Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nope, I'm really happy with the bike, it offers everything I wanted in a sportbike!
I feel the BMW S1000RR would do the same for me, but I just don't trust myself with that kind of powah. I also want something more comfortable for longer rides...maybe the new Ninja 1000 (not the supersport ZX-10) would fit the bill...less aggressive seating position and not quite as powerful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 on being careful about the electronics. I washed my Sabre at a local manual car wash and then my blinkers started acting funny. Turned out I had gotten some water in the relay and was causing it to freak out. Plus, if you have some rigged wiring connections (electrical tape etc) you could break those loose

·
Registered
326 Posts
Tires: DO NOT use any of the automotive detailing tire dressings, wheel & tire cleaners, Armorall, etc. = any product that make the tires pretty, black and shiny... :thumbsdown:

some of them will have warnings: "not for motorcycle use" but some will not

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope, I'm really happy with the bike, it offers everything I wanted in a sportbike!
Feel the same exact way about my '09 R1. For the first time, I'm not pining for something else. I consider the Duc 1198 and MV F4 to be amongst the most beautiful sportbikes out there, but wouldn't want either of those in place of the R1.

As to bike washing - I bought some terrific bike cleaner from Cycle Gear. Forget the brand, but do remember it was pink in color and came in a spray bottle advertised as "streak free drying". I literally spray it on the bike, hose down the bike and wipe clean with chamois. Takes all of 5 minutes, not including the wheels - where I simply use WD-40 (and ensure I don't get it on the tires). The best wheel cleaner around, IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After the soap and water treatment to keep the bike looking nice you can use Plexxus. Its a bit pricey lately, but it works very well.
Also great to use for those of us that have Jeeps with the soft top and plastic windows.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A good car wash soap will be fine. I also use Simple green to help remove grease and grime and I also have used the S-100 cleaner as well as Spectro XL-1 motorcycle wash which is a bit less expensive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use a cheaper,generic version of Plexus...

Spray on,lightly but completely cover the bike,wait 5 minutes,wipe to a haze with an old hand towel,wait 5 more minutes and buff to a shine with a fresh towel...Leaves the bike looking new,no water needed...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Take care of your chain. It should never have rust on it. I use PJ-1 chain wax, or whatever is equal to it. I use mild soap and water, and the chain, I use Mineral spirits. Some use WD-40, thats ok too. Its a bike, and made to get wet, but avoid the pressure cleaners. If its that dirty, you got bigger problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Speaking of chain, I've been told every 1,000 lube it up. Any recommendations on what I should use to get it greased?

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I just bought my first sport bike last week and I've finally noticed the white fairings are a bit dirty. And I want to go on a ride on a clean bike with my dad, because it's my birthday and we are going to buy a new helmet. (And there may be some attractive women in town or on the way so I want to look especially good.) So I'm just wondering what method I should use to clean my bike since the chain is exposed and I've heard power washing ruins the paint/bearings even on a low setting. And advice for using soap or drying in any specific method would be nice too. Have a nice Sunday!
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax, I dont know how much plastic is on your bike but on my HD 1200c Sportster I pre-wash it real good before i actually wash it. The wash and wax is the best i have found. It give a deep shine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Speaking of chain, I've been told every 1,000 lube it up. Any recommendations on what I should use to get it greased?
I clean and lube mine every 600 miles at a minimum because that's what it says in my manual. If the chain looks excessively dirty or if I rode my bike in the rain then I will also clean and lube the chain immediately after.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
wow, you guys worry about getting things wet? What do you do if it's raining? I wash my bike religiously once a year or so, washing cuts riding time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Good point murphy, but I like having people compliment me on how great the bike looks and not how many bugs they can see on my windshield haha. Also brings in more girls.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts