Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Harley, yes you did say it was fully zipped up in the OP, but guys like me still check.
Critter, some zip slides do have a pin type bit on the inside that locks into the teeth part of the zip.
YKK is a common brand, but likely the ones made in China are no good. I do check the labels. Looking for any variance on real leather, and made in China.
It does seem possible that the very tight fit may have been a factor. I do not need help removing my own clothes, but it can be exciting. A sweet nurse removed my MX pants, after one of my better Roger DeCosta moves.
Forgot who asked. Wave the mousey finger over Reply. A box appears saying Reply, quoting this message. Clicky.

UK

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Okay all. The pull tab, AKA slider, is metal, stamped "Vision YKK 8VS" on it as I stated. The teeth, AKA chain, is plastic. The pull tab, AKA slider, was all the way to the top zipped up before the crash. It kind of really doesn't matter. Everybody is missing the point. Bilt is saying that you are not to even consider this jacket as protection. In other words, don't even think of it as protection. Meaning, don't use it on a motorcycle ride. And yet everybody does because it has the armour, it is thick leather, because it is sold all in all major motorcycle clothing stores and on-line. There are tons of reviews of how great it looks and quality looking and should protect great in a slide. It has the features of a protective motorcycle jacket. That's why everyone is buying it. I Exposed the disclaimer tag inside the jacket in the photo and under bright lights by pulling the jacket wide open. Nobody does this in the dimly lit dressing room of a store. If you wish, I can upload more photos of it hidden, tucked in the corner under normal lighting. It is hidden to everyone as soon as it is zipped up and placed on a rack at the store. Plenty of people are buying on-line and then using it as soon as they receive it. I think they made it the way they did to make it obscure to the public. The Disclaimer itself is also deceptive. It actually starts off by stating that it has CE rated, tested, shock armour, but farther down on the tag comes the real disclaimer saying the jacket itself has not been tested and therefore is "not to be considered protective equipment". People are taking these jackets to the dressing room and unzipping them and trying them on. Many riders are never looking for disclaimers of this sort. Do you? I doubt it. Nevertheless, why is it on the shelf for sale in a motorcycle store along side with the rest of the tested jackets. Anyone would assume that a reputable company like Bilt would have tested the jacket and made sure it was safe before it was for sale. Right, don't assume anything. I'm exposing the dangers of buying a non tested jacket. And to rebuff, no, I didn't cause the injury. I crashed, yes. Low speed and only slid 4 feet, and would not have a scratch, if the jacket stayed zipped up all the way to the top and stayed on, like a good one should. I'm done. All the info is here and in prior posts. Later all.

·
Ace Tuner
1,828 Posts
"not to be considered protective equipment"
I only read those tags to learn how to care for a garment. Since I don't much care how my leather jacket looks I probably would have never seen that disclaimer.
Even if I did I would have laughed it off as nothing but CYA lawyer speak. Obviously a sorry azz zipper is the problem with your jacket, Harleyquin.
We should all appreciate your effort to warn us. Thanks for that.
Personally I never would have expected a zipper to unzip while in a slide. Now I know better and will warn my riding buddies to be sure to buy a jacket that has a zipper with that locking tab thing or something that will keep it zipped.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
I wonder if the zipper is a true YKK zipper. The Chinese are good at putting something out that looks similar. Like a YHK so at first glance you think you are getting quality products. Not saying that's the case here but it is certainly possible. I've seen YKK type zippers with different letters and the makers of YKK issued cease and desist orders. It's been awhile since I saw one though. Not sure what happened in that case and it might not have been China but it has happened. And who knows, maybe YKK no longer makes the quality zipper they have been known for in the past. Just saying I certainly don't know is all. Products do get out that fail and that doesn't mean they are all bad. If that were true everyone would be walking instead of driving. Which isn't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The disclaimer isn't all that surprising and doesn't bother me much. It's on all kind of products as part of lawsuit prevention. Your helmet probably has one, and so does your motorcycle and car, at least in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dang, I have two Bilt jackets, one summer mesh and one waterproof fabric. I have to check them for that tag. But they do seem well-constructed. I have several other pieces of Bilt gear that seem to be good quality, very good for the price and have held up well.
One important thing I noticed. Both of my jackets have a strap across the neck with a heavy snap, to keep the top of the zipper closed. I looked up the Abbot just now and it does not have that, I think that's the weakness. It just zips up and you have to trust it to stay zipped.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts