Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Infedel
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike in March, been working on it ever since in my spare time , heres a brief history of the earlier clutch issue:
94' vulcan 1500 classic 88 with 14xxx miles on it the guy said it had sat for a year and was riding it , so I rode it home ,the clutch was grabby in first, by the time i got home (11 miles) the clutch stoped working so I opened the master cylinder and there were more solids than liquids in there (this thing sat for way more than a year) so i cleaned the hose , master and slave and put fresh fluid, blead it.

As Ive been working on it i've taken it on several short rides to listen and feel it out (work seafoam thru) 1-3 miles at the most.

The grabby issue is gone the new problem is that when the bike gets hot , after about 10 miles, the clutch wont grab at all , when its cold or after it cools down it works perfictly Im using Valveoline 10w 40 for bikes with wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
You're saying the clutch slips after it gets hot? Check the master cylinder reservoir for a tiny return hole, and make sure it's not blocked. Many MC recervoirs have two holes in the bottom, a larger one to fill the cylinder, and a much smaller one to release any residual pressure from the line.

·
Infedel
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks WintrSol , Yep only when its hot it takes about a half mile from when I notice its slipping till it stops grabing completly, I can shift it to 1st or 2nd but it wont pull, this Master cylinder has two ports, Ill check into it tomorrow after work if I have the energy, the heat has been brutal down here. Could the inside of the hose swell maybe? I read that somewhere too.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I've never heard of a hose that swelled enough to seal off the slave cylinder; doesn't mean it couldn't happen. If your hoses are old enough to suspect that, replacements aren't all that expensive.

·
Infedel
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I checked it out today the small port was clogged . Ill let ya know what happens as soon as I can put some miles on it.

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
i would say check your oil engine oil level - and type.
could well be that the clutch is done and the plates are ready for changing..
easy and cheap enough... if you lean the bike over far enough you can do it without having to change oil.

btw never believe a word a seller tells you about a bike lol... it could've been round the clock and had a new odo off ebay.
if the mc was clogged and the clutch so bad i doubt he's been riding it for a long time.

could just be you need to keep on bleeding it.
if you're not sure have a look in the free manuals thread and see if there's a shop manual for your bike.

·
Infedel
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It worked!

Yeah Benny live and learn , it was an impulse buy , way out of character for me , But I'm making it work, it was a pretty good buy too.

And Wintersol hit the nail on the head! the clutch works just fine now I got it good and hot today and no problems, thanks again Wintersol

@ nogoa, as I have no reference for this bike sound wise and really dont trust the local shop not to rip me off I have a question for ya , when your 1500 gets warm does the water pump make enough noise to draw your attention ,or if you weren't used to the sound already would it ? it seems a little loud not grindy just noisy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't noticed water pump noise. All I normally hear is lifter chatter and the fan is pretty loud, but I was told that is all normal for the 1500's. A cool website with links to others for the Vulcan is http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm Lots of fixits and mods as well as general info .

·
Infedel
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks nogoa, I've gotten to know gadgets site pretty well since I bought this bike, Ill probably change the water pump anyway just to be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know it's an old thread but would this issue warrant a slave and master to be changed if the master isn't clogged along with the clutch? First time with a hydraulic clutch

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,303 Posts
When was the last time you changed the fluid? Also what kind of engine oil are you using? Is it motorcycle specific?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When was the last time you changed the fluid? Also what kind of engine oil are you using? Is it motorcycle specific?
If that was to me I just got the bike so I'm not sure. She sat for 2 years prior. What I found is it uses 10w40 which I will be changing this week

1 - 14 of 14 Posts