Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so here's the deal. I really don't no much about what to look for as far as bikes go. Only thing i know is that i prefer a crotch rocket over the harley style or chopper bikes. I've been leaning more towards Kawasaki, Honda or Suzuki. But if any of them are brands i should stay away from or if there are others that could be better, i'd like to know. It's why i'm here. Aside from brand, clearly i'm not just gunna jump into getting a brand new bike. So any advice on buying used? mileage/cost etc. I'm more used to shopping around for cars where 50k mileage sounds like almost new as opposed to that on a bike could be quite a lot. again, i dunno. so, any advice and/or personal knowledge on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
-Thanks

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've had my first bike for just over two years now, but I bought her new. 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R. Being a new rider, I did not want to get too much power (imagine bike taking off, me sitting on tush on pavement LOL); but when I sat the Ninja 250 it just didn't FEEL right to me, almost too small (I'm 5'5"). I sat a couple of cruisers but didn't like them; tried a Suzuki GS500 and could barely keep my toes on the ground (seat "saddle" is wider than that of a Kawasaki). Sat the Ninja 500 and fell in love.

All three brands are good; you need to go to a dealership (preferably a multi-line one) and sit as many as you can, see what feels right to you. One thing to consider is maintenance costs; I found out the hard way that the battery for a Kawasaki sportbike is about a THIRD the cost of the battery for a Yamaha sportbike. :eek: The guy at Cycle Gear sold me my $45 battery then told me how the Yammy battery he just sold cost $150. Ouch.

For used bike values, check out KBB Motorcycle. Enter the year, make and model and it will give you a rough idea of how much the bike is worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tend to be a fan of old Japanese bikes and cafe racers, but do know just enought about "crotch rockets" to give my opinion.

I see everyone riding ninjas around my town and they get old really fast, they all look the same to me. I personally am a huge Honda fan and love their new 250 they came out with, but of course that's a small engine, prob not what you're looking for. My friend is really into Yamaha's and swares by them. I personally do not know much about Yamahas, but they do look nice.

If money isn't an issue I would definently check out Aprilla, Ducatti, Triumph, or Moto Guzi.

Just my opinions. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the reason one sees so many Ninjas is that they're good value for the money, and they make them in enough variety to fit just about any rider, regardless of experience level.

For a newish rider, the Ninja 250 or 500 is near the top of my recommendations list. It has the 3 main components I look for in a bike: Easy to ride, easy to work on, reputation for reliability. Plus, the Ninja's riding position is more like a standard, so you don't have to ride in that uncomfortable crouch.

For a little older bike, I like the Yamaha Seca II 600.

And, if you don't mind stretching back to the 80s, how about a Honda Nighthawk 700 S. Hard to beat the reliability and ease of mainteance on a Nighthawk. But that may not be 'sporty' enough for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.