Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Visionary
2,839 Posts
I’ve taken mine apart twice and washed all the funk out of it. Dawn dish soap ( if it’s safe for baby ducks it’s safe for me), hot water, rinse well and hang to dry 2 days before reassembly.
Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Would anyone really buy a used helmet on e-bay? It well could be damaged, old and no longer viable, or just plain stinky. At least if you buy one at a garage sale you can look at it and smell it. But I can't really imagine ever buying a used helmet, period.
I think it would depend on the helmet vito. If you see a near new almost $800 helmet selling for $75 or $100, I think it might be worth the gamble, provided you had tried on several of that kind and style and knew they fit well. I wouldn't risk it otherwise. Different style even in the same brand might not fit. But I think it would be worth the risk if the price was right. I wouldn't risk it above half price I don't think. That might depend on how hard it is to find that particular helmet. Weigh the risks is all I can say. There are some darn good values out there. Right helmet for the right price nearly new, very possible.

·
On The Road Again!
2,561 Posts
I’ve taken mine apart twice and washed all the funk out of it. Dawn dish soap ( if it’s safe for baby ducks it’s safe for me), hot water, rinse well and hang to dry 2 days before reassembly.
Works great.
Same for me. Dawn works great!

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
I never wash mine.
No one ever steals it
Depends
If very expensive they sure do.
Especially in certain areas.
East Los Angelos
East Saint Louis
Houston
Chicago
That's just in the United States.
I'd bet there are others in the whole world too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
^ NICE, quadruple spoilers. I didn't know we could do that. You're probably going to be sorry that you showed me that. 😄

·
Registered
44 Posts
Would anyone really buy a used helmet on e-bay? It well could be damaged, old and no longer viable, or just plain stinky. At least if you buy one at a garage sale you can look at it and smell it. But I can't really imagine ever buying a used helmet, period.
You can tell if a helmet is damaged just from pictures. "Stinky" helmets tend to be the most comfortable. If you've never been in a stinky helmet, try it at least once. My most comfortable helmets all stink from other guys' sweat. Wearing another guy's cootie-sweat is not a big deal, fitting better than anything you're gonna get new.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If I could just put the stink factor on the back burner for a moment. Wouldn't a well "broken-in" helmet not be a good idea, since it would be broken-in to the shape of the previous rider's head, and not your own.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Wouldn't a well "broken-in" helmet not be a good idea, since it would be broken-in to the shape of the previous rider's head, and not your own.
Maybe if all else is good. But part of the break-in compresses the cushy foam too and that might not work well for the next person. Some of that stuff breaks down rather rapidly. Now if you get all new foam lining then it's probably great. But you don't get that so much until you get to the more expensive helmets anyway so most likely anyone buying those would be replacing those foam linings anyway. How's that for talking in circles??? :) :) :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe if all else is good. But part of the break-in compresses the cushy foam too and that might not work well for the next person. Some of that stuff breaks down rather rapidly. Now if you get all new foam lining then it's probably great. But you don't get that so much until you get to the more expensive helmets anyway so most likely anyone buying those would be replacing those foam linings anyway. How's that for talking in circles??? :) :) :)
What I've found, actually, is that when another guy wears in a helmet, it fits more naturally on my head. The more worn in a helmet is, the more comfortable it is. Once I discovered all the positives about wearing used headgear, I never went back to buying new.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Once I discovered all the positives about wearing used headgear, I never went back to buying new.
So does that mean if you find a very very new used one, say a guy just purchased it and only got to use it a month or so before he was killed in a car accident, you'll pass on it? Or some similar very very new one. Maybe the guy got headaches wearing it so put it up for sale on eBay. Just trying to determine where you draw the line on "used".

I don't think you'll have to worry about your supply of used helmets but I do think you might not have a bad idea. I know for fact that a good helmet is darn hard to break in.

I'm still working on my last and it now has over 8K miles on it and counting. It's just recently started feeling pretty good. Most of the hot spots are now gone. Still got one ear that if I don't get the helmet on just right, it begins to get uncomfortable at about the 1 hour mark but not bad enough to stop. So I'm real close now. But what a pain. So I get it. Just don't think I can do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So does that mean if you find a very very new used one, say a guy just purchased it and only got to use it a month or so before he was killed in a car accident, you'll pass on it? Or some similar very very new one. Maybe the guy got headaches wearing it so put it up for sale on eBay. Just trying to determine where you draw the line on "used".

I don't think you'll have to worry about your supply of used helmets but I do think you might not have a bad idea. I know for fact that a good helmet is darn hard to break in.

I'm still working on my last and it now has over 8K miles on it and counting. It's just recently started feeling pretty good. Most of the hot spots are now gone. Still got one ear that if I don't get the helmet on just right, it begins to get uncomfortable at about the 1 hour mark but not bad enough to stop. So I'm real close now. But what a pain. So I get it. Just don't think I can do it.
A helmet damaged in a crash is probably not usable. A nearly new, undamaged, helmet that a guy sells may not be much better. Typically, guys sell their nearly new helmets because of one design flaw or another.

The best helmets are those that guys stay in for years. They are designed well, and they're super comfortable. Guys don't quickly part with their best helmets. They wear them for ten thousand miles or more.

We may agree that helmets take months or even years before they fit naturally. Some argue that a helmet shapes to the rider's head. I argue that helmets gain a more natural shape, regardless of who breaks them in. It's just a matter of literally sweating the details. Sweat is the final finish inside a helmet the way that wax is the final finish on a showroom car.

My best helmets were not bought new or barely used. Rather, my best helmets were fully worn in before I ever put them on, and they smelled like a thousand rides, right out of the box.

The padding material inside a helmet loses its spring after it's been washed a few times. Replacing the padding also replaces the well worn comfort of a used helmet. So, to get all of the benefits of a helmet that's well-worn, one must wear it as it is. That means exactly what it sounds like. It means getting in another guy's sweat and wearing it.

Most guys who say they'd never wear another guy's helmet haven't worn another guy's helmet. Without experience, you just can't reach a solid conclusion. All riders should try wearing a used helmet for a few days at least once in a lifetime. Most guys would discover a preference for wearing used headgear over that which is new.

Pictured with this reply is my best find in the last ten years. Helmets like this are rare, and are quickly scooped up by those in the know. Guys who've never ridden with worn-in headgear can't imagine what it's actually like to wear this. Riders who are aware of the benefits of well-worn headgear see how natural and inviting this helmet is, and they'd put it on in a second, and ride in it for many years.

Perhaps, when you've finally got your helmet perfectly broken in, you'll sell it on eBay, and maybe I'll be the buyer. Maybe, your next new helmet will be one that's well-worn. The entry cost is low; so, you never know.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
when you've finally got your helmet perfectly broken in, you'll sell it on eBay, and maybe I'll be the buyer
Won't find mine there. I wear until it's completely shot some 20 years later. Brittle and the foam that protects is crumbling. Want it then? ha ha ha I've only had 3 helmets my entire riding career and one of them was split nearly in two in a crash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Won't find mine there. I wear until it's completely shot some 20 years later. Brittle and the foam that protects is crumbling. Want it then? ha ha ha I've only had 3 helmets my entire riding career and one of them was split nearly in two in a crash.
If the helmet's falling apart, then it's not usable. The Icon, pictured above, is nowhere near that point. Sure, it's dirty and smelly, but that's the nature of a well-worn helmet that's not destroyed. Once I tried on my first used helmet, and got past my preconceived ideas, I never went back to buying new headgear.

I agree with you that you should wear what you've got until it's no longer functional. I certainly do.

Helmets are good for much longer than what is "recommended." In fact, the ones that have been used to the recommended limit are the best ones to buy because another guy sweated the details so you don't have to. All you have to do with a well worn lid is get in it and go for a ride.

·
Visionary
2,839 Posts
I don't understand your fetish for wearing other guys sweaty helmets. If you like it that's fine but it just makes no sense.

I understand that a helmet is best when it's well broken in, but breaking it in yourself is the way to go, then you can enjoy years of smelling your own sweat and stink, until it gets so bad that you have to wash it.

Mine got like that twice, it smelled like stale pickles and my eyes would water when I closed the visor..I can only assume that something was growing in it, eating sweat, hair oil and/or dead skin and excreting acetic acid. I was confused why my eyes were watering and burning till i figured it out. Washing it got rid of the smell and the eye tearing acid fumes for a bit over a year, then it came back, and a rewash took care of it again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't understand your fetish for wearing other guys sweaty helmets. If you like it that's fine but it just makes no sense.

I understand that a helmet is best when it's well broken in, but breaking it in yourself is the way to go, then you can enjoy years of smelling your own sweat and stink, until it gets so bad that you have to wash it.

Mine got like that twice, it smelled like stale pickles and my eyes would water when I closed the visor..I can only assume that something was growing in it, eating sweat, hair oil and/or dead skin and excreting acetic acid. I was confused why my eyes were watering and burning till i figured it out. Washing it got rid of the smell and the eye tearing acid fumes for a bit over a year, then it came back, and a rewash took care of it again.
Wearing the soft padding of a worn in helmet is just better than wearing a new helmet, in my opinion. Sweat is just a normal part of that. Once you've worn another guy's helmet, the chances are you'll never buy new again.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts