Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my first sport bike last week and I've finally noticed the white fairings are a bit dirty. And I want to go on a ride on a clean bike with my dad, because it's my birthday and we are going to buy a new helmet. (And there may be some attractive women in town or on the way so I want to look especially good.) So I'm just wondering what method I should use to clean my bike since the chain is exposed and I've heard power washing ruins the paint/bearings even on a low setting. And advice for using soap or drying in any specific method would be nice too. Have a nice Sunday!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
"Bike Bright" works well, but so does plain ole car wash soap and water. You can use an electric leaf blower to dry the bike if you'd like.

Power washers are okay in some cases, but keep it away from electrics, chains, bearings. Also, it may be too much for painted plastic, but good quality paint on metal is okay, as well as chromed parts.

·
10,756 Posts
I use regular car wash soap and water. Look for a product called s-100 at a motorcycle shop. Great waterless cleaner/wax for quick clean ups.

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
I don't use soap. I use a good rag and water. I then wax after. Comes out perfect every time. I will use some grease cleaner on the swing arm if theres any buildup of oil.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My Harley does not see water, ever. I clean it with spray bottles and rags.
It will make those electrical connections last that much longer.
My poor Hyosung only gets washed by mother nature when it rains.

Girls dont look at helmets, they look at the bike.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I use car wash soap and water. After rinsing, I use my leaf blower to remove most of the water and a synthetic chamois to wipe it dry. I then take it for a little spin to clean off the brakes and let the rest dry.

In between good washings, I'll just use a rag dipped in water and wrung out.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I usually spot clean my bike but its not going to hurt it to take a hose and bucket with soap and water to it. Think about when you ride your bike in the rain, that doesn't hurt it does it? No, so soap and water is fine.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I usually spot clean my bike but its not going to hurt it to take a hose and bucket with soap and water to it. Think about when you ride your bike in the rain, that doesn't hurt it does it? No, so soap and water is fine.
Weeeell, over time, it could cause rust and corrosion that could have otherwise been easily avoided. There's just something I don't like about getting parts of my bike wet that don't need to get wet to get clean.

Rex, I realize that, for you personally, this isn't a big deal considering how often you buy a new bike...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Also, for those of you that use a sponge or even a microfiber mitt with a bucket of soap and water, keep in mind that the water you are using is collecting dirt from the mitt each time you dip it. So, the mitt is never really free of debris, and that is what you are rubbing on your paint. Dirt particles scratch clear coat and there's degreaser in the soap, which over time can diminish the luster of the clear coat, so if you use a soap like that, be sure to wax often to protect your paint.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Weeeell, over time, it could cause rust and corrosion that could have otherwise been easily avoided. There's just something I don't like about getting parts of my bike wet that don't need to get wet to get clean.

Rex, I realize that, for you personally, this isn't a big deal considering how often you buy a new bike...:biggrin:
I have owned my R1 for almost 2 years now:thumbsup: Only thing that is really going to rust is your chain, if its dried and lubed properly it should be fine. Other than that, unless water is sitting, your golden.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
2 years on the R1???? Thats a record, eh? You've gotta be about due to buy a different bike by now...:biggrin:

·
Registered
291 Posts
when washing a sports bike off (after you soap all the fearings and such) do you "avoid" any specific areas? like getting like the tach and stuff wet, the seat, motor, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
when washing a sports bike off (after you soap all the fearings and such) do you "avoid" any specific areas? like getting like the tach and stuff wet, the seat, motor, etc etc.
Seats fine, tach is ok, just don't hit it with a pressure washer, think about if your bike gets rained on, everything gets wet, the bike is fine.

·
The Rainmaker
502 Posts
My bikes are washed and waxed with the same products I use on my cars.
As far as damaging anything or rusting because of the water used bucket washing, my 1985 Nighthawk still looks new with no sign of rust. The only areas that show wear are some of the hoses and the rubber covers that have some weather checking/cracking. I think that's just 26 years of aging.

A few cautions.

Avoid spraying your hose directly on instruments, electrical connections, bearings, and air intake openings.

Be careful with degreasers in bearing areas. (Wheels, steering head, swing arm for instance.)

Pressure washers are something else entirely. I'm sure someone uses them with no problem, but I avoid them completely. They can drive soap and water into places you wouldn't think of. They can also lift paint if there is an area where it isn't adhering tightly.

·
Kindergarten Member
530 Posts
In the shade if possible.
Wet down the bike with garden hose.
Wet it down again.
Wet it down again.
When the bike is nice and soaked. Any dirt/bugs/gunk will be soaked and will come off easier.
Car soap and water.
Don't let the bike dry with soap on it. Clean and rinse, clean and rinse.
Use a clean sponge, large and small to get to nooks and crannies.
Rinse with hose spray (don't use a pressure washer)
Leaf blower to dry
Car Wax with dampened applicator
Mist (NOT SOAK) some water on microfiber cloth and use it to polish shine.
Throw everything into the washer and wash. Gets rid of the dirt on the sponges, wax applicator, and towels. Put out in sun to dry and then put away in a clean plastic bag for the next time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts