Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old school leather jacket, I've had it since I was a teen and it still fits but I was a big kid lol, and it makes me feel more confident as a new rider that if I went sliding across the pavement I'm as protected as I can be. But it is hot as F in high temps and it feels like it weighs 20 lbs, I'm big and so is the jacket. I'd like to find something that is breathable and as comfortable/cool as it can be in 95 plus weather but still offers me some protection/confidence. I like the newer jackets compared to the old school leather with their elbow pads etc... and if I could find one that I can wear in the heat that would be great, I have the leather and I don't get cold easily so staying warm is not really a factor for this one. Any suggestions on jackets and places to buy them? I've already dropped a bunch of dimes since I bought my bike so cost is an issue too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I hear the Mesh jackets are the way to go. I am also new to riding and feel more confident with my leather jacket on. But I don't like the feeling of it being stuck to me like glue in hot weather. Temps are starting to cool off now and I'm looking for something a bit warmer for the cooler nights, as leather really don't keep me warm, I can where a hoodie underneath of it, but I've gained a few pounds since I brought the jacket years ago, so I can't put too many more layers under it.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
My husband and I have Olympia Airglide II mesh jackets. They have a lining for cold weather that can be removed and a rain liner to keep you dry. They have some pretty good armor. We have light grey colored ones and they are a LOT cooler than leather jackets. We still get warm in them when doing a lot of stopping but as long as we're moving they let a lot of air thru.

I know there are cheaper ones out there, but we wanted the rain and cold weather liners so when we were on trips we didn't have to carry as much other gear.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I bought a new old stock Firstgear Tex Mesh jacket on eBay at a very nice price. It offers lots of air flow, but has a liner for when temps dip and it works fairly well. I hope to never find out how well it works in a crash.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I bought a Bilt Mesh Jacket with a zip-out liner for $100.00 that has pads built into the material on the elbows and shoulders.

Looks fine for a Cruiser style ride, and is comfortable.

I also found a ventilated "leather-like" thin Jacket at Kohl's for riding on the REALLY hot days. I'm sure it will not protect me as well as REAL "leather" would, but it's "good enough" for me.

-Soupy

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
This is what I use and it works well. It has a removable zip in windbreaker/rain jacket underneath. On real cool mornings I just wear a sweatshirt underneath. The mesh works really well. On particularly hot sticky days, I can actually feel a little sweat where the armor, and even my cell phone is in my pocket.:biggrin:
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/Fly-Coolpro-II-Mesh-Jacket

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
AGV perforated leather jacket has been good for up to the mid-eighties. Better, in fact, than my Sliders 3-season mesh.

Once it gets around 90, I will a little uncomfortable no matter what I do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In Phoenix - wearing a Phoenix

I commute daily (~40 Miels Round trip) in Phoenix. When the leather jacket gets too hot (May - September) I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Mesh Jacket w/armor.

Fortunately I've not tried out the "slide" function as of yet ... but the jacket is actually cooler than without! It blocks the sun and blocks the hot wind. Believe me, the sun and wind are extra hot when the temps are between 105 and 115 ... it's a blast furnace. The mesh jacket and full face helmet make it bearable.

The Joe Rocket jacket also has a water resistant zip-in liner which is nice once the temps cool down in spring & fall. When the morning temps fall below 40 degrees, I switch back to leather.

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
--

I have a Joe Rocket mesh with the removable liner, too. If I were to do it over, I would try to get a lighter color one as the black is good for not showing dirt or grease, but does absorb sunlight.

--

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have had great use, since 2008 ? of First Gear Meshtex.
Ok its just about clapped out now, but hopefully it will last another season.
Beware one thing !
Do not get fooled by the armor in a mesh jacket !
You might have to remove sleeve armor!
I wear Strap On, forearm and elbow protectors, as well as knee & shin.
(mine are Dianese.)
Because, the nylon mesh will melt away, in any kind of slide.
That, will allow the armor to slide round and flap in the breeze, while YOU wear away SKIN & BONE as you merrily slide along.

As previously stated, it does not matter what you wear, if you hit something hard. Then bits inside, break or get amputated !

On a different note, but still on "Nylon" Jackets. Having sailed a lot of ocean miles, I do know how fast the sun can destroy the integrity of Polypropylene & similar man made ropes, So ideally, a Man Made Fibre Jacket should probably be changed every 5 yrs or so.
Take Care Out There.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I also use a Joe Rocket mesh for hot weather. In March I am still wearing my HD FXRG fabric jacket. It is warm enough to take me down to around 20ºF riding in comfort.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Scooter riders don't hit the asphalt any softer than crotch rocketeers, Soupy. But for the sake of PUBLIC DECENCY I try and keep a jacket over the top, AT LEAST when I'm on the Vespa.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tourmaster Intake. It has 2 different liners so you can use it year round, but they stay home in warm weather. When the sun goes down and it starts to cool, I use the jacket of my rain suit as a windbreaker. All you need for summer riding.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts