Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Bilt Abbot leather motorcycle jacket from Cycle G**r to protect me while riding. I found out after a low speed crash and failure of the jacket to protect me that there is a small disclosure tag inside the jacket stating the jacket was not tested and therefore is "not considered personal protective equipment". I received major road rash because the fully zipped up jacket unzipped itself when the shoulder scraped the pavement on a lowside crash and it pulled over my shoulder 10" to expose my skin to the asphalt. This jacket is basically for looks only. I just want to warn everybody looking for a protective motorcycle jacket, that they buy one that has been tested. Look inside the jacket for a disclosure tag before you buy. If you already have one with the disclosure tag, get rid of it now! I never thought that a motorcycle clothing company would be so uncaring as to sell untested equipment that looks like it's protective equipment and then cover their a$$ with a hidden disclosure tag saying it's not. They refer to it as a "garment" .

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Not all leather is a single slice of cow hide. Sometimes it is a single very thin slice of cow hide, and two other very thin slices of something else. Like pig or lamb. They are laminated / glued together. It is hide, but fudges the word leather. Usually cheaper cost wise and quality wise. I do not know anything about the jacket the OP is talking about. And the pic is of the inside.

UK

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just took a look at Bilt jackets. Not my style, but I wanted some info on the jackets. Their top of the line leather bike jacket is only .07 to .08 mm thick. Even if your jacket stayed on, you still would have received a little road rash. All you have there is a 'fashion statement'. There are different grades of leather....Top, split, natural, etc. But most important is the thickness. Minimum thickness for a biker jacket should be 1.3 mm thick. The best jacket you can find should be 2.5 mm to 3 mm thick.

Sorry you learned a hard, painful lesson, but you're going to have to do a lot of research before your next purchase. You might want to start with a Schott Perfecto. They are expensive, but there are used ones out there for reasonable prices. And there are many other jackets of different makes with just about the same quality as the Perfecto.

·
Ace Tuner
2,504 Posts
If the jacket doesn't have extra padding at critical points like the shoulders and elbows, I wouldn't buy it. Also pockets for hard armor in those places, plus the back, is a must for me.
As already mentioned, thick leather too.

S F

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not all leather is a single slice of cow hide. Sometimes it is a single very thin slice of cow hide, and two other very thin slices of something else. Like pig or lamb. They are laminated / glued together. It is hide, but fudges the word leather. Usually cheaper cost wise and quality wise. I do not know anything about the jacket the OP is talking about. And the pic is of the inside.

UK
I'm sorry you misunderstood the post. The leather wasn't the problem. As I stated in the original post, the jacket zipper unzipped itself during the crash. That's a major fail. I'm trying to warn people of a specific problem. People think that this Bilt Abbot jacket is going to protect them. That is the problem and they are buying it as protective equipment. It is not. Bilt says it is not, but in an obscure way, with a little tag inside. I thought it was going to protect me because a motorcycle shop sells it. But Bilt says don't think it will protect you. It is not a motorcycle jacket for protection. It only looks like one, with really good leather and CE rated shock protection pads. They are selling it untested and are saying so. They don't know if it will protect you at all because they never tested it. The pic I uploaded is to show the location of the disclaimer tag stating that the garment has not been tested and therefore is not consider protective equipment and that they are not liable for anything arising out of its use. I uploaded the pic of the inside of the jacket so if you have a Bilt jacket, you can know where to look for the disclaimer tag. The cowhide itself did not fail. There are very minor scuffs on the outside if the jacket. The zipper failed to remain zipped up and it unzipped during the crash and the jacket pulled down over my shoulder. Bilt is saying that you are not to consider this jacket as protective equipment. I'm saying it is for looks only. I tested the jacket and it failed, just as Bilt may have thought it would, hence the disclaimer that it is not considered protective equipment. All the leather in the world won't protect you if the zipper pulls open the jacket and it's ripped off of you. Buy one that was tested and passed. I'm beating a dead horse here, but I hope my point of the post is realized. To save others from injury and not to think this jacket is protection.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ok. The zipper failed. What brand of zipper was it? I don't understand why Bilt would put a disclaimer on their product just to cover a sub standard zipper. I still think (from the little research I've done) that the whole jacket is sub standard. .07 mm thick? Really? That wouldn't hold up if you had to get off at 60mph.

And thank you for the warning. Things like this are appreciated around here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just took a look at Bilt jackets. Not my style, but I wanted some info on the jackets. Their top of the line leather bike jacket is only .07 to .08 mm thick. Even if your jacket stayed on, you still would have received a little road rash. All you have there is a 'fashion statement'. There are different grades of leather....Top, split, natural, etc. But most important is the thickness. Minimum thickness for a biker jacket should be 1.3 mm thick. The best jacket you can find should be 2.5 mm to 3 mm thick.

Sorry you learned a hard, painful lesson, but you're going to have to do a lot of research before your next purchase. You might want to start with a Schott Perfecto. They are expensive, but there are used ones out there for reasonable prices. And there are many other jackets of different makes with just about the same quality as the Perfecto.
I have to disagree. I did a lot of research before my purchase. Research won't show any advertised jacket, including Bilt's with a disclaimer online or on the price tag stating it's not for personal protection. It was hidden inside the jacket. I would not have received any road rash whatsoever if the jacket stayed on. There are only light scuffs on the outside of the jacket. The leather is great, even where it slid on the pavement. At the shoulder is multiple layers of thick leather, not just one, and thick CE rated pads inside the shoulder. This is a very heavy jacket and the leather is really good. That's what fooled me when I bought it. But the zipper failed. The zipper. The weak link is the zipper. And I'm pissed I found a disclaimer in any motorcycle jacket that would state "Not to be considered protective equipment". My wife's Bilt thick leather jacket with CE armor in the shoulder is the same and it hardly has a scratch, yet it came unzipped also, so it's not the leather. People are reading the post are pointing to the leather. That's not the problem here. The painful lesson I learned is Not all leather jackets are tested for protection and who knew of such a thing? If someone is looking for a motorcycle jacket to protect them, look for a hidden disclaimer first and don't buy a jacket the maker and seller won't back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. The zipper failed. What brand of zipper was it? I don't understand why Bilt would put a disclaimer on their product just to cover a sub standard zipper. I still think (from the little research I've done) that the whole jacket is sub standard. .07 mm thick? Really? That wouldn't hold up if you had to get off at 60mph.

And thank you for the warning. Things like this are appreciated around here.
Zipper is Vision YKK 8VS. I am thinking that it is too big an slick. I would think a metal zipper would have more grip on itself when you pull on the shoulders of the leather jacket. When I zip it up all the way to the top and yank on the shoulder pads in opposite directions, the zipper unzips instantly down about 8" or more. Fail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, as I stated before, the leather is not the problem. The whole jacket is not sub par. The leather is very thick all over, not .07. 1.0, with CE rated shock pads and multiple leather layers in the usual danger areas. The jacket comes unzipped by itself during a crash if you fall on your side and hit your shoulder. The leather is great and does not hardly get scuffed. If they tested it, they could have changed the zipper and it would have been great protection jacket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a bummer man. Hindsight is always....
Yeah, who besides me would have thought that a brand name thick leather motorcycle jacket would not be tested by the manufacturer and then sold to millions of people with a disclaimer that it's not for protection? There are people out there riding without this knowledge and wearing this jacket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry I'm a little frustrated here. The jacket has all that. Thick leather, CE padded at the critical points. Extra leather. I tested it in real world tip over sliding crash at 30 mph and slid on the asphalt. Great leather! Hardly a scratch! I can wear it tomorrow and nobody will know it's really defective. The problem is the zipper comes unzipped by itself and then the asphalt pulls it off of you during the slide. How many other jackets are out there with that problem??? Everyone is so infatuated with the leather on jackets and the thickness when they purchase. Nobody thinks about the zipper! I know I didn't and I bet no one else does. Just so everybody knows, the leather is not the problem with the Abbot Jacket. The problem is the zipper. Geez, I keep having to repeat myself and nobody listens. They just keep talking about leather thickness. Do this, take your jackets out, zip them up all the way, grab each shoulder of the jacket and yank outward a couple of times. If your zipper comes unzipped, it failed. Save yourself a lot of pain and suffering and money and do this test on your own jacket, before you crash!

If the jacket doesn't have extra padding at critical points like the shoulders and elbows, I wouldn't buy it. Also pockets for hard armor in those places, plus the back, is a must for me.
As already mentioned, thick leather too.

S F

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was looking at another motorcycle gear website and found another disclaimer. Basically saying they aren't responsible for any of their products even if they are aware of a problem. I never thought I would have had to look for that first, while shopping. I won't be buying from them. The next motorcycle jacket I look at, before I buy, I'm going to zip it up all the way and yank on the shoulders in opposite directions. If the zipper unzips itself, it's a fail. Everyone should do that test.

·
American Legion Rider
21,789 Posts
I'm going to zip it up all the way and yank on the shoulders in opposite directions.
So the failed one was zipped up all the way? Or was it like many, only partially zipped up? That wasn't clear in your original post.

·
Ace Tuner
2,504 Posts
I have an old Teknic (Defender model) jacket that we got on closeout then got stuck with when we stopped selling garments.
I'm sure it has been discontinued for several years now. Along with the required protection it has a front metal zipper, an external flap with Velcro and a row of snaps all the way down the flap on the front closure along with two snaps up on the stand up collar.
That thing is a pain to put on which I'm sure is why it was on closeout and now long discontinued.
Several people, including me, tried it on but gave up before it was fully fastened. Oh yeah, it has a built-in "neck up" with 3 snaps too. What a pain to do all that just to put your jacket on. No way was anybody gonna buy that jacket.
It was still on the rack so I gave it a test ride. Once on the bike and in the wind that is the absolute best jacket I've ever seen. It is windproof and also has waterproofing that actually works.
Anyway...
Years back I saw them on eBay. Did a quick search just now, can't find them on eBay or google.
I could find Teknic so maybe they have something that at least would provide a solid front closure.
An external flap (over the zipper) with snaps might be the answer you're looking for. A good metal zipper alone might work too.
I believe we all understand the problem now. Thanks for the warning and information.

Happy jacket hunting,
S F

Reactions: ketchboy
1 - 20 of 47 Posts