Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the NW corner of the lower 48 US states. I rode off and on growing up but never had enough money to have my own bike. Now, after being around for just over half a century, I finally got myself a couple of oldies. My first bike, a couple of years ago, was a 1983 Honda XL200R dual sport with only 1200 miles on it. I had to replace the tires and seat cover, which were shot from sitting around so long, but it is otherwise perfect for riding gravel roads (and even the occasional jaunt out on the interstate at 70 mph), but nothing long-distance. I put about 2400 miles on it in the last couple of years, with nothing longer than maybe 60 miles at a time.

But, alas, without rear foot pegs, there is no legal way to take my wife or any of my children on a ride outside our rural property. So this year, I got into a 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750--with only 1200 miles on it. It was bought, used lightly in its first three years, then garaged and covered for 25 years. I am having the carbs cleaned now, since it will not idle unless choked and pretty gutless, but still very smooth-running and in almost factory-new condition. At least I can take some of the family on a ride now.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Brian and congrats on the new bike. Hopefully cleaning the carbs will get all that power back. Those Vulcans are nice bikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome from WV. Nice find! I've always liked the Vulcan looks. It was actually the type of bike I was looking for until I found a good deal on my V Star.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome Brain. Those vintage bikes can be lots of fun. I own a '65 BMW R-60 and a '81 Honda CX-500-C and can say each of them is almost as much fun as my '13 Vision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts