Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you wait to let your motor warm up on the Fuel Injected models?

I find that if I start the bike, (after waiting for the engine light to go out) and take off right away, first gear can be a bit stubborn. it kinda "chug-a-lugs" a bit, forcing me to give it more throttle.

I like to give the bike time to warm, but I'm not into wasting gas either. Where's the happy medium?

I realize of course that it will depend on how hot or cold it is outside, to some extent. Obviously I let a bike warm up longer in the colder months.

-Soupy

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I don't let my bike sit idle and warm up. I start it, wait for the oil pressure to rise and leave, riding it conservatively til' it warms up a bit.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you know when your oil pressure has risen enough? What indicators do you use?

-Soupy

·
8,665 Posts
How do you know when your oil pressure has risen enough? What indicators do you use?

-Soupy
My oil pressure gauge.;)
It shouldn't take more than a couple dozen seconds for oil pressure to come up, if you're worried, give it a minute, if it's not up by then you "had" a problem.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On MY bike, (so far as I know) there IS no "oil pressure gauge."

The instructions were to turn on the start button, turn the ignition switch on, and wait for the "engine light" (icon) to go out, before attempting to start the bike.

I guess I'd assume that once that "engine light" icon goes out, the oil pressure should be "up" to where it needs to be.

After that, is when I notice that the bike is a little rough in 1st gear, but I don't push it.

-Soupy

·
8,665 Posts
You have the little oil can icon with KOEO correct? If it goes out after you start it, you should have at least the minimum amount of oil pressure Harley specifies for it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I think of it, I suppose I DO have one of those oil can icons, yes. If it DIDN'T go out, I'd worry!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
A friend with a FI bike won't move it until the idle smooths out, because he doesn't want to deal with the chugging. I don't have an FI bike currently, but just baby my bike through the uneven running after a brief warm-up; I'd do the same with his bike, if he'd let me. The engine warms up faster in use than just idling, so as soon as it's ready to move, I go.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I will start the bike and let it run while I put on my helmet, gloves and glasses. This gives it a few moments to warm up before setting off.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I don't let my bike sit idle and warm up. I start it, wait for the oil pressure to rise and leave, riding it conservatively til' it warms up a bit.

This.

When you turn the ignition on, and flip the kill to run, you can hear the fuel pump kick on. the fuel pump will shut off, then the engine light goes out, I hit start.

After a few seconds, I drop it into first, and ride on.

I take it real easy through my neighborhood, then ride normal.

It doesn't take long for an air cooled engine to warm up.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
This.

When you turn the ignition on, and flip the kill to run, you can hear the fuel pump kick on. the fuel pump will shut off, then the engine light goes out, I hit start.

^^^:71baldboy:

·
Registered
257 Posts
This.

Works the exact same way on my Honda and on a 07' injected Street Bob I used to have. Also if you don't like the initial hard clunk when you drop it into 1st gear when cold, hold the clutch in about about 15 seconds before you put it in gear and it will drop into 1st a lot smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
5-10 mins warm-up. I start the bike while I am putting on my gear. I usually can't find some piece of stuff, so the bike warms up pretty well (while I am searching in the garage).

dT

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
With the ZX9R, I wait until I can shut the choke off, which is roughly 2-3 minutes on a dead cold engine. With the XV1000, its more like 30 seconds to maybe a minute.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This.

Yep, that's the way I do it. I just notice that 1st gear is a big chuggish at first is all, and I don't want to force it.

That "whirring" noise I hear is the Fuel Pump? I thought it was the Oil Pump.......thanks for that clarification.

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
One old Tried and True method is when the Front Jug is warm to the Touch you are Ready to Roll out but still take it easy getting through the gears unless you live right on the Highway should be fine after a couple minutes riding it easy before gunning it up to Highway Speed ..

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
On a bike that old and since you have no idea how it was cared for, you might want to get a bottle of Star Tron and run several tanks of fuel with that in it. Some use Seafoam. You might also want to put some new plugs in it unless they did that before selling it. Just make sure they are gaped correctly. Two cheap things that "might" help with chugging. I'm assuming you mean some coughing and spitting type running.:confused: Mine doesn't do that but then I have 1/2 mile of my own gravel drive then 3 miles more of gravel that I only get to 3rd gear on before I get to blacktop where I can open it up. I can't see or hear yours and have no idea what you are doing. Could you be pushing things too much too early? It's a Harley after all not a Honda and they are different machines and aren't for everyone. Wish I could hear it really.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hog: I'll see if I can get my hands on some Seafoam or Star Tron, and change the plugs, just on principle, although the Dealership DID say that they went thru the bike to check it, and make sure it was up to date on all its Service scheduled needs.

Given the fact that the right front bulb (which apparently is supposed to be constantly "on" as a running light) is out, (still signals, but is not "constantly on") I wonder how much they really DID check it out.

Anyway, I'll do a video this weekend, of the sound (perhaps Saturday) when it is started, for your benefit. I noted yesterday that I actually had one "backfire" yesterday, in the first mile or so. Didn't alarm me really, but I noted it.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
No need to do that for me. I can't tell anything from a sound bite on YouTube on anything. I only have one functioning ear so have some trouble with live sounds. But maybe others here can help.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts