Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cb500 VS Vulcan EN500

Im a begginer rider, and in the market for a new bike. I am aware that i am comparing two very different bikes and there are reasons for that

My bike is going to be my main form of transportation, I dont own a car and will not in the near year or so.

The reason im comparing these two bikes is simple. I love the vulcan 500 for its looks. But i need to know more about its reliability.
I really want to hear that the vulcan is realiable enough to be an everyday commuter, my commutes arent long at all. about 20-30 miles a day or so. but there are days where i want to go out of town so that number can go up to 60 minute rides at a time.

Now on the the cb500. i have heard much praise about it as it is reliable nimble and fun. but there is one thing that bothers me. Its just plain old ugly, and thats a shame. I love the sound and look of the vulcan and that just doesnt exist here. But of course that that is just not as important as the reliabilty.

These are the only two bikes im looking at because they are in my price range and they are the power toppers for my license (A2 license). i am aware i will need to restrict both of these when i get them but thats okay.
The vulcan is slighly more expensive but i can deal with it. If you havent picked up yet, i much rather have the vulcan as i preffer cruisers but i will go for the cb if its is significantly better for what i need

The models im looking at are this
There are 3 vulcans:
1994 - Dont know much about this one $3140
1998 - 78,000 km on it $3400
1997 - 60,000 km on it $3750

There are two cb500
Both from 2000
one with 35,000 km on it $2500
One with 45,000 km on it $2750

AS you can see the cb500 are quite a bit cheaper, but again i rather spend the extra for the cruiser. This is my first bike.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Motorcycle reliability depends on how well they are maintained. Buying an older motorcycle like those listed is going to be hit or miss, depending on how well they have been cared for.

Having them checked out by a competent mechanic before buying is a great idea. It may cost a little up front, but can save a lot in potential problems.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Dods is right on. You might learn even more about each if you ask the owners if they would take the bike to a mechanic of your choice for inspection that you pay for. The one that says sure, you bet, that's the one you can pretty much bet will be cared for. He has no fear of an inspection. Paying a little up front is much better than paying for a surprise later.

·
Visionary
4,624 Posts
Buy the model/ type that inspires you, not the one that you dislike from the start. If you think it's ugly now wait till you spend an hour a day on it, you'll grow to hate it very quickly.

You stated that you like cruisers ( so do i), so that's what you should buy...find a cruiser that's been maintained well and has a good reputation for reliability, read up in brand or bike specific forums about any quirks or common issues with it, and then make your choice.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Where do you live, OP? EN500s are good bikes. The one's you are looking at are a bit old. If you were in AZ, I would sell youna great 2009 for less than any of those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts