Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
My automobiles each have 3-point lap/shoulder belts, full frontal and side-curtain airbags, ABS brakes, specially-designed reinforced bodies -- and still the makers don't warrant that I won't be hurt in a crash. Go figure...

·
Registered
740 Posts
An external flap (over the zipper) with snaps might be the answer you're looking for. A good metal zipper alone might work too.
That's hard to find. Years ago during my first riding era I had a leather jacket with a snap flap over the zipper. Then 15 months ago when I started riding again I went looking for a jacket like that, and found only a few that weren't very good quality. Apparently that flap has gone out of style. I finally found (and bought) a used Hein Gericke First Gear leather jacket with the desired snap flap. Great jacket. There's quite a bit of decent motorcycle gear for sale on poshmark.com.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
My post about leather quality was for general knowledge. The average shopper may not be aware, and may not know the difference. I also would have questions about why and how the zip came undone.
I have slid on dry pavement at much higher speeds, and only scratched the leather.

UK

·
Registered
663 Posts
@Harleyquin you have my condolences on your injury and the forth coming recovery that will surely include soreness and then tenderness for some time. with respect to you and your wife, as well as, the opinions you have expressed here, if you continue to read you are most likely going to be angry, so I hope you and others will take this as constructive comments. These are only my observations from reading this thread and my opinion.....

The Bilt brand of gear is Cycle Gear's home brand, which is of the lowest economy and price point. If shoppers are shopping price, this is their best buy. Sedici is also their home brand and it is considered a step above Bilt. Neither of them equal the quality of other brands such as Alpinstars, Klim, and Dainese for example. Even within all these brands are offered various levels of design, features, quality and pricing.

• The disclosure tag isn't hidden. It is in plain sight in an area that is common for tags to be placed. Actually it would be hard to believe someone who does their research would not have read the tags. If they did (which is obvious they didn't) the jacket could have been returned to Cycle Gear for a full refund long before this incident.
  • Zippers are designed to make it easier to fasten/unfasten the closure. Some zippers have a lock design, some are easy to zip and some are not (along with unzip). Some zippers are heavy duty, some are not. The better design gear have a safety design, such as a snap flap at the top of the zipper to aid in preventing unintentional unzipping, some do not. If a zipper unintentionally unzips during a crash, that doesn't prove it failed, although it could depending on the design, material, and how it was used. Out of the 10 jackets my wife and I wear, 9 have safety snaps above the front zipper and the other has a Velcro safety flap. The design of this OP jackets appears not to have this safety feature. Out of those 10 jackets none of the zippers will easily unzip (actually they are relatively impossible to unzip without pulling the zip tab. I'm not arguing that the zipper in the jacket stated in the OP will not unzip easily, just making a statement about the jackets I have.
  • I have never seen, and I challenge anyone else to provide proof where a gear manufacture states that their product has been tested and certified to prevent all injuries, or even any specific injury, during any kind of motorcycle crash by any user. Despite this, any consumer can contact a manufacture before purchase and ask them is the zipper going to fail in my upcoming about 30 mph low side crash, and make there decision to buy based on the response.
  • Protective gear can be almost anything, but how much protection will it provide against any specific situation when stress is placed on it. Riders understand (or should understand) protective gear may provide some protection, but there is no guarantee that it will protect against any and all injury.
  • Just as important as the design and quality of a jacket is the fit, and does the design conform well to the style of the rider. In general a loosely fitting jacket may provide less protection than a snug fitting jacket. A jacket design and size that doesn't position the protective impact protection in the proper place will provide less protection than if it does. In this case, if the jacket was a size larger than snug, that may have contributed to it being ripped away from the shoulder in addition to the stated zipper issue. I don't know what size the OP is or the size of this jacket.
  • I think the best outcome of this kind of thread is to remind riders it is their responsibility to examine the gear they buy before they get into a crash. Does it fit properly, have we read all the tags sewn into the garment and attended to the garment. That would include care and cleaning instructions which over time may change the quality. Along with snaps and Velcro attachments, how does that zipper work!! As well as, is it CE approved pads, a back pad or a back protector as they are different. Is it double locked stitched and how think is that leather or fabric.
  • I see in your review, you mentioned the jacket needed a safety snap at the top of the front zipper. Did you learn this after the crash, or were you aware of this prior to the crash and elected to wear the jacket despite this design? Either way, lesson learned or relearned!
None of this takes way from your injury. And perhaps that jacket did prevent additional injuries like to your elbow and arm....could be!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I appreciate the OP posting this. We need reminders every now and then about how important gear is and how quality gear is worth the price.

A friend of mine had a similar incident with kevlar lined jeans. A high side at about 30 mph. The jeans tore (kevlar and all) and he suffered not-insignificant abrasions to his knee (he had the CE approved knee armor removed for some reason).

Seems to me kevlar is fine if you have a gentle low side that plops you down and you slide to a stop on some smooth asphalt. But if you are tossed a few feet in the air and go down hard on a roughly paved country road, the kevlar may not survive the shearing/tearing force of the impact. Leather only for me...

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is my experience with at least three different jackets by two brands, that leather goods made in Pakistan have crap zippers. One of these was a Tourmaster jacket where the zipper failed on a cross country trip and I had to find a luggage shop to get it replaced. Another one, my current Built brand, had a zipper failure in the first year I owned it. I took it back to the shop and they paid $40 to have a luggage shop install a new zipper because I really liked the jacket and I still wear it seven years later. The third one was a Built jacket that I bought for my daughter who lives in San Francisco. When the zipper failed I tried to get the local Cycle Gear there to pay for a zipper replacement like my Cycle Gear did and they refused. Instead they offered to replace the jacket, which cost a heck of a lot more than replacing the zipper. She ended up getting a textile jacket instead. Other than the zipper, my Built leather jacket has held up well, although it has faded some. It is the most comfortable, best fitting motorcycle jacket I have owned, and the leather seems to be as thick as any of the four other leather jackets I have owned..

·
American Legion Rider
21,755 Posts
I sometimes moan and groan about having trouble getting mine unzipped. Maybe I should take the OP’s off his hands. NOT.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
My riding jacket ( Road Gear ) has a tab and velcro at the top of the zip.
My jacket and leather pants are made in Pakistan. Both of good quality.
I would like to know the position of the movable part of the zip, when it came undone.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,755 Posts
I
I would like to know the position of the movable part of the zip, when it came undone.
I have not been keeping up on this thread like I should so excuse my question. Did he answer my question about whether it was zipped all the way up or partially? I think that’s where you are headed isn’t it UK?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not to deviate from jackets too much, but I just read, "From 2014 to 2019, the firm tested 167 helmets with 105 (62.8 percent) failing the labeling portion and 72 (43.1 percent) helmets failing the performance trials." For DOT certified helmets. " Even if something is "certified" doesn't mean it'll stop injury. However, I'm sure this isn't news to most of you.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Seems odd any Motorcycle Gear dealer would sell leather motorcycle style coats/jackets, that wasn't protective for anyone engaged in that activity. If that's the case, next time I need a leather coat (probably never, unless I suddenly get skinny) I'll go to Burlington Coat Factory or Wal-Mart. ???

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
I
I have not been keeping up on this thread like I should so excuse my question. Did he answer my question about whether it was zipped all the way up or partially? I think that’s where you are headed isn’t it UK?
That is what I am after, same as you. With the slide all the way up, it is not easy for it to be tugged down from tension on the shoulder. With the slide one third the way down, I can visualize it being pulled down from a sideways tug.

Going to the helmet comment. DOT has its standards, they may not be the best standards. Up here way back when, CSA had its standards. They approved the early plastic helmets. One of those helmets fell off the counter and broke.
Snell is a better standard IMO, and in the opinion of most race tracks.
Within the DOT range of approved helmets, some must be better than others. A helmet from a name brand with Rossi graphics, should be better than a cheap Chinese unit. Hope so because I have one. A 46 that is.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
There is a thought in the back of my head that zippers have locks.. Now I don't know if that is a fact or not, but for some reason i believe that once you zip it up you should make sure the tab is firmly closed in the down position and that locks it.

......Or it could just be the voices in my head..............

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My post about leather quality was for general knowledge. The average shopper may not be aware, and may not know the difference. I also would have questions about why and how the zip came undone.
I have slid on dry pavement at much higher speeds, and only scratched the leather.

UK
Everyone please read the whole thread before posting questions I already answered or spoke of. Thank you. As I said in my original post, it was "fully zipped" so that should be pretty clear. Which means all the way to the top. There are other questions people are posting which I am sure I already covered if they would read the thread from the beginning. Here's more info also: the jacket was snug fit, like a glove. I had to have my wife help me pull it over my shoulders to remove it after every ride, after it I unzip it even. It was purchased in a store. They have them zipped up all the way and on hangers on racks. No disclosure tag in full sight. As I said before, it is hidden on the inside and you have to unzip the jacket and search for a folded up, ironed in half, little black tag that matches the color of the rest of the inside. I thought is was just a care tag. It is not readable without folding it back and forth because they iron it in the middle. Any disclosure stating that the jacket should not even be considered (thought of as) personal protection should be on the top, in plain view, even when zipped up, where the big red and white Bilt tag is! Diversion? Why ist that one big and bright? The jackets should not even be for sale as a motorcycle jacket in a motorcycle gear store. I have never heard of anyone else seeing this tag and not buying or even returning it. I'm guessing I'm the only one. That is what I'm trying to tell people. I'll bet nobody else here has ever searched a new jacket for all the tags and read them all before buying or using. And again, the leather is great. Barely received a few scuffs.
It is my experience with at least three different jackets by two brands, that leather goods made in Pakistan have crap zippers. One of these was a Tourmaster jacket where the zipper failed on a cross country trip and I had to find a luggage shop to get it replaced. Another one, my current Built brand, had a zipper failure in the first year I owned it. I took it back to the shop and they paid $40 to have a luggage shop install a new zipper because I really liked the jacket and I still wear it seven years later. The third one was a Built jacket that I bought for my daughter who lives in San Francisco. When the zipper failed I tried to get the local Cycle Gear there to pay for a zipper replacement like my Cycle Gear did and they refused. Instead they offered to replace the jacket, which cost a heck of a lot more than replacing the zipper. She ended up getting a textile jacket instead. Other than the zipper, my Built leather jacket has held up well, although it has faded some. It is the most comfortable, best fitting motorcycle jacket I have owned, and the leather seems to be as thick as any of the four other leather jackets I have owned..
I appreciate the OP posting this. We need reminders every now and then about how important gear is and how quality gear is worth the price.

A friend of mine had a similar incident with kevlar lined jeans. A high side at about 30 mph. The jeans tore (kevlar and all) and he suffered not-insignificant abrasions to his knee (he had the CE approved knee armor removed for some reason).

Seems to me kevlar is fine if you have a gentle low side that plops you down and you slide to a stop on some smooth asphalt. But if you are tossed a few feet in the air and go down hard on a roughly paved country road, the kevlar may not survive the shearing/tearing force of the impact. Leather only for me...
Thank you for the post. Our motorcycle pants with CE armor at the knees and hips save our lower half. The pants ripped at the knees, but the kevlar held up at about 30mph. My wife still suffered a broken leg, I suspect the bike fell on her.

·
Registered
501 Posts
That a product at Cycle Gear would say it is "not protective equipment" is pretty bad. That they wouldn't guarantee results make sense, but it seems inappropriate to dress a fashion jacket as a riding jacket and sell it at a riding gear store. Tag or no tag, that is just bad form.

I own a Bilt jacket, too. It's in the bike trunk. I wore it to commute today. Going to check the labels when I get to the parking lot!

Klim, in some cases, will send you new gear in exchange for your old gear if you crash it. They study the effects of the crash on the gear and try to improve the design. Aerostich has been tested by many riders and has a great reputation. But, these brands are in a totally different price bracket than Bilt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
There is a thought in the back of my head that zippers have locks.. Now I don't know if that is a fact or not, but for some reason i believe that once you zip it up you should make sure the tab is firmly closed in the down position and that locks it.

......Or it could just be the voices in my head..............
I just checked. It doesn't lock down like some do. It's just a big, floppy, loose pull tab. YKK Zipper. I assumed mine was going to stay up, with it zipped up to the top. During the crash the asphalt pulled down the arm/chest area on the leather, (which only received minor scuffs) then rolled the collar down over my shoulder and down my arm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm terribly sorry. I'm new the the forum and to posting. I keep trying to quote and post and I'm screwing it all up.
That someone else here had Bilt zippers fail too is really disconcerting. This jacket is basically a fake. It has the great fit, thick leather, CE rated pads, extra leather at the shoulders, elbows, many great features. It's not a fashion jacket. No one would buy this for its looks only. This jacket is really nice and heavy, and tight fitting and sold like it would be protection, at motorcycle gear stores. Everything you would come to expect in a great motorcycle jacket. But bad zippers? Disclosures you have to search for and not see on the front? Not to be considered protective equipment? It's the reason motorcyclists are buying them! They want to be protected! Get these off the shelves of motorcycle gear stores!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Anyone can miss things if they aren't looking. Some tags and labels are mandatory, others aren't. I read all the labels and tags as well as attachments BEFORE I wear it as they may make a difference as to whether I keep it or return it. If I'm shopping in a store I read, look, see before I purchase. There are no brick & mortars in my area so I mostly shop places like Cycle Gear and Revit online. They both have an excellent return policy.

No doubt you didn't read the tag in your jacket, it's not hidden, it clearly in plain sight by your photograph. I would easily believe others, like you, also do not read tags and then want to blame the manufacturer and/or store for your failure at due diligence. Would it have made any difference if you had read the tag before crashing? Of course, I know your answer in hind sight, but you are the person that didn't read the tag and you are the person that crashed causing your injury, yet you want to blame someone else for your injury. I have no skin in this game. What is the results of you contacting Cycle Gear and filing a complaint? Perhaps they will listen to you and place large 2x3 foot banners on a red background instructing you to read the tags before purchase.

There is a reply button below each post on the left, click on it and it will place the post as a quote in your reply.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just looked at the Abbot jacket in the Built catalog. It's a nice looking jacket but it looks from the picture that the zipper is pretty thin. That's how I remember the zipper on my jacket before I got it replaced, and if you look at the picture I posted of my Built jacket you can see that it is a large, metal zipper. It is also a YKK zipper, whereas Built does not say the Abbot zipper is a YKK. If a product uses YKK zippers, they usually say so, as it implies a quality product.

I also read the reviews of the jacket, and one of the reviews was obviously from the OP, and he stated the zipper was plastic.

I don't know if any of this is the reason why they put the disclaimer tag in the jacket; seems like it would have been just as easy to put a better zipper in.

Personally, I'm happy with my Built jacket after I replaced the zipper, especially since Cycle Gear paid for it. As I said before, it is the best fitting, most comfortable motorcycle jacket I have had, and after seven years it is well broken in and fits like an old pair of shoes.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts