Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly my helmet has a removable/washable liner… so I've taken it all apart and the liner is actually all soft foam with some plastic pieces attached. Any tips on washing this stuff?? I really don't want to wreck my helmet.. it's not smelly at all, but I definitely sweated in it over the season.

·
American Legion Rider
18,096 Posts
Personally I'd just rinse it in cold running water and drip dry. Some times you can't get all the soap out if you use it on it and some people will get an irritation because of that. I have no idea what the manufactures recommend. Might check their site on that.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
I use a mild Castile type soap, which rinses out well, and contains no detergents. Rinse thoroughly, squeeze out as much water as possible with a towel, and hang in front of an AC vent to help dry.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Most liners are various forms of formed foam and the covering is pliable. I'd believe you won't compromise the shape of the pre-formed foam, and the outer material, if carefully handled, could get a bit snug after you wash and dry it.

A mild soap, and a little care........you SHOULD be ok. I'd do what was suggested, and contact the manufacturer (if that's reasonably easy to do) and seek their advice.

-Soupy

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I just used some of my dear wife's dish soap - she buys the stuff that is free of dyes and scents and such.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
I fill the sink with hot water and laundry soap. Soak them and squeeze the removable pads in there so that it soaks into the entire foam pad to the center. Then hand scrub them. Rinse well and air dry. Takes about 5 minutes not counting drying time. Works well to remove sweat, oils, and stink.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I am heavy set and tend to sweat into my helmet a lot over summer. I have a Sharp Ion Generator - when I come in from a ride I plug it in, place the helmet on it, turn it on and it blows "ionised" air through the helmet. The air flow dries out the helmet and my helmet never smells.

Don't know if the "ionised" air actually exists but placing my helmet on the unit when I come in and leaving it overnight sure makes wearing it a pleasure.

Yes, you can take the lining out and wash it, but I find the ion generator so easy to use and it gives a great result.

·
American Legion Rider
18,096 Posts
Wow! That seems like overkill when a cotton helmet liner that you can change every few days works just as well. I sweat a lot too in this Texas heat. You can just rinse them too if you don't have a replacement.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread I thought you were asking about helmets that you should wear when washing your bike. I know that while washing you could get soap in your eyes, or even slip on the wet surface, but honestly, I don't think you need to wear a helmet when washing the bike. Even the ATGATT fanatics take off their helmet when washing their BMW's. They wear their leathers, of course, and never crack a smile (required for riding a BMW) but they forego the helmet.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Would anyone really buy a used helmet on e-bay? It well could be damaged, old and no longer viable, or just plain stinky. At least if you buy one at a garage sale you can look at it and smell it. But I can't really imagine ever buying a used helmet, period.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a helmet with a 3 piece removable liner (HTC brand) and being in Florida I have been washing it at least once a month to cut down on the smell. I simply put it in the washer on top of other laundry and then hang it to dry. I've probably washed it about 20 times so far and it's still holding together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently bought a used helmet on eBay. It was the same model as one I bought new at Cycle Gear only in my preferred color scheme and it claimed to have the Sena headset installed and only used five times. I was the only bidder and got it for about half normal helmet selling price. It was exactly as described and even came with the box and cover. It did not smell funky at all and looked almost new, but I still removed the liner and washed it and wiped the helmet with some Clorox wipes. I thought I was going to take the Sena out and put it in my new helmet but decided to just use the eBay helmet. It's pretty much conformed to my noggin now.

BC

1 - 20 of 37 Posts