas.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts