Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The state police spokesman is against allowing lane splitting. His question is "How would we catch up to a violator?" Um, the same way you would currently I think. If someone wasn't going to stop, there's nothing from stopping them from squeezing through cars illegally right now.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
Now Dods. You wouldn't want them to have to think would you? :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Oh boy :smiley_mornincoffee .. time to break out the popcorn sit back & enjoy all the pro/con banter this is going to fire up

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love lane-splitting, especially in stop-and-go traffic. It feels safer to be in control rather than wait for the soccer mom on the cell phone to rear-end you. It's one of the things I miss about Cali.

I could see there being a learning curve for drivers in Washington; I imagine they wouldn't know it was legal for a while. Ultimately, though, everyone would benefit.

The primary argument I hear against lane-splitting is that it's wrong to let motorcyclists cut in line. That's the wrong analogy. Here's a more accurate one: You're at the grocery store with a basket with a few items in it. You qualify for the express lane. Everyone else in line has a full cart, so they can't use the express lane. You use it and are out of the store much faster. This doesn't cause anyone else to wait longer; in fact, the people who would otherwise be lined up behind you now get through a little faster.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Lane splitting

Fourty years ago the number 5 north south past Seattle was not blocked.
These days it can be a 14 lane wide parking lot, stop and go to drive you nuts.
Makes sense to let the bikes ride down the far right or far left of the road.
More room there than between lanes.
A maximum speed of 35 makes sense to me.
Usually the difference in speed is mostly about 20 mph, say 70 to 90.
When the speed difference gets too great, crashed happen.
My interest is getting there, not stoking the egos of the young guys.
Up here they made a bus lane up the right hand side. Buses have less room than a bike would have, with no alterations to the road. And the buses are doing 60 while the vehicles may be stopped.
Was on the bus and sky train a few weeks ago. Whole trip was faster than taking the bike, on account of the bus lanes.
Bikes can use the HOV lanes in BC and WA.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
If they reduced the size of lane for cars by a foot on each side they could make a bike lane. Wonder how people in car would like that? Could make for a good argument to allow lane splitting. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally, l am not excited about this one way or another. I guess l'm not that confident of a rider that l feel like squeezing through a 3 foot wide space at 35mph. When l pull up to a parking lot at a red light, which l do every day going through the U district going to work, l will probably work through the cars if l can do it reasonably well. My girlfriend was all worried that this would make me into a crazy rider. I told her that l ride like l drive and she calmed down a bit. (She is always telling me to get going in the car)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Use your mirrors like cat whiskers. Keep them all the way out. If they touch, the next thing will be your bars or knees. Time to stop.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
I prefer not to do that Rob. But I've seen it done and thought, someone is going to get hostile if they bump someone pride and joy. I forgo the touching.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I like the option of lane splitting, and think it should be legal. I'm not sure it I would do it, but I think it is effective in reducing gridlock, and keeping traffic flowing.

The mirrors idea works unless you have wide panniers. I have heard of off-road/adventure riders putting zip ties on the end of the brake/clutch levers and having them stick out as wide as the panniers. If the tie hits the tree, so will your boxes..it is works for trees it should work for SUVs:wink:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If they reduced the size of lane for cars by a foot on each side they could make a bike lane. Wonder how people in car would like that? Could make for a good argument to allow lane splitting. Just thinking out loud here.
Yeah that's my biggest concern when lane splitting gets introduced to a new city/state. Nobody widened the lanes when lane splitting got introduced they're still the same "1 car width" they've ever been..

So if they initially designed the lane to be sufficient width for 1 car, how can a motorcycle be easily added with no concern? I drive along in normal traffic (in my car) and at times when I'm driving beside another car I can't help but wonder how a motorcycle could possible squeeze between us without a problem?

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I prefer not to do that Rob. But I've seen it done and thought, someone is going to get hostile if they bump someone pride and joy. I forgo the touching.
I was half joking. Yeah, I keep my mirrors like that, but after a couple years of splitting, I knew where I could fit and where I couldn't. I admit I do tap a mirror sometimes on the side of a dump truck or city bus because they take up more space, and won't notice.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Yeah that's my biggest concern when lane splitting gets introduced to a new city/state. Nobody widened the lanes when lane splitting got introduced they're still the same "1 car width" they've ever been..

So if they initially designed the lane to be sufficient width for 1 car, how can a motorcycle be easily added with no concern? I drive along in normal traffic (in my car) and at times when I'm driving beside another car I can't help but wonder how a motorcycle could possible squeeze between us without a problem?
Go overseas and you'll see how they fit.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In Washington l don't see that this will make much difference anyway. There aren't many year-round riders, and most riders are weekend warriors. They really aren't depended on for transportation as much as they are used for joy. I don't know anyone who has a bike and no car.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Cage

I do not own a car. Does that get me to the top of your new list?
I do own a belch mobile, AKA my 78 Chev 3/4 ton. Was the farm truck. Hardly ever moves. Am keeping it to move the 28 foot sail boat when I sell it.
I want a small diesel pickup after the Chev has gone. I have a Nissan diesel engine.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I only get up to WA occasionally. the stop-and-go traffic into Seattle was HORRENDOUS. they've gotta allow lane-splitting. that is a natural!

the only problem up there ... more rain, wetter roads. that would be the only practical concern. yeah the WA drivers will freak out when they first see MC lane spiltters, but they will adapt to it.

lane splitting is part of human evolution ... get it right or die! down in LA we do have a sub-class of MC riders who split lanes at high speeds. you cn call 'em weekend warriors if you want to. I call 'em the Freeway Rats!! HAHAHA!!! they are moving fast. and they will die or suffer serious injuries if they screw up.

I do lane splitting, but no more than 10+ mph, compared to the cars.

dT

·
Registered
187 Posts

There's no universal car width. You've got everything from Fiats to semis using the same lane. If a semi can fit, and you've got sedans side-by-side, lane-splitting is no problem. You won't always fit, but it's great to have the option when you can.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not own a car. Does that get me to the top of your new list?
I do own a belch mobile, AKA my 78 Chev 3/4 ton. Was the farm truck. Hardly ever moves. Am keeping it to move the 28 foot sail boat when I sell it.
I want a small diesel pickup after the Chev has gone. I have a Nissan diesel engine.

Unkle Crusty*
Yes, UC...you are now at the top of my list! Although you do have a truck...but l know that you use your bike for shopping and whatnot, l have read your stories of filling the sidecar with groceries and whatnot :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts