Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wade,
Being a new member here, I can not send you a return email until I have 15 posts from the pop up I get.

I tried to send you a reply email but cant.

Feel free to call me between 10am and 8pm at:
two five six, - 48nine -eight six two three

I'm interested on making the trailer run for you, but would like to discuss expenses more in depth.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Why didn't you post 11 more times and then PM him instead of putting this in the public forum?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why didn't you post 11 more times and then PM him instead of putting this in the public forum?

Dang guy, sorry to pea in your cheerios.....(no I'm not).....

You sure know how to make a new guy feel welcome.
Keep up the practice.
I see you've been a member since 2012 and only have 3 friends.
I can fully understand why. with remarks like that.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts

I wasn't aware that this was Facebook...

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
The only thing lamer than making a public post regarding a private matter is getting all butthurt when someone mentions proper online forum etiquette in a polite manner.

·
Nightfly
4,029 Posts

You sure know how to make a new guy feel welcome.
Keep up the practice.
So... we have a noobie who is impatient because of the number of posts needed to send a PM. Guess this one wants his private number out in the public forum. If you had one smidgen of etiquette on any forum you would have known how to proceed properly. Public placement of personal phone number is not a smart thing to do

Peeing in the cereal bowl of a long time members is not condusive to the beginning of good relations among our members. Sigmga.40 is a good guy and his observation is right on the money, this ain't FaceBook and most on here ain't dialin..... well you can finish that statement.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
But we are a friendly bunch, even if we don't have all kinds of friends on our friends list. Heck, I think of almost every regular Forum poster as a "Forum" friend. There are some that I know would be really good friends if we lived closer and could hang out together. I would so love to sit around a bonfire, drink in hand with them.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
OP ... you are lucky that this is a general MC forum.
you cant believe the kind of cr*p that would descend on your head ... if this was a forum for motorcycle cruisers. Hahahahahaha!!

just sign up ... post a few messages ... get in touch privately. it aint hard.
the Motorcycle forums are NOT a place for the silly crap that goes on elsewhere. we try to maintain some "normal" behavior here.

you are welcome. just go about things ... in a normal way.

dT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So... we have a noobie who is impatient because of the number of posts needed to send a PM. Guess this one wants his private number out in the public forum. If you had one smidgen of etiquette on any forum you would have known how to proceed properly. Public placement of personal phone number is not a smart thing to do

Peeing in the cereal bowl of a long time members is not condusive to the beginning of good relations among our members. Sigmga.40 is a good guy and his observation is right on the money, this ain't FaceBook and most on here ain't dialin..... well you can finish that statement.
You are so off track here.
Look, a stranger (long time member here) sent me an email asking me if I would be interested in helping him. The system here will not let a newbie send an email (reply) until they have 15 posts. (so what, I understand this and why).

I wanted to send this person a return answer ASAP and not wait until I had 15 posts. I did not have his phone number or any other way to contact him.
All I was trying to do was send this man a quick answer / response no different than if it was you expecting a response.
I didn't have time to post more posts. I was trying to be POLITE and respond quickly to this man in need. So I posted a thread titled to this man and no one else. I do see now, that if I would have paged down on main menu, I could have posted my thread in the "off topic" section.. shame on me for not paging down far enough.

And yes, I posted my phone number out on the public forum. Being a moderator on another motorcycle web site for over 9 years I know the consequences of doing so. But that is why I (and many others) spell it out, not all numbers. I (and others) have done this for years and I personally have never ever had an issue from anyone by doing so ..until now.

I don't care if Sigma.40 is a long time member. All long time members should know better than to insult new members right off the bat with their very first post. He could have 1st, welcomed me to the site, then state that hey, just a heads up here; you posted this in the wrong place and your thread my be moved to the proper section (&%*(^&%) or it may be deleted by one of the moderators or admin people. Again, welcome to the site.

But no, his first post to me was Why didn't you post 11 more times and then PM him instead of putting this in the public forum?

That pissed me off, and it led me to fall to his level and I fired right back.
I should not have done that no more than he should have, but hey it's to late for that, and being the new guy on the block of course, I get jumped on.

Look,
I came in peace.....only wanting to lend a helping hand to someone in need, not to get slammed dunked by anyone.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"I posted my phone number out on the public forum. Being a moderator on another motorcycle web site for over 9 years I know the consequences of doing so. But that is why I (and many others) spell it out, not all numbers."

I'm not jumping on you, but I'm genuinely curious how spelling it out would help.

I do know a few Bikers that can read.

Or at least sort of sound words out.

:biggrin:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'm genuinely curious how spelling it out would help.
It keeps software ROBOTS from scanning the Internet collecting names and phone numbers. Which they then sell to boiler rooms, telemarketers, spammers, etc.

I do the EXACT same thing anytime I post on Craigslist, e.g.

Call me at (97 l ) 6 feve nein 798 (four plus three) Now add one to the six.

Notice I placed an "L" and not a one in the area code, intentionally misspelled five... ***

It keeps not only robots, but people who are NOT native speakers of english from compiling cross referenced lists of names, emails, and phone #s for a penny apiece.

As well as people too stupid or too drunk to do business with anyway...

The NSA, well, I figure they've already GOT a picture of the birthmark on my right testicle...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It keeps software ROBOTS from scanning the Internet collecting names and phone numbers. Which they then sell to boiler rooms, telemarketers, spammers, etc.

I do the EXACT same thing anytime I post on Craigslist, e.g.

Call me at (97 l ) 6 feve nein 798 (four plus three) Now add one to the six.

Notice I placed an "L" and not a one in the area code, intentionally misspelled five... ***

It keeps not only robots, but people who are NOT native speakers of english from compiling cross referenced lists of names, emails, and phone #s for a penny apiece.

As well as people too stupid or too drunk to do business with anyway...

The NSA, well, I figure they've already GOT a picture of the birthmark on my right testicle...

I just knew there had to be one on board here. Thanks

Anyway, I tried to contact you the best way I knew how to give you a quick response. Sorry it didn't work out.
Hope our roads cross sometime! Until then, ride safe.
Eck

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Glad to hear you think you are safe Eck. Sorry, but if I felt like making your life miserable I could, with everything that you handed out. I think that is the point others are trying to make for you. Sorry if you think we are all brain dead but it just ain't so. I was a senior reactor operator licensed by the NRC before I retired. Others here have equally impressive credentials. We are no way slugs that cannot interpret your flimsy add a 1 to that 6 statement as meaning use a 7. If you want any kind of security, try using the inherent system here and wait until you have enough posts to use the PM system. It might cost you another 10 minutes finding threads that interest you enough to post, but is that worse than the stupid stuff you are doing?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'll be down in Huntsville on the 1st to retrieve my truck and scooter. If weather's good we could perhaps get in a ride. You ever gone the back way down Green Mountain to ... Owens X Roads? Back way UP to Monte Sano?

I suppose I could load the scoot in the back of the truck for the trip up to St. Louis, pick up the trailer, and continue on back to Colorado. Can't see spending $500 to have someone retrieve it for me...more worried about the seller backing out, wanted to get the deal FINI.

Sorry about the raggedy-azz response you got here. Not like there's limited space on the internet, or anyone HAS to click on, and comment on a post clearly intended for someone else. Even if it's mis-located...

Anyone that uptight must never ride! Keyboard commando! (throwing fuel on the fire, which is what us professional writers do for fun...)

I initially didn't respond to this thread hoping it would simply fade away into old-post oblivion but obviously THAT's not going to happen!

So, for all the REST of us....welcome to the Forum! What part of Huntspatch do you live in? I grew up in S.E.

·
Nightfly
4,029 Posts
Glad to hear you think you are safe Eck. Sorry, but if I felt like making your life miserable I could, with everything that you handed out. I think that is the point others are trying to make for you. Sorry if you think we are all brain dead but it just ain't so. I was a senior reactor operator licensed by the NRC before I retired. Others here have equally impressive credentials. We are no way slugs that cannot interpret your flimsy add a 1 to that 6 statement as meaning use a 7. If you want any kind of security, try using the inherent system here and wait until you have enough posts to use the PM system. It might cost you another 10 minutes finding threads that interest you enough to post, but is that worse than the stupid stuff you are doing?
+1 Oldman, excellent.....
I don't believe it's necessary to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. That only shows how shaky your position is.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I was a senior reactor operator licensed by the NRC before I retired.
Ahh, I'll bet you know my GF's brother, Tim Morse. Tims a Wingding. He helps with a lot of restarts, writes procedures. Has worked at Augusta, Oak Ridge, Brown's Ferry, Turkey Point, Clinton Ill, somewhere in AR.

As a high school intern with TVA I told him he had to make the maintenance guys quit using candles for leak detection at BF (and use the canned smoke beekeepers use instead) but did they listen? Noooooo!

http://safetymatters.aonfpe.com/2012/Volume-1/historical-events.aspx

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
Hey, this site threw me for a loop too when I first signed in. The rules made no sense at all. I understand it now but noobs may not get it so do the best they can. You internet/forum savvy folks need to give people a break. Okay, now you can jump on me for awhile.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts