Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to buy my first used motorcycle and I'm not an expert on buying used bikes from private sellers. I found a really good deal which I thought was too good to be true, but I went and checked the bike out. It's a Suzuki GSXR 600, 2007 with 8k miles. We agreed on a 4k price, but the bike does need some work. It has clearly been dropped on both sides and scraped up. The clutch lever is broken from a fall, and the bike needs a new rectifier. I checked the VIN and it matches the title, and has a clean history of no accidents/salvage or theft. Do you guys think this is a good deal. I'm not a mechanic, and don't want to get duped. My friend with me and he said it runs fine, and it looks okay. What do you guys think?: postimg.org/gallery/kt7hlxw8/

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think that is a lot of money to spend on a bike that is beat up. By the time you have it fixed and clean, you could have just bought a clean bike for $5500

BTW, you didn't say if this is your first street bike or your first bike period.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This is my first sport bike in the states, and second bike ever. A few years ago I owned and learned on a smaller 150cc bike while on vacation overseas for a few months.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think you could find a better bike for your $4000. Even if it meant going a little bit older bike, you are better off with a clean bike. Last year when l bought my SV, l searched far and wide to find one that hadn't been dropped. For every guy like you who sees a dropped bike as a discount, there are 10 like me who will pass because they want one that has never been on the ground. So unless you see this bike as one that you will love and keep for a long time, l recommend that you pass on it, because it won't be easy to move if you decide to go in a different direction. And when people see it, they won't say, "Nice bike!" They will say, "Cool bike, but it got all scraped up. Too bad." :(

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
If it were just the clutch lever and road rash, that would be the right price.

Needs a new rectifier? Get a quote from a dealer on replacing that and have the seller knock that off the price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chop the seller's price or look elsewhere. How long have you been searching for a bike? Don't just jump on the best deal you see on your first search. At that price you can have a solid GSXR 750, in the Miami area at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts